SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question for any (Toyota?) Car Salesmen
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for any (Toyota?) Car Salesmen Login/Join 
posted
I currently drive an Audi that's been somewhat of a maintenance nuisance lately and now has over 80k miles on it. Carvana is offering me almost what I paid for it 18 months ago. It's a pretty easy decision for me to walk away from the car. Looking to get back into a truck or SUV that's much more reliable. The 4Runner definitely fits my list of needs and desires.

Last Monday, I stopped up at the local Toyota dealership and discussed inventory and options with a salesman. He did some research and on Wednesday emailed me the build/option sheet for a vehicle that met my "must haves". I gave him a CC over the phone for a deposit on a 2021 4Runner TRD Off-Road Premium that's currently in transit from Japan and they were going to secure in a dealer trade.

As of this afternoon, they have not secured the vehicle or gotten the other dealership to commit to a trade. How long does this process usually take? The last time I did this 10 years ago, the dealer knew within 24hrs whether or not the other dealer would trade the vehicle.

Then I get the following text from him:
"I just got an update. We have an allocation coming up. We are going to see what we earned. No dealers are going to make any trades until the Toyota month ends which is tomorrow so we will start making calls again on Wednesday. Thanks for your patience. I will be in touch."

Now it sounds like to me they have no clue whether or not they can even secure a vehicle. I'm not in desperate need and the expectation all along was that I wouldn't take delivery until at least early September. However, I was led to believe they had a solid line on the 4Runner I wanted when I gave them a deposit. Given the availability of vehicles right now, should I just be patient until the end of the week or ask for my money back now? My fear is if I ask for my deposit back, I'll just be starting the whole process all over with another dealer.

Also, they agreed to sell it slightly under MSRP when most dealers are asking over MSRP for vehicles like 4Runners.

Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: erikras,

Posts: 1947 | Location: Northeast, OH | Registered: May 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't really answer your question. but I can say that in this market of no inventory there really are no rules that I can see.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11016 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I would bail on this dealer. They may have offered to sell it under MSRP, but since they dont have the vehicle and cant give a date when they will have it, that would kill the deal for me.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16121 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I think I would bail on this dealer. They may have offered to sell it under MSRP, but since they dont have the vehicle and cant give a date when they will have it, that would kill the deal for me.

Well NO dealer in Northern Ohio seems to have a single new 4Runner on the lot other than one overly marked up, top spec, Nightshade. So it's not like I can just pay $500 more to get it right now somewhere else.

Posts: 1947 | Location: Northeast, OH | Registered: May 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erikras:
Also, they agreed to sell it slightly under MSRP when most dealers are asking over MSRP for vehicles like 4Runners.

You always get the best price on the vehicle or gun the dealer doesn't have.

Posts: 6627 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Not a Toyota dealer

I can tell you that I am not trading at all unless I can vastly improve myself on the trade. You want my low level, readily available Equinox? Send me your 2500 Silverado Duramax for it.

Most dealers won't make that trade, it does happen though.

I have been telling folks for months that ordering is the only way I can get them something we don't have. Which is why half of our inbound vehicles are pre sold

In your situation it is probably an overzealous salesman promising something he can't do. Not saying they're shady, they just didn't know. They walk in my office all the time. Hey, can you get me this Tahoe? No, sorry. I can order them one though

Posts: 5350 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i would ride it out a while. Establish a re pore with your salesman. Stick by your original deal.

I get what everyone is saying. But that is not what I see. Sure vehicles are not plentiful on lots, etc. But the whole "its crazy out there" perpetuates panic and pour buying decisions. Benefiting only those who are trying to sell you something.

Do not panic or buy into the whole "the sky is falling". Its not, its really not.

Be patient.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19242 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All 4runner trims are selling at or over sticker in today's market. I cant see any dealer trading one away.

I ordered my TRD Pro last September and it arrived in early January. At this point in the calendar, I suggest you order a 2022 model, hopefully securing it at sticker.

Posts: 173 | Location: boston | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Actually, it's a higher percentage for Toyota that are already sold on orders, presently, around here, over 90%. Often single digit new vehicles on the entire lot, because they are picked over so hard.

Could sell any of the family's recent model Toyotas for well over what we paid for them new, even though they are used.

If you want the present engine, and not what comes next, then seeing what you can secure, if anything at this date, on a 2021 order may be worthwhile. The new engines are said to be very good, but also very different.

Looks like a couple on this lot idk if you are interested in one of those, to the point that it is worth the drive, but if so, email me by the email in my profile and I can connect you with the GM there

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5648 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
Just for shits and giggles I plugged in my 2021 4Runner with 8k miles into Carvana. They are offering me sight unseen $43,000 for it. About what I paid 9 months ago. Won't sell it because I like it so much though.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:

Looks like a couple on this lot idk if you are interested in one of those, to the point that it is worth the drive, but if so, email me by the email in my profile and I can connect you with the GM there

If that blue TRD Off Road Premium wasn't $5k over sticker, I'd drive down there and get it this weekend. No way I'm paying that much. I'd much rather wait a month. Thanks though!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
i would ride it out a while. Establish a re pore with your salesman. Stick by your original deal.

I get what everyone is saying. But that is not what I see. Sure vehicles are not plentiful on lots, etc. But the whole "its crazy out there" perpetuates panic and pour buying decisions. Benefiting only those who are trying to sell you something.

Do not panic or buy into the whole "the sky is falling". Its not, its really not.

Be patient.

Thanks! That's kind of where my head is. They offered me $xxx under MSRP on whatever vehicle they find. I'm not in desperate need so I may as well be patient.

Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the other dealer is holding onto it in case it helps them meet a sales goal and will release it for trade when the promotion concludes if they don’t sell it by then. If that’s the case it depends on whether the dealer with the allocation gets someone to buy it by then. You may luck out if it’s a dealer not getting a lot of 4Runner sales currently for whatever reason.

Posts: 6957 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Had the same stunt tried with my Venza. The dealer only had black cars and bragged how they would accept what other dealers wouldn’t. However, they found a red one in Seattle. They do a dealer trade and get it brought down that day. Meanwhile we were filling out forms.
After hanging around I tracked down the salesman, then the manager. We got the run around that the dealership hadn’t replied to the text yet. I suggested a phone call, picked up the forms and told them to call when they got the car.
Monday we stopped by another dealer. The salesman says they have a deliver that evening and what we wanted could be on the hauler. Early the next morning he called. We drove down, saw the car, test drove, and bought.
While we’re doing the paperwork, the other dealership calls, says the Seattle dealer claims the car was sold. BUT, if we went up, it might still be there and…
What gets me is the dealership makes its money with service appointments. I’m accepting driving a few miles more to avoid the first dealership.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
I would think that if that vehicle is absolutely what you want then patience would be the name of the game right now.

My son was in need of a new vehicle due to yet another Nissan CVT being a piece of shit, and wanted a Toyota Rav4. Specific model wouldn't be available for 30 days so he upped his purchase price and got a much nicer Honda Pilot.

The Toyota dealer where we bought a car last year, told us that then, he had 350 cars on the lot, this week he had 12.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Might as well wait, you can call around and might get lucky somewhere but inventory is tight for all makes and models. Dealer profits are the highest in history.

The Pandemic is going to change the industry, Ford announced it's looking at going to a custom order system, fewer pre produced vehicles less inventory and I'm sure GM/Fiat/Toyota et all will follow suit.

They want out of the sales rebate game, it's hard to end because someone always puts up a "deal" but when theres only 50-100 cars/truck on the lot vs 500 it changes the game to a sellers game.

I'd wait and give it a bit if you don't need it today, those that think buyers still have some control in this market will be in for a rude awakening when they try the "I'll go elsewhere" tactic and the sales man says ok...

Posts: 23576 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Hi erikras, I checked with the GM. They are not charging a "limited availability surcharge". If you look at the features that they list there, having added, the trd roof rack, rims and tires above standard are the reason why it is $5k over. Their pricing on these is the $5k. They said that these are features that their usual buyers very often ask to be added, so they proceeded.

When I looked last night there was an Army green one. That has sold. This one is still available, so if you are interested (or someone else reading this) then use the email in my profile and I'll share the GMs phone number. (I'm not making anything on the transaction (I don't work for them or Toyota etc), if anyone was wondering, just offering to facilitate).

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5648 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
^^^^ these items are put on by the regional distributors and then the vehicle gets sent to the dealers. Getting their piece O' the pie

Posts: 5350 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
Hi erikras, I checked with the GM. They are not charging a "limited availability surcharge". If you look at the features that they list there, having added, the trd roof rack, rims and tires above standard are the reason why it is $5k over. Their pricing on these is the $5k. They said that these are features that their usual buyers very often ask to be added, so they proceeded.

When I looked last night there was an Army green one. That has sold. This one is still available, so if you are interested (or someone else reading this) then use the email in my profile and I'll share the GMs phone number. (I'm not making anything on the transaction (I don't work for them or Toyota etc), if anyone was wondering, just offering to facilitate).

Thanks again! Unfortunately, I'm really not looking to pay extra for noisy tires that I'll never use and a roof rack that will just add wind noise and I'll never use. The wheels are nice though. At this point, I'd just rather wait and not way over pay for a punch of options I don't want/need.

posted Hide Post
Lot’s of great information here, and also on 4Runners.com

I’m not a salesman, but I suggest working with a large dealership that has a Business Development Area and not just sales people. Be willing to travel. Get everything in writing/email. Ask that your deposit be refundable if they can’t give you a VIN for a 4Runner with the options you want in a reasonable amount of time. The dealer you’re working with needs to get a 4Runner allocated to them from Toyota. If you have the time you can search for 4Runners on the Toyota website. But be prepared to be disappointed because many of the trucks you’ll find have already been allocated or sold. At this point in time you may have to wait for a 2022 model. Not a lot of changes from 2021 to 2022. Big changes coming in 2023.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TRD,

Posts: 236 | Location: GA. | Registered: October 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post