SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thinking about going all electric?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking about going all electric? Login/Join 
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
But so far based on this conversation, it doesn't sound like a good idea more often than not.

I'm a huge proponent of saving money. I hate to sound evangelical about it, but someone really needs to run their own numbers to determine whether solar can save money or not.

Dismissing the idea out of turn can be a disservice to those who can save real money.

My break even point is 5.5 years at the latest. 4.6 years based on more recent numbers. 3.0 years based on Tesla's most recent projections using my real-time data and time-of-use billing. The numbers will become more accurate as I build up more months of data to work with.

3.0 years for break even, then free power for as many years as the system can physically produce power, seems straightforward enough. The panels are warranted for 25 years to produce 80% of their rated power.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
^^^ plus, people seem to be using panel costs which are years out of date.

People may disagree with the amount of research and development money that went into solar, but that money has changed the industry, and like I mentioned you can't use numbers from the past.

Technology / manufacturing methods / yields / efficiency / reliability have all changed.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
There’s a bit of hyperbole in the video. Make me want to ask who funded the research.

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Based on these last couple posts, it seems solar may be better than I thought based on the posts before it. Investing in capability vs break even point. Good point !

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
There’s a bit of hyperbole in the video. Make me want to ask who funded the research.

I know. His "Laws of Physics" claims in the first 45 seconds of the video have already been disproven. A simple web search shows that.

Like I said before, money went into solar R&D, improvements were made, and the old rules of thumb from a decade ago no longer apply.

That said, solar isn't perfect in all situations, and I don't claim that it is.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post