SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Suggestions for turkey air fryer, oil fryer or smoker?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions for turkey air fryer, oil fryer or smoker? Login/Join 
Picture of steve495
posted
I used to have access to a turkey fryer (oil) that we used for Turkey dinners once a year. All was good, but clean up was a pain in the ass and I no longer have access to use it for holidays.

We're considering buying our own (about $100 plus the cost of oil and my time cleaning it up) or we can do an electric fryer or maybe even a smoker.

In general, this will not be used more than six times a year. We do have a screened in porch where it can be protected from the elements when in use, and we'll just store it in the basement when not in use.

Not sure about the smoker idea as it will require more effort and monitoring during the cooking cycle and we'd probably already have another turkey in the oven on convection roast. (We have as many as 20-22 people at the house.)

Open to suggestions from the SIG Forum braintrust. Maybe others will find this thread interesting with the holidays around the corner.

If we went with oil fryer, we're looking at something like the Masterbuilt 10 Liter XL or their smaller unit. (12-13 pound bird is fine as the big bird is in the oven.)

Char-boil Big Easy for an air electric fryer?

Electric smoker? Other options?

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4992 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Char-boil Big Easy

Propane

I have been using it for the last four years, easy quick, very juicy and tasty. I think 16 pounds is the max

Before that I smoked them, this is better IMO

Posts: 5351 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
I have, for quite a few years, smoked our Thanksgiving turkey. I've done it on an offset smoker fueled with lump charcoal/wood chunks, or an electric smoker with wood chunks. This year I will smoke it on my Camp Chef SG24 pellet grill.

I started out doing the turkey on the smoker to free up oven space for other things, but my family (as do I) really prefer smoked turkey to oven baked turkey. I also smoke the bird a day ahead so I know it will be done on time, and I feel like it really enhances the smoke flavor if it's rested in the fridge over night. It also helps that I do all my smoking at my barn and have a fridge out here ...... eliminates the possibility of anyone sampling the turkey ahead of time. Wink

The water in Washington won't clear up until we get the pigs out of the creek~Senator John Kennedy

Posts: 987 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
I have a char broil convection turkey cooker. It's excellent. I would compare the results to a very good rotisserie chicken.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9075 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not sure about the smoker idea as it will require more effort and monitoring during the cooking cycle and we'd probably already have another turkey in the oven on convection roast.

I use a stand up Weber smoker and it’s easy peasy. Start fire in bottom, wait till it ashes over, put on the grills and throw meat in, put on lid. I put a few chunks of apple or hickory in the fire every few hours and come back in six hours..

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11308 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
The best turkey I ever had was deep fried in bacon grease, so that’s my vote.

Posts: 9981 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
I have the propane Char-broil Big Easy and I love it ... !

https://www.charbroil.com/the-...urkey-fryer-17102065

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I have tried all methods. I loved doing a fried turkey as it is so easy but uses a lot of oil and a lot of clean-up. Not worth it if only doing one turkey.

I have a propane Char-Broil The Big Easy and used it two years in a row. It worked really good and I would recommend it.

I have a Big Green Egg and have smoked my turkey in it every year for a while now. This is the way I have decided to go as it comes out so good.

So if I had to do several turkeys then I would deep fry them. If I didn’t have a smoker, then I would use the Char-Broil. If I had a smoker, then that is what I would use.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8669 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Turkey? Barf! Too dry for me. I must be one of the contrarians as I prefer Ribs & Brisket, or Tamales, at Thanksgiving.

Posts: 11865 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
quote:
Char-boil Big Easy

Propane

I have been using it for the last four years, easy quick, very juicy and tasty. I think 16 pounds is the max

Before that I smoked them, this is better IMO

I agree. I Have a propane big easy and it's great fire it up on high, stick the bird in it and literally walk away......just check the meat thermometer near the end and pull it when it gets to temperature......I just wipe the skin on the bird with peanut oil before putting it in, crispy skin and juicey meat and all of the drippings go into a nice catch pan if you want to use that for gravy.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Turkey? Barf! Too dry for me. I must be one of the contrarians as I prefer Ribs & Brisket, or Tamales, at Thanksgiving.

I used to think the same until one Thanksgiving about 5 years ago we had a deep fried turkey that was so moist. Even the breast meat was moist with juices and I normally don't like white meat. Ever since then my family has has either deep fried or smoked turkey. God Bless !!! Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3071 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post