SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    DVR Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DVR Question Login/Join 
posted
Trying to help an elderly friend of my parents. Lives in a community that provides basic TV channels. She wants to be able to record a few shows off that provided service. Shows may be on at same time and but it wouldn't be more than 2 shows at the same time.
Tivo Bolt is being used by some but that comes with a fee. She's not really looking for an additional services that Tivo might provide. Just wants to be able to record to DVR like we used to do to VHS Tapes.
It's cable TV with a couple of OTA channels.
Any advice on how to tackle this would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 1969 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Simplest way would probably be to upgrade the cable box for $5 (or whatever they charge) extra per month.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20836 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Simplest way would probably be to upgrade the cable box for $5 (or whatever they charge) extra per month.

There isn't a cable box. Community system that sends a signal to all residents units. Frankly I've never seen one like it.
This is in a retirement community in Florida.

Posts: 1969 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Most, if not all, cable channels are DRM-protected (*). I don't know of any off-the-shelf, non-subscription DVRs that can record DRM-protected content.

(*) Digital Rights Management. Thank your government, who established this bullshit at the behest of the entertainment producers.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
weaknees.com sells TiVo boxes with lifetime subscription, so buy once, pay once, no monthly fee.

Or, you can get a TiVo with monthly subscription, but the lifetime thing is a better deal.

We have a TiVo Premier model with lifetime. This one has two coax inputs, one for cable, the other for OTA antenna, so we can record from either source. Ours can record two programs simultaneously; I believe that there are some models that can record four programs.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30711 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post