SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    It's US Constitution Day
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's US Constitution Day Login/Join 
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted
If it were up to me I'd gladly trade Labor Day or Juneteenth Day and instead celebrate Constitution Day as a national holiday. As it is, it's far too often forgotten or overlooked for other activities and events.

I used to re-read both the Declaration of Independence and The US Constitution every Independence Day, but in recent years have split that up and read the DoI on Independence Day and the US Constitution when commemorating Constitution Day.

Although it might take a little digging, various celebrations can be found around the US. The Constitution Center in Philadelphia holds annual celebrations that includes free museum admission, and often includes naturalization ceremonies for new American citizens.

The tiny town of Grand Lake, in Colorado, holds an entire week of celebrations to commemorate this important day...and is now offering Zoom video conferencing for those who can't attend in person.

Grand Lake Constitution Week

US Constitution history.
https://www.constitutionday.com/

Edited: to correct a misspelled word.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Modern Day Savage,

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In a lot of small towns the DAR ladies read the Constitution aloud to the public from the courthouse steps or some other central location. My mom has participated many times over the years.

Posts: 401 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
It is the perfect document regarding the subservience of the state to the people.

It creates a three-way tug-o’-war, thereby ensuring two branches can not collude with each other.

It guarantees, the individual’s pre-existing or natural rights.

It can be amended, and the bar for doing to is set deliberately high, and even then, the 18th Amendment shows why.

The writers were brilliant.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post