SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Explosion at Superior, WI refinery
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Explosion at Superior, WI refinery Login/Join 
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted
Daily Mail has the best coverage

A tank containing crude oil or asphalt exploded at a large refinery in Wisconsin on Thursday, injuring several people and prompting fire officials to order a large-scale evacuation.

At least 11 people are being treated for injuries at local hospitals, and so far no fatalities have been reported. The total amount of injured could be as high as 20 however, including walking wounded who were not taken to the hospital.

The explosion at the Husky Energy oil refinery happened at about 10am, Superior Fire Chief Steve Panger said, and it was put out a little more than an hour later.

(More at link-difficult to copy and paste with the photos).

Posts: 3014 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Later in the story, it reignited.

IMO, here is the key pic showing crude oil pouring out the side of the tank over the dike wall next to a process unit:

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23692 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmm.... Looks like a gas price increase for the Yoop.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16391 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Hmmm.... Looks like a gas price increase for the Yoop.

If gas prices go up one place, they go up everyplace. I think I'll fill up tonight on the way to work.

Posts: 3477 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Damn. That's a hell of a mess. Thankful there weren't more injuries or any fatalities.

I filled up earlier this afternoon. Should last me about a week. I've been using non-ethanol for 3 tanks, just to compare mileage. If it jumps up a bunch I'll switch back to 10%.

Been getting 21-22 mpg in a Jeep on the non-ethanol. That's not too shabby.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11464 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
Damn. That's a hell of a mess. Thankful there weren't more injuries or any fatalities.

I filled up earlier this afternoon. Should last me about a week. I've been using non-ethanol for 3 tanks, just to compare mileage. If it jumps up a bunch I'll switch back to 10%.

You're lucky to have no-ethanol gan readily available. I'd have to burn 5 gallons just on the round trip to fill a 14-gallon tank with it.

I am also happy that the injuries caused were slight and there were no deaths.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Dailymail linked to a local new site where I found this more recent information upping total injured to 20 as well as this:
quote:

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23692 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:

You're lucky to have no-ethanol gan readily available. I'd have to burn 5 gallons just on the round trip to fill a 14-gallon tank with it.

I am also happy that the injuries caused were slight and there were no deaths.

flashguy

I use https://www.pure-gas.org/extensions/map.html

But I looked at Texas...and you aren't exaggerating at all!

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11464 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our gas prices here went up about .30c/gal earlier today, so I hope it does not keep going up.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
70 miles one way for the nearest location here

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53852 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is due west of YooperSig. I wonder if he will see any of the smoke?

Posts: 1341 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I saw that this is an asphalt plant and not really an oil refinery on the news.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39874 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
I saw that this is an asphalt plant and not really an oil refinery on the news.
Your news would be wrong then. They are an actual refinery that "produces asphalt, gasoline, diesel and heavy fuel oils."

Husky has bought or partially bought 3 refineries in the Northern US to process heavy Canadian tar sand oils.

The Constable
posted Hide Post
Unsure if THIS is the reason or not , but gas went up a solid 10 cents today in MONTAN. It had been stable for months.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
Unsure if THIS is the reason or not , but gas went up a solid 10 cents today in MONTAN. It had been stable for months.

I doubt it. I live about a half hour from Superior Wisc. where this refinery is located. Could easily see the smoke from my house.
Gas in Superior was always at least 10 cents more per gallon than where I live 30 minutes away and their gas tax is less than ours.
I don't think your proximetry to a refinery near or far has anything to do with the price you pay.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8627 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Phil Swift and his tape can fix that! Big Grin

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2687 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post