SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is there a way to receive texts to a number not my actual cell phone number?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there a way to receive texts to a number not my actual cell phone number? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
I give very few folks my cellphone number and plan to keep it that way.

I am interested in this Parler business but one is required to give a phone number to receive a text for confirmation.
Is there an app or something that will give me a number to get texts?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25430 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Try this.
https://receive-smss.com

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43907 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Would Google Voice be a solution?

Link

Posts: 10972 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I use the Burner app to keep fully functional, disposable numbers handy.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
I use the Burner app to keep fully functional, disposable numbers handy.

-Rob

Yep, this works.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Does the Burner app require you to give them your cellphone number??

Google Voice requires the cellphone number for verification as well just like Parler.
Kind of defeats the purpose of me not wanting to give my cell number.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25430 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Google voice will expire and.reassign your voice number if you don't use for a few months.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
Google voice will expire and.reassign your voice number if you don't use for a few months.

They send an email 30 days prior saying they will deactivate if not used. Go to your account, send text to yourself, done. I found this to be a fair inconvenience for the free service.

Posts: 516 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Does the Burner app require you to give them your cellphone number??

Google Voice requires the cellphone number for verification as well just like Parler.
Kind of defeats the purpose of me not wanting to give my cell number.

If you have an android phone, Google already has your cell number.

Posts: 10972 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigeinkcmo:
I joined Parler recently after Twitter pounded my voice into the ground...third account reboot and I decided I had enough. I don't normally like to give out my cell either, but Parler seems pretty benign. I only received the one verification email and nothing since.

Good luck with Parler. I set up an account. Later I deleted the Protonmail.com account I used to set it up, now I am locked out. Can't get back in. Every option to recover the account hinges on having access to that now deleted e-mail account. Even is you select "Forgot E-mail" in the account recovery options, they send you an e-mail to that forgotten account. And setting up a new account is a no-go as the phone I would use "already exists."

Oh, and Parler does occasionally, like Twitter, send out a code to your phone to input. If you don't have access to that number when they do it, I have no idea how you can continue on Parler.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use google voice for this.

If I want to keep my number private I give someone my google voice number.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
Good luck with Parler. I set up an account. Later I deleted the Protonmail.com account I used to set it up, now I am locked out. Can't get back in. Every option to recover the account hinges on having access to that now deleted e-mail account. Even is you select "Forgot E-mail" in the account recovery options, they send you an e-mail to that forgotten account. And setting up a new account is a no-go as the phone I would use "already exists."

Oh, and Parler does occasionally, like Twitter, send out a code to your phone to input. If you don't have access to that number when they do it, I have no idea how you can continue on Parler.

Thanks. I was wondering if a disposable number or email might cause an issue. That's basically why I just used my cell and said screw it. I'm not that thrilled with Parler but it's better than nothing. Twitter basically destroyed my will to fight their censorship.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Google Voice works for me. First dates, Craigslist meetups, online things, etc...

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Try this.
https://receive-smss.com

What's the context of using this? I see lots of uber set up codes and pin codes and one for muslim matrimony.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19678 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Google Voice works for me. First dates, Craigslist meetups, online things, etc...
Yep, I use mine all the time to fend off car dealer follow ups, realtor inquiries, online signups that require a verification phone number, and the like. Works like a champ.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Good topic and info, but a few questions:

What is gained over just blocking numbers you don't want to hear from anymore? I'm essentially anti-social, so maybe I just don't get it.

Isn't google still the devil? Or has all been lost long ago so who cares?

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Yep, I use mine all the time to fend off car dealer follow ups, realtor inquiries, online signups that require a verification phone number, and the like. Works like a champ.

What do you do when they keep contacting you through your Google Voice number?

Year V

Posts: 2632 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:

What do you do when they keep contacting you through your Google Voice number?

Turn off notifications.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I opened an account on MeWe. I don’t trust that Parler is anything other than another data mining operation, aimed at the right.

Posts: 5741 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sign up for Pinger. It will also give you an additional cell number. Few ads here and there. Otherwise, no cost.

Posts: 2476 | Location: E. of Mississippi River | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post