SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help me find a sawhorse
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me find a sawhorse Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
I'm looking for a couple of collapsible sawhorses that I can use to create a temporary, heavy-duty workbench. I saw these on Amazon:

I really like being able to add a 2x4 between the sawhorses to strengthen the table top, but, from the reviews, these seem to be pretty flimsy. Any suggestions for a similar, but sturdier product, preferably one made in the USA?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4945 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dubya
posted Hide Post
2x4basics 90196 Custom Pro Brackets Sawhorse - Black , 2 Pack

Every thing I have bought from this company has been sturdy. 3 outdoor benches, work table...

May dog Rambo on one of the benches:

Sons of the Republic of Texas, NRA, TSRA
God Bless America

Posts: 4075 | Location: The Great Lone Star State, Texas | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dubya:
2x4basics 90196 Custom Pro Brackets Sawhorse - Black , 2 Pack

Every thing I have bought from this company has been sturdy. 3 outdoor benches, work table...

May dog Rambo on one of the benches:

I like the looks of those, but I don't think they offer the portability (easy take-down and storage) that I'm looking for.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4945 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
I've never been disappointed with Kreg.

Trackhorse.

Posts: 3048 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
I’m sorry...when I read the thread title I wanted to answer “Where was the last place you saw it?”

But nevermind now...

Razz

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1748 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
My apologies, 4x5, the margaritas turned me into a smart ass...

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1748 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigFan:
My apologies, 4x5, the margaritas turned me into a smart ass...

No problem! I thought the same thing when I posted the title Big Grin

ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

posted Hide Post
I have the Kobalt horses from Lowes. They work great and fold down for storage.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobal...-Capacity/5000283155

Posts: 3683 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of the Toughbuilt. They are the C700 series. I have to say when I bought them, I wasn’t thrilled about dropping $100 for two sawhorses.

They are worth every penny. They adjust every way under the sun, you can create a table that is very sturdy, it’ll accept 2x4 or 4x4, has lower “shelves” on the legs, overall, they are quite fantastic.

The best part is they fold up and take almost no space. Small enough I can hide them under my rolling toolboxes.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4365 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I have the one's Beancooker has and agree with every word he said. I'll also offer up a Centipede, for portability it's tough to beat. I use one for breaking down sheet goods.
https://boratool.com/centipede-workbenches

Posts: 3541 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I use a pair of these Werner aluminum work stands as sawhorses. The top step is made for standing on, so they work well for around the garage reaching things on top of cabinets, etc. They also come in 3ft and 4ft heights, but I find the 2ft model the most convenient for multiple uses, especially since you can stand on the top step (rated for that).

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10883 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How big a workbench and how much weight?

Most jobs I would use this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...estprodtagk166269-20

If you need to go large, I use this.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/BO...227-_-308813175-_-N&

I don't use saw horses for work benches most of the time. Unless it a cut for just a couple of boards

Posts: 4784 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
The toughest folding saw horses I've ever seen are these Fultons. They have no fancy bracketry or adjustments, but they fold up more compactly and can hold 1000lbs per pair.

Probably not the best product for creating a temporary table. I've had mine for 20+ years. Made in USA and galvanized.

Posts: 1576 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
The Toughbuilt seem pretty strong. Andrew Camarata uses them to hold big steel I-beams in his videos.

Posts: 3248 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why not just build them your self out of 2x4s? Put it together with Torx deck screws, take it apart in a minute or so. Easy and cheap. You can also get folding brackets that save having to cut the proper angle on the top of the legs.

Posts: 1646 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Love the Kreg stuff too! Cool

Posts: 23227 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
THIS is the best, and suprisingly the cheapest, saw horses I have used to date. These "Burro" brand all wood horses from Lowes. They are extremetly well made, very strong, the stack beautifully, and are very light. I bought two a year ago, and bought three more last week:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/BURRO...-lb-Capacity/3347070

Can't go wrong. I highly recommend.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8931 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
I have a pair of the Toughbuilt. They are the C700 series. I have to say when I bought them, I wasn’t thrilled about dropping $100 for two sawhorses.

They are worth every penny. They adjust every way under the sun, you can create a table that is very sturdy, it’ll accept 2x4 or 4x4, has lower “shelves” on the legs, overall, they are quite fantastic.

The best part is they fold up and take almost no space. Small enough I can hide them under my rolling toolboxes.

I bought a pair last week. Everything you said is spot on! I used them extensively this weekend. Thay are great.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8659 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I make mine....make an I beam, leaving to tops and bottoms long by three inches...then. Screw in some legs with four inch deck screws, and a cross member on either end...they sytack well and i store them outside.

With the I beam construction (tops left long)I can clamp to the ends or anywhere in the middle

https://www.lumberjocks.com/as...-438x.jpg?1233606531

Like these but with a notch in the I beam center part

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11476 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
I’ve had a pair of these for years. Rated at 1000 pounds. They’ve been great.

Stanley Adjustable Sawhorses

Posts: 616 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post