SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thoughts on Electrical issue: Closet motion light comes on when it is windy
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on Electrical issue: Closet motion light comes on when it is windy Login/Join 
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted
Years ago I put a motion activated light switch in Master bedroom closet. Ever since, when the wind blows, the light comes on! No, nothing is moving in the closet. Closet is deep inside house away from drafts windows, etc. I even covered over light switch and light still comes on.

Blustery fall/winter days or now with the Santa Ana winds were having in southern Kalifornia, running 5 to 3 MPH right now as I type.

Any collective thoughts on why light is coming on? Safety issues? Electricity and how it works is the class I forgot to take as I am pretty weak in this area.

Thanks for the thoughts.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1439 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Try removing the cover. There are usually sensitivity and duration settings. If available, turn down sensitivity. If not replace the switch.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21141 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Is it possible your power is glitching when the wind blows?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
My motion lights uses heat along with motion. Maybe the temp change in closet draft.

My other suggestion involves a priest .... ....

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

Gets my vote.

Posts: 1364 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Something is shifting in the structure of your house every time the wind blows and it's being picked up by the motion sensor?

I once lived in a new construction ('stick built') townhouse and when the wind would blow you could actually feel the house sway a tiny bit on the second floor.

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my interior garage light kept coming on , on its own ,

turned my c.c.t.v. cam to watch it,

a mouse was setting it off Roll Eyes

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55208 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I'm going with getting the Priest. Smile How they work is akin to magic. I had one out in the garage that would go off when a loud truck goes past. Or a mufflerless motorcycle. The problem being that in turn would set off the intrusion alarm. I finally hot wired it. I may be bored, but not that bored. The last time I checked, the connector was still in place and I haven't had an alarm. Its been years. I blame it on a bad motion detector.

My alarm guy said I could replace it if I wanted , but the garage has so many redundant sensors that I didn't. We had one at work that was temperature sensitive. Clearly not a problem in the closet. My suggestion would be to replace it, probably with another manufacturers switch.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18394 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
My master bedroom closet has an attic access in the ceiling. We don't use it, but it's there and could allow a draft I suppose...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Just imagine if you lived near Monica!

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18394 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My house is relatively efficient - Lots of insulation, high-quality double-pane windows, insulated siding, etc. I've noticed that if I take almost any outlet or switch cover off, I can feel a slight draft coming directly through the hole in the dry wall.

I'm wondering if you might have a similar situation - and the wind might increase this somehow, and the motion activated switch senses it as movement...

Posts: 947 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Try removing the cover. There are usually sensitivity and duration settings. If available, turn down sensitivity. If not replace the switch.

I'm going to open it and check for settings..

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1439 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

"glitching"?? Not sure what that is. No other electrical issue in house when wind blows. what's "glitching"?

NRA Life Member