SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Good News In Troubled Times
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good News In Troubled Times Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
In these times of worry and uncertainty, strife and woe, there is this:
quote:
Bob Costas had circled Feb. 4 as his NFL broadcasting send-off, revealing last February Super Bowl LII would be the last one he’d host on NBC.

On Monday, Costas’ name was nowhere to be found on the network’s press release announcing its on-air and studio teams for the game between the Patriots and Eagles. NBC named Dan Patrick and Liam McHugh hosts of the Super Bowl pregame show, which also will include “Football Night in America” mainstays Tony Dungy, Rodney Harrison, Mike Florio and Chris Simms.

The scheduling decision comes as a surprise after Costas, NBC’s prime-time host for every Olympics on the network since 1992, conceded a year ago he was turning Olympics duties over to Mike Tirico but had one more Super Bowl in him before assuming a lesser role with NBC. The 65-year-old has hosted six Super Bowls throughout his career.

“I’ve been lucky to have such a long and enjoyable run,” Costas told USA Today at the time. “So I just thought, better to leave before they ask me to leave.”

That development was nine months before Costas had some scathing words for the prevalence of head injuries in football during a roundtable discussion in November.

While both NBC and Costas cited Patrick and McHugh’s chemistry as reason for the personnel choices, the timing and severity of Costas’ football comments raise suspicion around the network’s decision.

“Dan and Liam have served as hosts for our NFL pregame/studio shows on Sunday nights and Thursday nights, respectively, throughout the season and will continue on Super Bowl Sunday,” NBC said in a statement.

“Dan and Liam have done the job hosting NBC’s NFL coverage all season. It wouldn’t be right for me to parachute in and do the Super Bowl,” Costas said.

Costas sounded like he wanted to be far from football at the University of Maryland event two months ago, at which a number of high-profile journalists debated a wide range of sports issues.

“The reality is that this game destroys people’s brains,” Costas said during the discussion.

“The cracks in the foundation are there. The day-to-day issues, as serious as they may be, they may come and go. But you cannot change the nature of the game. I certainly would not let, if I had an athletically gifted 12- or 13-year-old son, I would not let him play football.”

Costas also pointed out the disturbing irony of the NFL’s initiative to seek more information on the physical dangers of the sport as the greater likelihood for its demise. He said he wouldn’t be surprised if, down the road, parents keep their children from playing football until they’re 18 years old, which could push college football, as the booming business it is now, off the map.

“The whole thing could collapse like a house of cards if people actually begin connecting the dots,” Costas said.

For whatever the real reason, Costas’ Super Bowl plans on the road to semi-retirement collapsed on him.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Good. I can't stand that self-righteous prick! At least we won't have to listen to his anti-2a bullshit.

Posts: 1773 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Maybe they didn't want Costas to throw his personal opinion and politics into the game? First time I remember him doing that was in the 1998 Finals when he referred to Dennis Rodman's antics as a "tired freak show" or something along those lines.

For me, sports announcers lose credibility when they inject their opinion into something other than sports.

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Maybe he's upset no one sat or kneeled during last week's games?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14041 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
In these times of worry and uncertainty, strife and woe, there is this:
[QUOTE]

“The cracks in the foundation are there. The day-to-day issues, as serious as they may be, they may come and go. But you cannot change the nature of the game. I certainly would not let, if I had an athletically gifted 12- or 13-year-old son, I would not let him play football.

Four years ago, soon after the first big to-do about traumatic brain injury (TBI) was brought out on the White House lawn and the NFL and NCAA claimed they were going to be serious about this, I had the opportunity to attend a number of sessions related to the topic at the World Congress on Biomechanics. One researcher, in particular, that studied TBI and other sports-related chronic injuries caught my attention. I came away convinced that my 6 yo son was not going to be playing these sports. Upon my return, I had the opportunity to talk to the team physician for a major university athletics program. I opined, "I think the sport that is safe for me to allow my son to compete in is swimming." His reply was, "Tennis and golf are ok, too." Let that sink in for a minute.

I was astounded to learn about incontinence in girls gymnastics, ballet, etc. Link.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4880 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Wait! NO Bob..tell me it ain't true

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hate his politics but he's right on the money here.

Posts: 3933 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cruiser68:
Good. I can't stand that self-righteous prick! At least we won't have to listen to his anti-2a bullshit.

Couldn't have said it any better

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good. I can't stand that self-righteous prick! At least we won't have to listen to his anti-2a any of his bullshit.

Fuck off Bobby C. Enjoy your time off, I know I will!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20845 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Fuck em.

He can eat a bag of dicks.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Maybe he's upset no one sat or kneeled during last week's games?

Your right but I did notice many not looking up at the flag and hands not on their heart.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4842 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, he is an ultra liberal hack who never missed an opportunity to slam conservative values.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Bob Costas has gone off the deep end.
He was on local radio today complaining about FOX News:

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24184 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Kinda a shock seeing a thread from JALLEN pop up all of a sudden. Took me a few seconds to figure out it it's just a garden-variety thread.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
^^^ LOL
I did a search for Bob Costas before posting and when this thread came up, started by JALLEN, I knew I had to bring it back to the top!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24184 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^
"Lest We Forget"

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9186 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Friends back in NYC who've run across Costas, and those who've worked in radio/TV all have said, exactly the same thing: Costas is the biggest, most egotistical person they've ever come across. In-person, professionally, off-the-record or, on, Costas carried himself like the crown-prince to Dick Ebersol's kingdom at NBC. He believed himself to do no wrong and every waking moment was about Bob Costas.

Posts: 14697 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post