SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The local news is worthless - they claim people have storm PTSD..
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The local news is worthless - they claim people have storm PTSD.. Login/Join 
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted
We had hurricane Beryl and it has been raining almost every day since then. I’m at 19.2 inches of rain for this month, 52.5 for the year. I’m trying to get my fence repaired but I have standing water in my back yard, some places an inch deep.

Yes, it’s frustrating, but I still managed to pull out two old posts and clean up some mess in all of this slop. So I take a break and look at the local news and see what these idiots are posting as news stories. Storm PTSD…

Storm PTSD
IS IT STILL RAINING!?
HOUSTON – For a lot of us, another round of storms and heavy downpours stirs familiar and uncomfortable feelings after all the recent flooding we’ve had.
From the Deadly Derecho back in May to the most recent Hurricane Beryl that caused severe damage to the Houston area and claimed the lives of more than 10 people, residents are now gearing up for another stretch of rain which is leaving many of us on edge, to say the least.

And this is NOT Houston’s first rodeo or our first Hurricane season, which is why we’re all holding our breath for what’s to come.
Hurricane Harvey and other major storms have taken a lasting toll on some residents over the years. The threat of losing it all again is raw and real and a lot to deal with.

“I know it sounds a little silly, but, you know, I raised plants and I just had numerous plants that I’ve had for three years, and they’re just gone. And things (like) the crafts that I do, they’re just all washed away,” Porter resident Brandy Olson told KPRC 2 during our stretch of severe weather in May.
Why FEMA may have denied your request for help after Hurricane Beryl
“Disaster trauma is a very real thing. And in this case, we’re talking about flashbacks of, well, another flood. My home might get flooded. There’s rain. What’s going to happen to my family? What happens to my cars, my people, my pets, my places?” Chau Nguyen, a licensed trauma therapist with JEM Wellness & Counseling.
Here’s her advice:
“What I would encourage you to do is as you’re worrying and seeking support, just know that if you can just take a step back and look at it for what it is and just remain calm and look at the facts. Maybe that obsessive worrying that you’re looking at, that could lessen it.”

Posts: 4222 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
There's a storm coming, and it's going to separate the weak from the strong. The weak will not survive.

As sure as I type this, there's a storm coming.

Posts: 109016 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I was in Okinawa when we had 28 named storms come through in one year.

Been through about 30 Hurricanes, and tropical storms in 50 years in the Florida Panhandle.

Some were pretty spicy, and a lot of deaths and damage over those years.

But, I'll take a Cat5 over a forest fire/wildfire every day that ends with a digit.

It's easier to dig out than to dig back in.

"Yep! Storm's a'comin'..."

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44444 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
This is part of the "climate change" horse shit. Republicans and "climate change deniers" Roll Eyes are to blame that the temp has gone up, you see, so they are responsible for the weather and hurricanes and terrifying/traumatizing people, PTSD and the like.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Pretty soon, PTSD will overtake ADHD as the most abused bullshit diagnosis. Of course, properly diagnosed PTSD is real, but every little thing is PTSD is totally bullshit.

Q

Posts: 27498 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't figure out when all of the sudden, we had so many cases of PTSD and people needing some sort of coping mechanism like a pet, safe spaces, etc., when they were not exposed to anything traumatic other than just saying they were. I suspect narcissism for a good part of it.

Posts: 7054 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PTSD is rare. During Katrina you are stuck in the attic with no way out. That could be PTSD. It is overdiagnosed.

Posts: 17478 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
It is overdiagnosed.

As much as I want to agree with you, have you noticed some of the weak-minded, pansy-assed bitches running around today?

These snowflakes get triggered because of clouds.
Then it's OK because the rest of the "influencers" out there say it's OK. Pure "victimhood" only perpetuated by more "victimhood".

(Then we add a little fuel to the fire by putting warning labels on simple shit- like guns, scissors, lawn mowers...)

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8519 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^THIS...100%!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9428 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
^^^THIS...100%!

Amen

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36897 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
This is part of the "climate change" horse shit. Republicans and "climate change deniers" Roll Eyes are to blame that the temp has gone up, you see, so they are responsible for the weather and hurricanes and terrifying/traumatizing people, PTSD and the like.

We need to bring back human sacrifices - starting with the climate change alarmists and the politicians who support them.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14142 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
This is a media frenzy designed to keep people in fear. It's not the weather forecast any more it's Storm Tracker 8, Severe Weather 7, Channel 2 Safe weather etc.

Every chance of rain is "Severe storm threat for this area live at 4pm, 5pm, 530pm, 6pm, 615pm etc. They always make it sound like the storm is going to lay waste to the surrounding area like a nuclear attack.... and you get a few sprinkles.

From the PTSD perspective, if you're talking about it openly and/or joking about it, you absolutely do not have PTSD. Knock it off. It's not a joke, a punch line, or a feel sorry for me thing. Just STOP.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38196 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:...
We need to bring back human sacrifices - starting with the climate change alarmists and the politicians who support them.

Betcha a banana if that were done, the climate issues would calm down overnight.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44444 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I read somewhere that last Sunday was the hottest day in the history of (records kept) Earth. Some ur-o-pee-an weather agency said so.

That shit story has been circulated by EVERY news agency on Earth this week. IIRC, the change was 0.01 degree in the average global temperature.

Beware, the end is near. The liberals' crusade continues.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20387 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
It wasn't just your local news. Several of the major networks were carrying stories about this.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1896 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Getting the script from Commie Central, passing out their gold-standard currency, victimhood.

Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

I was actually reading an interesting article the other day and it seems that people do have a price they’re willing to pay “for the future of our planet,” surprise surprise. I can’t remember where I saw the article but the nuts and bolts of it were that in the last 4 years, the percentage of people willing to purchase electric cars or hybrids has decreased. The percentage of people willing to move further towards the “green new deal” type crap has decreased. And the percentage of people that feel we must have further green energy has decreased. The numbers weren’t huge, on average of 8% if memory serves me, but that is significant, and I think that the overall perception of wind and solar power has decreased by more than that number.

I wouldn’t say that the percentage of people that have concern for climate change has decreased significantly, but I would say that the level of their concern has decreased. I think they realize that the cost of these programs has hit them particularly hard, and they don’t like it. I think some common sense has also kicked in and they realize that why is it just the Western world that has to keep achieving stricter and stricter controls, when we are already significantly cleaner than the developing world, and they are pretty much allowed to pollute with impunity. As has been said many times before, people are concerned up until the point that it affects their wallet. Right now, their wallets are hurting and no matter how loud the climate alarmists beat their drum, people realize they have bigger concerns.

It was actually something of a sign of hope, when I read the article. The writer of the article was of course incredibly alarmed that people were feeling this way, and that made me feel even better. Man made, significant climate change is a huge scam and the thoughts have been incredibly hurtful to western civilization.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5614 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In 2016 we had a rain event of Biblical proportions . My wife and I and the dog were evacuated from our home by airboat . Later , I measured the watermark in my foyer at 49 inches. This was no joke . When the water went down and we were able to get back to my house , opening the front door for the first time was traumatic . This kind of shit happens to other people , right ? There was an inch of mud on the floor and the refrigerator was lying on it's side in the door from the foyer to the kitchen . Almost everything we owned had either gone underwater or been exposed to 100% humidity for several days . I can't describe to you the gut wrenching feeling at seeing the devastation for the first time . And then there's the demo , dry out and rebuild that follows . So call it PTSD or whatever you wish , but when we get a really hard rain and it lasts for a long time and I'm watching the creek in the back start to rise I get the chills and I start pacing the house and looking out the windows . It's easy to make jokes about it until you live the nightmare .

Posts: 4242 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The good news is if we all paid a few trillion more in taxes, reverted to living in the 1700’s ( except the chosen ones of course) all the climate change would just go away.

I did hear a called on Dave Ramsey last week, family in Michigan had lost everything including their home in a tornado a few months ago. And they were renters. And special needs children. So just fooked hard by life. But they were looking for advice. I could see how some folks would just break mentally.

Posts: 4954 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post
Luckily, Ms. Yellen says we only have to fund the anti-climate change for 3 Trillion dollars each year! Just eliminate Social Security, Medicare, VA benefits and border security and we'll be good!

“The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable...”
― H.L. Mencken

-All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Posts: 4837 | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post