SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thinking about going all electric?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking about going all electric? Login/Join 
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted
Interesting video on the wind/solar power for our future.

https://www.prageru.com/video/...-with-wind-and-solar

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4134 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Not me.

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Wind and solar have their place, and I'm for it minus the subsidies. I'm curious about harvesting tidal energy as well as expanding nuclear.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
On an individual level, it's a do-able thing...if you can afford it. Nationwide? No way.

I recently had a local solar outfit out to give me a quote. For the complete system, including panels and a 10Kw battery (enough for roughly a few day of running just my freezers and fridge), it would run me $30K ($23K after taxes).

Yeah, I can afford it, but that's a big chunk of change for not much energy. I passed...for now.

Posts: 20098 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
My neighbor just installed solar panels on his roof, and his last electric bill was zero dollars, nada, none. It looks like an expensive system, and I don't know what the payback ratio is, but zero electric bill sounds nice to me.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8673 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I've looked at solar power; the numbers just don't do it for me.
Not enough savings for the expenditure for me.

My neighbor across the street just put in solar panels. He told me it cost him $50K and he's generating $150 of power in a good month.
That's an awful long ROI.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16513 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
My neighbor just installed solar panels on his roof, and his last electric bill was zero dollars, nada, none. It looks like an expensive system, and I don't know what the payback ratio is, but zero electric bill sounds nice to me.

That’s great and all but what’s the cost for this system?

If it was $50,000 and he’s got a $600 payment for the next 20 years, his electric bill ain’t $0.00…it’s $600

Posts: 33793 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m fine knowing EV cars will actually work way better for 75% of the population that’s most people realize. I don’t think it will be better for the environment and it certainly won’t be cheap. Electricity is going to go up in price and unlike when gas goes up and you limit your trips everyone needs electricity every day.

I have posted before how many minerals it takes for one car battery and the amount of materials it takes per windmill or solar panel and I just don’t see how sustainable that is either.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1s1k,

Posts: 3914 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Wind and solar have their place, and I'm for it minus the subsidies. I'm curious about harvesting tidal energy as well as expanding nuclear.

I imagine tidal energy would be very interesting, harvesting the energy from the sun and gravity from the moon. How cool is that. But I imagine the engineering, investment, and maintenance involved would not be practical.

I like nuclear a whole lot but don't trust humans enough to run them with enough safety. After watching a 3 Mile Island documentary and with the Chernobyl and Fukushima accidents, I'd rather keep using fossil fuels since those technologies don't kill people, force them out of their homes, and prevent them from ever living there again. That kind of situation is intolerable to me.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8673 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:

ZERO electric bill sounds great, but the ROI (Return on Investment) is key here...

I don't have any idea where 'Nowhere the Constitution is honored' actually is (which would be critical in order to estimate seasonal electricity usage), but using Gustofer's example of $23K net cost after taxes/subsidies, and my $175 electric bill I just paid, the ROI is over TEN years! Eek

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8877 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
The price per watt of putting a few solar panels on your roof is very different from the price per watt of filling a field (or a bunch of fields) with them.

From what I can find, the operating costs and amortized construction costs of utility-scale solar plants currently result in a cost of generated electricity in the range of 2-10 cents per kWh depending on how good the area is for solar and how high operating and construction costs are in the area, and the cost has been steadily dropping about 20% per year since the 80s.

That doesn’t mean solar is the total answer, there are still a number of issues besides cost, but it does seem to be cost-competitive as a part of a grid’s overall generating capacity.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
No. Hybrid at best. I am a firm believer in redundancy.

Posts: 4014 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:

ZERO electric bill sounds great, but the ROI (Return on Investment) is key here...

I don't have any idea where 'Nowhere the Constitution is honored' actually is (which would be critical in order to estimate seasonal electricity usage), but using Gustofer's example of $23K net cost after taxes/subsidies, and my $175 electric bill I just paid, the ROI is over TEN years! Eek

Additionally, the opportunity cost of that money instead invested in a reasonably diversified portfolio with an average compounded return of 8% should be considered (although one could invest more aggressively if desired).

Especially given your home insurance is almost guaranteed to increase to cover damage to the panels, and the fact panel efficiency degrades over time and these need to be kept relatively clean.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ROI on solar is 12 to 30 years depending on the system. The average American moves every 5 to 7 years.

Most people will never see their ROI.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
I’m fine knowing EV cars will actually work way better for 75% of the population that’s most people realize. I don’t think it will be better for the environment and it certainly won’t be cheap. Electors going to go up in price and unlike when gas goes up and you limit your trips everyone needs electricity every day.

I have posted before how many minerals it takes for one car battery and the amount of materials it takes per windmill or solar panel and I just don’t see how sustainable that is either.

System failure ie blackouts and loss of the grid are a fact.

Think TX in 20 degree weather and the pipes in your ceiling freezing then bursting. The EV car would have drained it's battery days earlier with nothing left to even charge the phone. All because TX wasn't hooked into the national grid well, freezing weather with ice stopped the windmills and there was no power. None. Nobody spec'd deicer circuits in the blades and they had to shut them down.

My house IS total electric and the four times we've been without power for more than 24 hours we had propane camper equipment running for heat and cooking, grille on the deck as our primary stove evenings, all the frozen stuff getting grilled before it's lost, ice stuffed in the frig and freezer, etc. It's deer camp with water boiled for camp showers or a wipe down in the sink. Certainly more civilized than a 14 day FTX in the box at Polk but the women folks get cranky.

So far we haven't been forced to rely on wood heat - I have a stove in the LR with about two cords backup now. And now it's tornado season - May isn't easy around here. Fortunately we have the new pool filled so semi potable water is just out the back door which would last 2 months and a good rain will put 6" in it overnite. We get about 66k rainfall on the roof area alone.

For all the talk about how it's sustainable it's not. A tornado in 01 hit the substation and we were down 9 days. Any exposed infrastructure - lines, substations, poles, etc is vulnerable to high winds and summers across American are nothing more than a repeat of how cheaply made and easy it is for wind to blow it all down.

75% can't live with EV's, walking 2.5 miles to the nearest grocery store isn't feasible for 35% of the population. Obese, crippled, and prey to thugs sums that up quick. It's exactly the recipe that got Ferguson into riots - their own city council kept approving another liquor store permit but their grocery stores were losing money on theft and lack of police protection. Like Walgreens or Targets in San Fran - they just shut them down and sorry, not sorry. No power in a metro area would result in no stores and burning neighborhoods inside of ten days. We can suffer it, they will go up in flames, we see it every election cycle.

Small town America will do ok, the bulk of the population will be living Katrina style in their cars parked on the side of the road no gas, no gas pump, and after the looters get down on the ring roads it will resemble the road out of Kuwait in DS I. Dependency on electricity is a joke. Track record of that every year are hundreds of more examples how it fails, not how it's resilient.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:
ROI on solar is 12 to 30 years depending on the system. The average American moves every 5 to 7 years.

And wouldn't most of that equipment need to be replaced or updated in that time?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
My b-i-l has a very large farm near Toledo,OH on Lake Erie. Very flat out there. A couple years ago we visited & I asked him why he didn't have a big wind turbine like everybody else. It seems like every big farm, school, etc has a turbine.

He's always been a very smart farmer. He never spent money on anything he didn't need, but when he bought something, it was always the best. Which is probably why he's rich. He said that he & his neighbour, who also owns a big farm, studied everything they could find on wind turbines when. they became popular out there. He said that even with all the gov money & subsidies, all the tax credits, selling electricity back to the grid, then keeping up with routine maintenance, the thing would never pay for itself. Never.

Now this was a couple years ago, and the industry is advancing all the time, but we're not there yet.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:

Then consider that ROI is simply the break even point and think about how much money you could have made on the $20K~$30K investment in the 15 to 30 years it takes to get to ROI.

Essentially it costs you around $200,000.00 over the ROI period to have solar panels.

Getting solar panels is a terrible investment.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Our utility company (the city) instituted a $30 fee just to be hooked to the grid, and then lowered the KWh rate to less than 9¢ per KWh. They said that the cost of the grid traditionally was baked into the cost of the power, but that solar has upset that dynamic. Now they charge you upfront with a hookup charge.

What this has done is eliminated the free ride of solar installations. With the low cost of power and high cost of being connected to the grid, my ROI would be 28 years. Pass.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tirod:
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
I’m fine knowing EV cars will actually work way better for 75% of the population that’s most people realize. I don’t think it will be better for the environment and it certainly won’t be cheap. Electors going to go up in price and unlike when gas goes up and you limit your trips everyone needs electricity every day.

System failure ie blackouts and loss of the grid are a fact.

Think TX in 20 degree weather and the pipes in your ceiling freezing then bursting. The EV car would have drained it's battery days earlier with nothing left to even charge the phone. All because TX wasn't hooked into the national grid well, freezing weather with ice stopped the windmills and there was no power. None. Nobody spec'd deicer circuits in the blades and they had to shut them down.

My house IS total electric and the four times we've been without power for more than 24 hours we had propane camper equipment running for heat and cooking, grille on the deck as our primary stove evenings, all the frozen stuff getting grilled before it's lost, ice stuffed in the frig and freezer, etc. It's deer camp with water boiled for camp showers or a wipe down in the sink. Certainly more civilized than a 14 day FTX in the box at Polk but the women folks get cranky.

So far we haven't been forced to rely on wood heat - I have a stove in the LR with about two cords backup now. And now it's tornado season - May isn't easy around here. Fortunately we have the new pool filled so semi potable water is just out the back door which would last 2 months and a good rain will put 6" in it overnite. We get about 66k rainfall on the roof area alone.

For all the talk about how it's sustainable it's not. A tornado in 01 hit the substation and we were down 9 days. Any exposed infrastructure - lines, substations, poles, etc is vulnerable to high winds and summers across American are nothing more than a repeat of how cheaply made and easy it is for wind to blow it all down.

75% can't live with EV's, walking 2.5 miles to the nearest grocery store isn't feasible for 35% of the population. Obese, crippled, and prey to thugs sums that up quick. It's exactly the recipe that got Ferguson into riots - their own city council kept approving another liquor store permit but their grocery stores were losing money on theft and lack of police protection. Like Walgreens or Targets in San Fran - they just shut them down and sorry, not sorry. No power in a metro area would result in no stores and burning neighborhoods inside of ten days. We can suffer it, they will go up in flames, we see it every election cycle.

Small town America will do ok, the bulk of the population will be living Katrina style in their cars parked on the side of the road no gas, no gas pump, and after the looters get down on the ring roads it will resemble the road out of Kuwait in DS I. Dependency on electricity is a joke. Track record of that every year are hundreds of more examples how it fails, not how it's resilient.
In that I saw nothing that would make EV impossible or for that matter impractical even with the current grid. The likelyhood of having a full “tank” when the power goes out is very high with an EV so you can save that mileage for necessary trips. The people that have to be at work might have to take a few vacation days to save the miles for necessary trips. If people are that physically disabled they probably don’t go to work so they will have plenty of range.

Posts: 3914 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post