SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    on-line return fraud based on ordering merchandise for a random person
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

on-line return fraud based on ordering merchandise for a random person Login/Join 
Big Stack
posted
I read a while back about a form of on-line return fraud where a scammer will order something for a random person, and can somehow profit through return fraud. I think I see that happening to someone. Does anyone know how this works, and would anyone actually care if I tried to stop it?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Maybe like this?https://www.cleveland.com/business/2017/04/a_new_scam_watch_out_for_deliv.html

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8103 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Seem similar. But the recipient hasn't been at the address for years. And it wasn't only one package. One came by UPS and was just sitting in our lobby. Another one came by USPS. I was there when the mail female was trying to drop it off. I let her know that the person no longer lives here, and she took the package back.

I'm wondering if the scammEr got some out of date information.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
It’s likely someone using a stolen credit card, ordering something where it passes the address verification and then the scammer calls the shipping company and redirects the package somewhere they can retrieve it.

My company was hit with this and we had to put additional safeguards in place to protect ourselves and the cardholders, banks and CC companies are taking major hits on this as the verification passes. Now we look for additional oddities.

Damn theives!!

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post