SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Medical: Does ADHD even exist?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Medical: Does ADHD even exist? Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Big pharma says, “Hell yes. Move on.”

“Does ADHD in fact exist? This week the BBC’s Panorama programme quite rightly exposed some very worrying private clinics.

In online consultations, staff had diagnosed a BBC reporter with ADHD — attention deficit hyperactivity disorder — despite an in-person, and far longer, assessment by an NHS psychiatrist concluding that he didn’t have the condition.

The clinics, while charging rather plump fees, seemed to have an extremely relaxed attitude towards diagnosing this increasingly common complaint.

It is a huge issue. ADHD was once mainly confined to children but is now spreading rapidly into the adult populations of the Western world.

The clinics, one of them working on behalf of the overloaded NHS, were also willing to prescribe powerful stimulant drugs on the basis of this.

Mainstream doctors drew up their skirts in horror. Very alarming stuff. But the whole programme was based on two assumptions.

The first was that ADHD exists at all, and the second was that there is some gold standard objective, testable diagnosis, against which these clinics can be judged.

I know this will get me into all kinds of trouble. The ADHD lobby is huge and powerful and turns with fury on its critics. It propels legions of people into lifelong prescriptions, as it officially cannot be cured, only ‘treated’. …”

DailyMail article:
https://mol.im/a/12096593

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8942 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
It absolutely exists.

It absolutely is overdiagnosed.

Posts: 3660 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
It absolutely exists.

Exactly this. I'm ADD and can you tell you there is a marked difference between a "normal" person and someone with ADD.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, it exists.

They gave medication to one of my son's friends it made a huge difference in his life.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have ADHD, I have struggled with it my whole life. Being in the military actually has helped due to the structure but I wish it were easier for me to have meds in the military.

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had it when I was a kid some 60 years ago. Dad's backhand to the side of my head seemed to have fixed it.

Posts: 641 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Yes, and it's no fun. I have a mild case, and my daughter has it for real.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12774 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pace40:
Had it when I was a kid some 60 years ago. Dad's backhand to the side of my head seemed to have fixed it.

That didn't take long.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post

Dr. Berg for the win. Smile

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I think it has always existed, but we used to say those people were just easily distracted. It wasn't a disorder, it was just a personality trait. I'm pretty sure I would have been diagnosed with ADD when I was younger, or even now. I was just a daydreamer and wouldn't be engaged mentally in things I wasn't as interested in.

Even now, as an adult, I have to constantly pause and think "What am I doing now? What should I be doing now? Oh, get back on task and finish what I should be working on now." I am laser focused on the things that are interesting to me and easily distracted with the mundane, but mostly necessary, day-to-day tasks that I'm not interested in.

I don't like diagnosing personality traits as disorders. It makes you think there's something wrong with you. Nope. You're perfectly normal. You have faults, just like everyone else.

My son is a lot like me and when he was in kindergarten they wanted to diagnose him as either ADD or autistic. I said they were wrong and that he just needed more attention and structure. So we spent years giving him more close attention and structure. Today, he's a smart, funny, 13 year old kid that everyone loves to be around, both kids his age and adults. He knows how to take care of himself and because of homeschooling, he's learning more and more how to think independently and solve problems.

I've noticed a huge improvement in his memory retention, drive and motivation this year. He was always behind the rest of the kids in class, but I think now he's ahead of most his age.

I don't like it when kids are diagnosed with ADD, ADHD, or autism. I believe that once that label is put on a kid or even a person, then you put limits on what you can do or limits on your expectations.

It is my opinion that your brain needs structure and exercise through discipline and routine to overcome these traits and I don't believe psychotropic medications are the answer. But that's my opinion.

But I do agree that some people's brains can be mis-wired enough that it falls outside of the normal realm of ADD/ADHD. We have a local young adult in our neighborhood who is obviously off and I don't know if it's a genetic disorder or if psychotropic medications made him that way over the years. I don't know his medical history and I don't want to.

There are a lot of layers to the topic, but that's my drive-by commentary.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
Dr. Berg for the win. Smile

Yeah, but I swear he (and other "experts") would treat multiple GSWs with the ketogenic diet.

The DMAE recommendation was a new one on me though, will have to check that out further.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
It absolutely exists.

No question about it.

Posts: 950 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People who deny its existence simply never tried to raise a child cursed with it. Nothing works to "fix" it if the kid has it - no amount of discipline, work, attention, or medications. If I ever wrote a book about raising my son, I would title it, "Living with Tom Sawyer".

Aunt Polly had it easy.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2066 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
I have 3 sons and a daughter. Two of my sons have it, and one does not. It's night and day difference as to how they're wired for tasks, homework, priorities, and even sports.

It's amazing and wonderful how different they all are, but simply from observing these boys I can say something is wired differently and causes, especially my middle son, great distress and inability to stay on task for certain things.

I can literally watch his focus (figuratively) slip through his fingers when we're working on math homework together.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9154 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
50/50... Some kids legit have it. Others just never had their ass wore out!!

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8849 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
There's probably a name for the normal mob reaction that amplifies such trends. A "new" condition is identified with a new medicine and inevitably, the number of diagnosis exponentially increases.

We had a friend's son who was going to be held back a grade and won't be allowed to go back to school unless he was medicated.

They went home school instead and he soared academically and didn't need any medication.

It applies to any trends; I just don't know how it starts to snowball.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I'd never consider it a curse.

I have read of opinions and speculation that some of the greatest figures in history, especially military history, very likely had ADD, and most certainly would today, be diagnosed with ADHD.

As for the backhand comment...there is something to that. The "cure" for ADHD is discipline and acceptable coping mechanisms.

I believe someday people will look back on the solutions of today with disdain and horror. I already do.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13951 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
There's probably a name for the normal mob reaction that amplifies such trends. A "new" condition is identified with a new medicine and inevitably, the number of diagnosis exponentially increases.

We had a friend's son who was going to be held back a grade and won't be allowed to go back to school unless he was medicated.

They went home school instead and he soared academically and didn't need any medication.

It applies to any trends; I just don't know how it starts to snowball.

Yeah. I’ve noticed that “gluten intolerance” seems to be a popular malady in some groups of people nowadays. I doubt not that some actually have the malady, but I’m pretty sure that some that say they do, don’t.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8942 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is a curse when it’s undiagnosed or untreated. I was diagnosed at 19. School was difficult and so was socializing.

posted Hide Post
Also, getting slapped in the head might straighten out unruly adolescence when it gets out of hand, but it will never make someone with ADHD focus.