SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What should I look for in a new Samsung TV?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What should I look for in a new Samsung TV? Login/Join 
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted
I'm going to buy a 49-55" Samsung TV this weekend and could use some help picking between their models. I just want something with a good picture, so it doesn't have to be the best. Any advice? I'll probably end up getting it at Costco or Walmart.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
If you have space, get the biggest in your budget. I like the ones that say Motion Rate 240 or higher. We always buy Samsung.

Posts: 17901 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Thank you both for the Motion Rate and the link!

posted Hide Post
I’ll be upgrading to 4K and OLED. Not sure if I’m going to go with Dolby Vision or not.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You want at a minimum a 7000 series, but personally would prefer 8000 series which is UHD 4k and motion rate 240 (the model number will be 4 digits and start with an 8)

Costco has a 55" 8000 series on sale till the 27th for $879.99 and Costco doubles the warranty so 2 years warranty with it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
You want at a minimum a 7000 series, but personally would prefer 8000 series which is UHD 4k and motion rate 240 (the model number will be 4 digits and start with an 8)

Costco has a 55" 8000 series on sale till the 27th for $879.99 and Costco doubles the warranty so 2 years warranty with it.

That is the TV I'm on my way to look at now. Most of their other motion rates are in the 150 range. The only concern I have is the OLED will come down in price next year and I'll regret not waiting.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
The only concern I have is the OLED will come down in price next year and I'll regret not waiting.

Samsung does not make OLED > that is LG.
Samsung uses a different technology called Quantum Dot.
The cheaper panels (TV's) you see are a step down in quality/technology.

Which is better > depends on what you want.
IMO, these technologies are the latest and the best and perhaps more important that dwelling on 4K or refresh rates.
I tend to like the OLED a bit more but YMMV.

http://oled.lcdtvbuyingguide.c.../quantum-dot-tv.html

Posts: 22930 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
If you have space, get the biggest in your budget. I like the ones that say Motion Rate 240 or higher. We always buy Samsung.

The stuff you watch is typically filmed at 24 fps, so the only reason the refresh rate matters is the number of times it displays the same image. 120hz is five times per frame, 240hz is 10x per frame. The only thing you don't want is 60hz since it's not divisible by 24 and can end up with some jerkiness.

Agreed on biggest for space/budget. When I bought my first one I thought 65" was too big, I was wrong, I could go to 75 or larger and be happy. I have never heard one person say, damn I really wish I got the smaller TV.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20836 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Just picked up a 55 Samsung curve at Costco and used their credit card. 4 yr warranty.

Posts: 5308 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:

The stuff you watch is typically filmed at 24 fps, so the only reason the refresh rate matters is the number of times it displays the same image. 120hz is five times per frame, 240hz is 10x per frame. The only thing you don't want is 60hz since it's not divisible by 24 and can end up with some jerkiness.

Agreed on biggest for space/budget. When I bought my first one I thought 65" was too big, I was wrong, I could go to 75 or larger and be happy. I have never heard one person say, damn I really wish I got the smaller TV.

The problem is Motion Rate 120 in Samsung language is a 60hz panel and Motion Rate 240 is actually 120hz panel. That's some sneaky marketing they explain as a performance equivalent due to software benefits.

Posts: 17901 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Can't get technical with y'all, but bought the one below at Costco. Beautiful picture and really eas to use and hook up with other devices. It's $1800

https://m.costco.com/Samsung-7...oduct.100354142.html

Posts: 5341 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Can't get technical with y'all, but bought the one below at Costco. Beautiful picture and really eas to use and hook up with other devices. It's $1800

https://m.costco.com/Samsung-7...oduct.100354142.html

I've had the 65" model of that set for a couple months. Have been very happy with it. I could have spent double wasn't convinced my eyes would notice any difference.

Posts: 1773 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the advice. That $879 Samsung has an outstanding picture. Their Q series did as well, but it's $600 more.

My plasma is still going strong, so if I wait a year will the Q TVs come down even more?

Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:

*snipped* so if I wait a year will the Q TVs come down even more?

Almost as surely as the sun will come up tomorrow.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
quote:

*snipped* so if I wait a year will the Q TVs come down even more?

Almost as surely as the sun will come up tomorrow.

And even more the year after that, and the year after that's! I paid $1300 for a 32" LCD once upon a time ten years ago

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
My Dad was wondering if the Samsung 55 in. 2160p 4K HDR 120 Motion Rate Smart TV UN55MU6071 on sale for $399.99 on shopmyexchange.com is a good deal?

I understand it isn't top of the line, and isn't a 240 model, but he only wants it for 1080P.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
My Dad was wondering if the Samsung 55 in. 2160p 4K HDR 120 Motion Rate Smart TV UN55MU6071 on sale for $399.99 on shopmyexchange.com is a good deal?

I understand it isn't top of the line, and isn't a 240 model, but he only wants it for 1080P.

The 6071 suffix indicates that it is a custom version of a Series 6. The articles that talked about the Black Friday units mention that some of the specials lack features. You'd have to look at the specifications closely in comparison to a 6000 or 6070 to see whether it is really a good deal.

Posts: 2775 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Look for one that doesn't monitor your conversations.

https://www.cnet.com/news/sams...living-room-chatter/

Posts: 26932 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
No more Samsung's in our family.
My daughter bought one less than a year ago (55").
She bought it at Costco and had them install it on her wall, it was never moved after that. Just after 6 months it had a picture problem. She called Costco and they arranged to have Samsung come out to look at it. They claimed the TV was damaged and would not fix it.Costco also refused to replace it. I researched the problem and found hundreds of reports of the exact same problem and the exact same out come, Samsung would NOT repair or replace.
Replaced with a LG 55" OLED, GREAT picture and sound.

Posts: 4634 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Look for one that doesn't monitor your conversations.

https://www.cnet.com/news/sams...living-room-chatter/

Do the new ones record you as well?