SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Afghanistan Exit, When Is The Right Time? A Replay of History?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Afghanistan Exit, When Is The Right Time? A Replay of History? Login/Join 
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted
Our extrication from Afghanistan, at this point, reminds me of our Vietnam exit in the 70's.
Lots of differences for sure, but a number of similarities too.
Sad for the veterans of both wars and for the locals that were on our side who will suffer the most in the near term.
When would be the right time if you were in charge and why?

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is no right time. We aren’t built to nation build and nobody is changing those people. We of course are now risking that by abandoning our allies over there we are creating our next enemies.

Our strategy over there was wrong from the beginning. Small special warfare ops and kill who needs to be killed, bomb what needed bombing, never put large force in place. Make sure everyone understood we would rinse and repeat if necessary.

Posts: 7500 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
When would be the right time if you were in charge and why?
Over a decade ago. Staying in A-Stan is asinine and costs money and military lives for nothing. The generals who bucked Trump when he tried to bring home the troops should have been buried under the capital, and people put in place who would follow the orders of the CIC.

A-Stan is a failure by any metric. As such, we should be moving troops and equipment out right now, and be clear of the country by August 1. Just make sure to have the troops burn ever single poppy field to the ground on the way out. Let's see how that S-hole country does with their main cash cow butchered.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Our strategy over there was wrong from the beginning. Small special warfare ops and kill who needs to be killed, bomb what needed bombing, never put large force in place. Make sure everyone understood we would rinse and repeat if necessary.

Agreed. This was not a place we should have ever committed to a serious ground presence. I have had actual arguments with people trying to say we made a mess over there and now it's our responsibility to clean it up - that we can't just pick up and leave. I say that's nonsense. There's no cleaning anything up, there's nothing to gain from staying over there one more day, if we're not talking about the poppy fields and what the CIA is or isn't doing with them. I mean, what's our "win condition?" I've never seen it put in a realistic frame, like "kill all the terrorists and nation build to the point where the people decide they love democracy and the idea of a republic and do it themselves." Ask absolutely anyone who went over there wearing a uniform, and they'll tell you those people don't want it and we can't make them want it.

It's time to get the fuck out. No more dead or maimed American servicemen for a country nobody gives a shit about. We need to stop throwing money and bodies at whatever it is we think the problem is over there. Terrorists? I think our resources would be better spent on making it so nothing and nobody gets through our borders without serious scrutiny, but that's racist and xenophobic and we need to keep shedding blood on soil nobody wants because that's true patriotism or something. Roll Eyes

Posts: 17137 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is no right time. We aren’t built to nation build and nobody is changing those people. We of course are now risking that by abandoning our allies over there we are creating our next enemies.

^this^^

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The right time to leave would have been years ago. Why the fuck are we there? No American lives are worth that shithole. One of Trump’s biggest mistakes IMO was not getting our troops the fuck out of there and then roasting Mattis and all those like him who want to perpetuate endless wars.

Our own back yard is melting down and we spend trillions of dollars defending borders thousands of miles from our country. This is how countries die.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21109 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Afghanistan- the asshole of the planet.

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I love how we flipped the power off & didn’t tell the locals Adios. Left all those vehicles behind & left them without keys. Bailing from Bagram however makes it hard to withdraw the Terps who provided us assistance out.

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:

Definitely. Afghanistan is a stone age country run by tribal warlords. If our leaders took the time to read a little history, they would have known not to go in there. The British tried to do some nation building of their own in the 1840s with even worse results.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6405 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Like many here, I'm old enough to have lived during the Vietnam mess and there are so many lessons from that one that should have helped guide our leaders on this one.
At the start, it was a knee jerk reaction to the emotions right after 9/11. But within a few years we should have come out from under the ether and changed course. But we thought we were smarter and more just than the Russians a few years earlier and that would make things work.
Instead we doubled down in Iraq.
Lets just hope that in another 20 years or so our population and leaders will have learned something, but recent history doesn't make me optimistic that we will do better next time. And there will be a next time.
Hopefully the Russians and Chinese will be distracted by it for a while.

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
GTFO, now. Sure, the Taliban will probably fully take over, but there's just nothing we can do about it. I only ask two things: don't leave weapons or equipment behind - destroy it if necessary - and give asylum to Afghans who helped us, as the Taliban will kill them.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
What a dump. They're not even human there. The Chinese will bring a level of brutality so hard on them (Afghanistan has natural gas resources) the Afghans will wish the Russians and Americans were there again. At least the Iraqis had infrastructure.

The landscape of Afghanistan is actually quite beautiful. Too bad it's ruined by Afghans.

Posts: 13117 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
We should have left on December 10, 2001, the day after Kandahar was declared secured by Karzi's militia.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The mere fact that Russia pulled out and just left most of their fighting equipment behind says all that needs to be known.

It’s a lost cause in every way. Tribal and primitive.

Posts: 796 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
It was never realistic - nor was it so in Iraq - to think they would adopt western-style democracy. They never had it, don't want it and wouldn't know what to do with it if they had it. Some people just need a boot firmly planted on their heads.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And just like other theaters we have withdrawn from in the past when the Commies had the reins, the enemy was given a target date by the Idiot in Charge. I refuse give him the honor of being called Commander.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2891 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A long fucking time ago.

Some of you have heard this story before.

I spent a year there as an advisor a decade ago. I was embedded with a helo unit (yeah, I know, it doesn't make any sense, go ask Big Blue why they did it). As advisers we were a mixed nationality unit. I worked with guys from Hungry, the Czech Republic, and Croatia, most of them pretty good guys who had been there before. Those who had been there before said we were dealing with the same problems in 2010 that they saw in 2007-8. Graft, no accountability, no command and control, no training. I saw no progress while I was there and heard the same stories from guys who were advisors 2-3 years later. The only Afghans I met that were worth a damn were some of the translators that worked for us. We can not enforce change in that country from outside. There is not a fucking thing there that is worth another drop of American blood. Fuck em.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
We should have left as soon as bin laden slept with the fishes. Grab our translators and their families if they wanted to become Americans and bomb the hell out of everything of value we needed to leave.

Posts: 3502 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Asscrackastain - Went there in the military and went back as a contractor. Lost cause from jump street.

We left a shit ton of vehicles, supplies and probably weapons when we bugged out.

Posts: 7020 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
That's the primary part of their GDP- equipment abandonded by foreign armies.

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post