SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I’m a long time guitar player getting interested in synthesizers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I’m a long time guitar player getting interested in synthesizers Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
Has anyone successfully learned to play keyboards after 40 years of playing guitar? I mean I get the theory and all, in fact it seems easier to understand chords and scales on a keyboard than on guitar but my hands are very clumsy in that position and strangely after fretting with my left hand for 40 years my right hand is more dexterous on the keyboard and the left is stupid again.

Maybe I should take some lessons.

Posts: 45466 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Have you looked at a Roland GR55 guitar synthesizer? Unless you really want to learn a keyboard.

Posts: 11355 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Mark, are you still practicing singing while playing? Just curious.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39013 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
As a long time keyboard player, I'm of the opinion that if you can play guitar, you can pick up the keyboard without too much trouble. The left hand is what gives most people trouble, and if you can already play chords on the fretboard, you're way ahead of the pack. Lessons are always a good idea. Let us know how it goes.

Posts: 6076 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Mark

If you are interested I will loan you my ARP2600 reissue to play with for awhile

Posts: 53579 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
As a long time keyboard player, I'm of the opinion that if you can play guitar, you can pick up the keyboard without too much trouble. The left hand is what gives most people trouble, and if you can already play chords on the fretboard, you're way ahead of the pack. Lessons are always a good idea. Let us know how it goes.

Being a lefty guitar player, I assume this could be an advantage on the keyboards?

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39013 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
Mark

If you are interested I will loan you my ARP2600 reissue to play with for awhile
Yeeeeeeee! That’s quite an offer. Smile

Was the 2600 the synth from Close Encounters?

Posts: 45466 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
Mark, are you still practicing singing while playing? Just curious.

My practice has been lazy at best.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
Mark

Yeeeeeeee! That’s quite an offer. Smile

Was the 2600 the synth from Close Encounters?

I looked it up. Close Encounters was the 2500. R2-D2 was the 2600.

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Mark - it’s a 2600 reissue by Korg. It’s 60% of the size of my original 2600 and it’s a patch cord monophonic unit.

If you’re still interested drop me an email and I will box it up and ship it to you.

If nothing else, it’s fun to poke around on

Posts: 53579 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
Yes it will help you learn faster by already having chord/scales/rhythm knowledge. You just have to learn the mechanics of working the keyboard.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7644 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Butch 2340:
Yes it will help you learn faster by already having chord/scales/rhythm knowledge. You just have to learn the mechanics of working the keyboard.

Yeah, it’s not so easy making the fingers do what the brain knows.

Any easy songs to learn on keyboard?

Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I would suspect that achieving left-right independence would be the hard part. With guitar, your hands work (pretty much) together, unless you are Mark Knopfler or someone like that. With a keyboard, you are playing a bass part with the left hand and a melody with the right, sometimes these note sequences are barely connected to each other, in a musical sense. Touch typing probably transfers more skills.

Posts: 6647 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
There are lots of songs that are pretty easy to learn. Home Sweet Home by Motley Crue is super easy, based in C.

If you understand the root/third/fifth/seventh theory then you're already ahead of the game. One challenge is that (like the guitar) a lot of keyboard chords are best voiced in a musical context using inversions. Right hand is typically color and melody, left hand is bass/octaves.

Watch some youtube videos on how to properly finger chords. No rules of course, but there are classical mechanics.

There are an amazing amount of resources on youtube now. Lessons for almost every pop song you can name, with multi-camera angles, keyboard visualization, scrolling music, etc.

The key is to find songs you want to play and decide you're going to learn to play them, and just keep figuring it out until you can.

Do you mean more on the synth side (i.e. "Jump" by Van Halen), or just keyboards in general?

Posts: 3037 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Just wanted to mention a few things from running a studio for years. Get your first, that is high quality with nice keys and such. After that if you buy another you can go rack mount for space and use #1 to play the keys on the rack mount and every subsequent rack mount you purchase.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12796 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Butch 2340:

I knew guitar before playing piano/keyboards, never had formal lessons. This video showcases pretty much exactly how I learned, how I taught myself. Like McCartney, I can't read music, but I can still squeeze out tunes and melodies. In an old life, I used to compose and record my own songs, so I used that knowledge to learn keyboards.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16979 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I have a little Roland JDXi and i REALLY like it.
I'm not a keyboard player but I can play it OK.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39822 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
I have a little Roland JDXi and i REALLY like it.
I'm not a keyboard player but I can play it OK.
Here's what I'm working with now:

• M-audio Keystation 49e
  • Akai MPC Live
  • Old school stereo

I need more room here. I'm going to put the stereo, record player and records under the bench.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Just wanted to mention a few things from running a studio for years. Get your first, that is high quality with nice keys and such. After that if you buy another you can go rack mount for space and use #1 to play the keys on the rack mount and every subsequent rack mount you purchase.
Someone local is selling a Roland VK-8 that I was thinking of picking up but they have mixed reviews.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fwbulldog:
... Do you mean more on the synth side (i.e. "Jump" by Van Halen), or just keyboards in general?
I'd like to be able to semi-competently play a keyboard but I do like the thick synth sounds better than a tinkling piano.

I am not a huge fan of the beep-boop synth tones (for example Rainbow in the Dark by Dio, bleh, that song can do without the keyboard altogether) but those thick and rumbling and atmospheric tones are more my style.