SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I did a search and read a few threads…but…how can I ship a firearm as an individual?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I did a search and read a few threads…but…how can I ship a firearm as an individual? Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted
Fed-ex says No.
Am I correct UPS now says no also?
USPS has always been a no in handguns.

This will be going to an FFL.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6344 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
You are correct that individuals cannot use UPS or FedEx to ship guns any more, unless it's an RMA to the manufacturer with a prepaid label.

Therefore your handgun shipment has no choice but to go FFL-to-FFL now.

So you can use an online FFL shipping service like www.ShipMyGun.com, or else find a local FFL holder who's willing to ship it for you.

Posts: 32553 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Safest route IMHO?? FFL to FFL.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
quote:
You can use ShipMyGun.com

I've used this service for every gun I've ever shipped and had zero issues with it.

Posts: 12544 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Couldn’t the receiving FFL send the OP a shipping label and then it’s being shipped by the FFL.?

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11304 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
Has anyone heard if UPS or FedEx will still ship long guns for an individual?

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3931 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dzozer:
Has anyone heard if UPS or FedEx will still ship long guns for an individual?

Nope. No guns at all, unless you're a FFL with a signed firearms shipping agreement with that carrier.

But an individual can still ship a long gun via the Post Office.

Posts: 32553 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
Few questions using SMG.
1) When shipping a handgun. Can someone summarize in bullet format how this works?

2)When receiving a handgun using one of their approved FFL's. The web site says you don't need permission from the FFL for them to receive a gun, but wouldn't it be a good idea to work that out with FFL dealer ahead of time?

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14013 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigJoe:
Few questions using SMG.

2)When receiving a handgun using one of their approved FFL's. The web site says you don't need permission from the FFL for them to receive a gun, but wouldn't it be a good idea to work that out with FFL dealer ahead of time?

Only a good idea if you want to make sure you get your gun.

I'm a home based dealer. I've lost count how many times FedEx or USPS left guns on my front porch that required a signature. Or some of the a-holes on GunBroker ship the cheapest way possible and don't pay for signature or insurance. The last guy that did that sent me a loaded gun. I wasn't happy.....

What if I was out of town for vacation for 2 weeks and I didn't know something was coming?

Posts: 7401 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I have a favorite LGS that ships for a reasonable fee.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
FedEx’s and UPS’s rules are not laws. You can ship guns with them as long as it’s to an FFL. Just don’t disclose the contents and don’t count on collecting on a claim if it gets lost.

Posts: 3555 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
quote:
Originally posted by BigJoe:
Few questions using SMG.

Only a good idea if you want to make sure you get your gun.

I'm a home based dealer. I've lost count how many times FedEx or USPS left guns on my front porch that required a signature. Or some of the a-holes on GunBroker ship the cheapest way possible and don't pay for signature or insurance. The last guy that did that sent me a loaded gun. I wasn't happy.....

What if I was out of town for vacation for 2 weeks and I didn't know something was coming?

I've been a home based FFL for 3 years now, it is common courtesy to let the receiving FFL know it is coming. I had had the same things happen that you mention.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
FedEx’s and UPS’s rules are not laws. You can ship guns with them as long as it’s to an FFL. Just don’t disclose the contents and don’t count on collecting on a claim if it gets lost.

I use USPS for everything. They are cheaper and no stupid overnight rules. And if I miss a delivery,I don't have to drive to the other side of town to the hub.

Posts: 7401 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I shipped FedEx for the CCR holiday sale. Of course, I paid for signature required and they ignored it, left it at the door on a Saturday. But CCR got it.

Posts: 3555 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post