SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ohio police chief died from opiate overdose after 'stealing fentanyl, heroin and LSD from the evidence room'
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ohio police chief died from opiate overdose after 'stealing fentanyl, heroin and LSD from the evidence room' Login/Join 
posted
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...l-evidence-room.html

Ohio police chief died from opiate overdose after 'stealing fentanyl, heroin and LSD from the evidence room'

Local police chief James Hughes Jr was found on his bathroom floor in May
Ohio man died of a fentanyl overdose shortly after his wife discovered him
Police discovered three syringes in his home. Two tested positive for the opiate
Officers also found packages of heroin and LSD, and more fentanyl in the house
The packaging of the drugs suggested Hughes had stolen from evidence room

An Ohio police chief who died of a drug overdose is believed to have stolen fentanyl from the station's evidence room.

James Hughes Jr, 35, was found on the floor of his bathroom by his wife in May and was pronounced dead soon after.

An investigation saw police seize three syringes; one with fentanyl inside, one which tested positive for the opiate, and one which was empty, as well as a sandwich bag which tested positive for cocaine.

Reynoldsburg Police Department Lieutenant Ron Wright told the Detroit Free Press packaging also found at the scene indicated the drugs may have been evidence for the department's cases.

Hughes, who had been chief for only two months, is believed to have acted alone in his theft.

Wright told NBC along with the opened evidence package, closed packages of heroin, more fentanyl, and LSD were also found inside his Reynoldsburg home.

The father of three became police chief less than a week after his predecessor quit. Hughes earned $14 an hour working 20 hours a week – but the village had recently decided to increase his hours to 32 per week.

Wright said if Hughes was found to have taken the drugs from the evidence room on his own, nobody could be charged over his death.

After his investigation is complete, the Lieutenant intends to pass the case on to the state Attorney General's Office.

It's kind of gone beyond our level. You're talking about another agency's property room,' he said. 'We think the state should probably intervene.'

In the first three months of 2018, 111 people died from an overdose in Franklin County, the coroner's office said.

Fentanyl was involved in 67.5 per cent of those deaths.

Posts: 13128 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a problem that solved itself.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$14/hour for 20+ hours a week. Hard to keep decent employees at that pay scale.

-c1steve

Posts: 4121 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dusty3030:

What it sounds like is suicide.

Posts: 17675 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
a positive outcome

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53852 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dusty3030:

truth

-----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Oopsie!

Posts: 21383 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, I didn't even know they still had a police dept. I thought they were disbanded years ago and the Sheriff took over the calls for service.

35 years old. Sad, pathetic.
Sad for the three kids he is leaving behind.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
$14/hour for 20+ hours a week. Hard to keep decent employees at that pay scale.

It's a town of ~2500 residents. They likely only have a handful of officers, probably all part time.

Looks like their previous chief was killed in the line of duty when he was ambushed while responding to a hostage situation at a nursing home in May 2017.

https://www.whio.com/news/loca...V12CW5BfZ3ISefTQeeM/

This newly appointed chief had a checkered history to begin with, including being disciplined for having a relationship with a female inmate while working at a local Sheriff's Office several years ago, as well as being arrested for disorderly conduct after going on a racist tirade in a fast food restaurant over his food order.

http://radio.wosu.org/post/yea...nal-history#stream/0

Posts: 33110 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
The town was not big enough to have decent quality cocaine in the evidence room . . .

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Looks like he partied like it's 1999.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17196 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Oopsie!

Opiates-sie

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2080 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Most likely an addict for some time, and misjudged the fentanyl. Some of that stuff is so toxic, a few grains is all it takes to kill you.

As others have said, this particular problem solved itself. I pity the family left behind though.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15834 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
You get what you pay for.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8931 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
High standards,
low expectations
Picture of Surefire
posted Hide Post
LSD? I thought that stuff was gone a long time ago, or at least, the “real” stuff was....

The reward for hard work, is more hard work arcwelder76, 2013

Posts: 5252 | Location: Edmonton AB, Canada | Registered: July 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Surefire:
LSD? I thought that stuff was gone a long time ago, or at least, the “real” stuff was....

We've seen it, or its analogs, a lot in the last few years. Everything old is new again.

Posts: 5203 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ummm.... Ok. Just how much dope is seized in Kirkersville anyway? Was that the entire inventory?
The last chief is killed in the line of duty, but they can only muster 14 bucks an hour to hire someone to replace him? Geezus,life is cheap in K-ville!
And they evidently could not muster up any cash for a background check on the new chief.
So much fail in Kirkersville!
Time to contract with the S.O. But my guess is they wont sit still for 14 bucks a hour.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16391 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
He graduated Magna Cum Laudanum.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3888 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post