SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How is the weather in Georgia?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How is the weather in Georgia? Login/Join 
Picture of rtquig
posted
Last week I had a verbal run in with a student while subbing at my local high school. I work there basically for pocket money and to do extra with the family. I'm retired and have a small pension.

I told the school not to call for a few weeks and am thinking about driving down to Rydal GA. and stay with some friends to relax and get in some range time. The friends are pretty much homebound with health problems. Is it worth the drive or is the weather still in the "winter mode" so to speak? It would be an 18 hour drive and I would stay 5-6 days. I just need to get away. I looked at flights for FLA, but at the last minute they are cost prohibitive.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4033 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
A little bit of everything as usual.

https://www.wunderground.com/us/ga/rydal

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7651 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
That's about 25 miles NW of me.

There is a nice outdoor WMA range just North of there that is $5.00 for the whole day.

The weather next week is going to be cold and rain the first part.

Take 75 North to exit 320, turn left, go all the way down until it dead ends into SH 136 and turn right on Chestnut Mountain Road.

Follow it back to the range.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34390 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:

There is a nice outdoor WMA range just North of there that is $5.00 for the whole day.

Take 75 North to exit 320, turn left, go all the way down until it dead ends into SH 136 and turn right on Chestnut Mountain Road.

Pretty much sounds like the weather we are having. My friends have a range set up in their backyard, they have 10 acres on the side of a small mountain/hill. My wife does the drive several times a year with my daughter, I just don't know if I want to do 18 hours of driving and only staying a short time.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4033 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
Yep, a little bit of everything. Especially this time of the year. The week today says 60-50 days and 20-40 nights with slight chances of rain. I use the FOX5 News weather app, local, and seems to be pretty accurate.

The pollen is out, trees budding and flowers. The green stuff that coats your car and anything outside. If you have allergies be prepared. Pollen count has been under 200 so far. Some insect activity when it's a warm day. Mosquitoes have popped up here and there. Rydal is about 30 miles north of me. That's the NW Ga. area.

Do they have their own outdoor area to shoot? If not then you'll have to go to an indoor range. Not many outdoor areas in Ga for public. Most outdoor ranges are memebership type.

Have a safe trip.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1310 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:

Mars you sound like your in my backyard. Is the public area ok? Every time I talk to folks I hear more bad then good. Usually a lot of trash. And always seems to be one there with poor firearms etiquette. I would love to find an outdoor area close by. The closest outdoor 100yrd range I found is in Villa Rica.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1310 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Chestnut Mountain is maintained by the WMA, that's why there is a fee.

It's a nice covered range.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34390 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Back to your original question, it's a lot better here than in NJ.
Last few weeks have been like spring. We are going to have colder weather next week but so are you and our forecast likely doesn't include inches of snow.

Posts: 9798 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
If you don't mind a scenic drive across Burnt Mountain, I have a steel target range on my property.
Maybe Mars will bring a few of his toys.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39871 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Still up in the air between Fla. and Georgia. My wife is suggesting Georgia for a week, then drive down to Fla. to visit her mother. Flights are getting a little more reasonable the more I look. I can go from Atlantic City to Fort Myers for $360 round trip.

Living the Dream

Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
Are looking at flight to ATL or CHA? Atlanta might be less miles but I am betting Chattanooga will be faster. United flies nonstop EWR to CHA.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by detroit192:
Are looking at flight to ATL or CHA? Atlanta might be less miles but I am betting Chattanooga will be faster. United flies nonstop EWR to CHA.

Last time I flew into Atlanta. This time if I go, I will drive.

Living the Dream

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
Still up in the air between Fla. and Georgia. My wife is suggesting Georgia for a week, then drive down to Fla. to visit her mother. Flights are getting a little more reasonable the more I look. I can go from Atlantic City to Fort Myers for $360 round trip.

I live due East of Fort Myers in Pompano Beach. It's a lovely, sunny 84F today. Weather has been very mild and very nice this winter. Mostly 70's and 80's. Go for it. Fort Myers has some good food and good sights....sanibel/captiva, Thomas Edison house, ft. myers beach.....

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look at flights out of Trenton as well, frontier flies out of there at odd times but I can often get a cheap flight to see my
parents in Philly

Posts: 1703 | Location: Alpharetta, GA | Registered: September 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
Until this weekend it was spring, now it's cold and wet. They say it'll be chilly for the next week or so.

Posts: 1850 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

I live due East of Fort Myers in Pompano Beach. It's a lovely, sunny 84F today. Weather has been very mild and very nice this winter. Mostly 70's and 80's. Go for it. Fort Myers has some good food and good sights....sanibel/captiva, Thomas Edison house, ft. myers beach.....

I agree with Jimmy! I'm at 2 o'clock from Ft Myers to Jimmy's 4 o'clock from Ft Meyers. You should be safe from the transplanted New Jersey drivers in Ft Meyers Smile Smile Smile Smile ! They all seem to be on the I95 side Smile

Beth Greene

Posts: 7846 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjtnova:
Look at flights out of Trenton as well, frontier flies out of there at odd times but I can often get a cheap flight to see my
parents in Philly

I don't know when they stopped, but Frontier no longer does that flight.

Living the Dream

Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
quote:
quote:

I agree with Jimmy! I'm at 2 o'clock from Ft Myers to Jimmy's 4 o'clock from Ft Meyers. You should be safe from the transplanted New Jersey drivers in Ft Meyers Smile Smile Smile Smile ! They all seem to be on the I95 side Smile

It seems like most old folks here retire to Fla. and wear white shoes and while belts. Wink

Living the Dream

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
quote:
quote:

It seems like most old folks here retire to Fla. and wear white shoes and while belts. Wink

and have blue hair and drive 25mph in a 45 mph....and us native Floridians are stuck dealing with them!

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Today? Fargin' COLD!

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6896 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post