SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Portable generator cover/housing?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Portable generator cover/housing? Login/Join 
posted
Never needed the generator in AZ but figure hurricane season in SC might come in handy.
Had it wired up but that side of the house is open above the box. Concrete pad.

Looking for ideas to cover it while in use.
Don't really want a permanent "shed" for it.

Electrician suggested getting one of those plastic deck storage boxes and cutting it to allow for exhaust.

Posts: 1662 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
I have a Generac..... look at gentent.com. Might find something that fits your generator....

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I feel any benefit of covering a generator while in use are overshadowed by the potential problems it may cause.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8222 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unless it was designed to run while covered , I would not do anything to restrict airflow . MAYBE something to shed the rain off of it but that's all .

Posts: 4071 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
GenTent - Designed for running a portable generator in adverse weather conditions. It could be used for storage, but it obviously adds dimension to the generator as it's designed to allow for airflow. I have the GenTent Extreme which is the HD version. I've yet to use it in adverse weather so I can't really comment on the effectiveness other than it seems very well designed, and quite durable. I've also yet to need to use my Kohler PRO9.0E Generator during a power outage though...Thankfully? Wink

https://www.gentent.com/

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8975 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
It's probably different by you, but we didn't have any rain before the power came back on after Charley (out for 2 to 3 weeks) or Ian (out for 8 days). They were 18 years apart and we had no other need for a generator to power the house in between. My plan was to put a 10x10 EasyUp over it with the legs at the half up position if it rained.

Posts: 11034 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I don’t own a whole home generator so please forgive my ignorance. What is the reason to want to cover it while running? I assume we are talking about a permanently mounted generator such as a Generac. I could maybe see covering it while not in use, but I would think it needs open air while running.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8677 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mike - This is what we have used multiple times with 100% success - Cost is $50.00

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Oza...g=L1102&from=/search

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I would not. An typical air cooled generator engine needs air circulation - ventilation to not only cool the engine and oil but the electronic components as well.

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
We pop open a few step-stools and put a chunk of plywood over ours. Just to keep rain off the electrics.

Posts: 11399 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
Most portable generators have a CO monitor in them that will shut them off if the CO gasses build up too much. So any cover you get for it needs to have open sides for good airflow.

If you are keeping it on the pad, I would just build a plywood roof, hinged on the back so it can be lifted up for refueling. If you are looking just to cover while in use, the previously mentioned Generator Tents are the best option.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3357 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those gentents look perfect. Thanks

Posts: 1662 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
If there are a couple trees/posts to tie off to away from house, maybe a sloped tarp? I did that with a smoker in TX for rainy cooks, no problems with enough clearance.

Won't work DURING a hurricane, but for AFTER should be fine.

Probably better coverage than the gencondom with less heat retention?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12458 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Back when I had a portable generator, I ziptied a golf umbrella to the steel frame. I looked and don't have any pics.

To be fair, I let the hurricane pass before starting the generator. There is still thunderstorms, rain, and wind after it passes.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23337 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post