SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What Type of Rodent Problem Do I Have in my Garage?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Type of Rodent Problem Do I Have in my Garage? Login/Join 
Banned
posted
I recently discovered what looked like some dirt and small rocks coming out from under a storage rack in my garage. In sweeping it out, I noticed a whole lot more near the back, and under the adjacent fridge. I moved out the fridge, and discovered what looks to be some sort of vermin scat, and possible earth?

Any ideas what I am dealing with? I have no clue how all of this earth could have made it from under the garage into the garage. I have no other explanation for what this could be though. At first I thought a bag of dirt or something opened up in the rack, but I have nothing of the sort stored. .

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Mouse or rat shit. Check the fridge motor area for a nest.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Set a couple big rat traps in that area and see what you come up with.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Can mice move that much earth?

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Moving all that earth could be a raccoon or an opossum. ?

Posts: 28645 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I've never seen mice or packrats move dirt. Set some mouse and at least one big rat trap. Wire the rat trap to something so it can't drag it away.

Interested to see what you catch.

FWIW I put out 6 bait stations about 16 months ago. check them regularly and add the poison blocks as needed. Initially I was REALLY going through the bait, now barely any at all. The poison has really stopped our rat and mouse issues. Seems to work better than traps.

Poison is of course not without issues.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I've not seen mice or rats crap in one place like that,
usually the are just crap everywhere, not in somewhat neat rows

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10575 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Chipmunk ? Or a mole ?

Posts: 17984 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Need a better picture of the droppings with something in the pic to provide scale.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5935 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Is it possible the noxious rodents have access to the area behind the fridge from outside, through a void in the wall or slab? Maybe the dirt is from their burrowing to get into the garage.

Posts: 27162 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Where’s the cat thread when you need it?

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6468 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Is it possible the noxious rodents have access to the area behind the fridge from outside, through a void in the wall or slab? Maybe the dirt is from their burrowing to get into the garage.

That's my best guess.

You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
I'd bet mouse or rat. I've seen em do some pretty incredible things to build homes and nests, and def inside of the fridge by the motor more than once. Warm and cozy and safe in there. I'd sticky trap that sucker, and a few other places around it. They love peanut butter.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 7018 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson:
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

That's my best guess.

Seriously, send me a better pic of the droppings with something for scale so I can tell you what it is. Treatment for mice or rats is different.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5935 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dave7378:

Seriously, send me a better pic of the droppings with something for scale so I can tell you what it is. Treatment for mice or rats is different.

Thanks.

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Mice. Looks like there’s a gap at the base of the wall where they’re coming in. Stuff some coarse steel wool in that gap.

Posts: 27162 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Can’t tell if that’s a dime, nickel or quarter from the photo but is that a crack like opening in the floor towards the top of the photo right along the wall. Mice can get through really tiny openings.

Posts: 6960 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P210:
Can’t tell if that’s a dime, nickel or quarter from the photo but is that a crack like opening in the floor towards the top of the photo right along the wall. Mice can get through really tiny openings.

It's a quarter, and yes that is clearly where they are entering/exiting.

Banned
posted Hide Post
This inside the fridge:

Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Yuck! Good luck. Poison outside seems like a good idea to me.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5995 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post