SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need suggestion for retirement property location
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need suggestion for retirement property location Login/Join 
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Check out the S. Carolina side of Clark's Hill Reservoir/ Lake Thurmond. Wonderful, quiet, huge lake and not far from Augusta or Anderson. Or a little north on Russell or Hartwell and you're closer to Greenville.

If you want a more central location, somewhere north of Memphis in TN might work. Maybe around Reelfoot.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10493 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ador:
Here is what is on our wish list/requirement:

6. No (minimal) snow

quote:
Maybe Mid-West, and up North (close to Canadian border).

?

I would have sworn that the Midwest and North (let alone the Canadian border) would be great places to go if one _loved_ snow.

Posts: 15035 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
So pretty much you are looking for everyone who lives in a snow state with high taxes dream property and also the dream property for all of the people living in that city 20-30 away all for less than $100,000. Your parameters are going to have to change

Posts: 10995 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
This is exactly the reason why I posted this question here. A lot of information and suggestions from folks who have real life experience and have first hand information on the topic. I really appreciate the feedbacks.

We are heading out on another 3 week road trip early Spring 2022. Will be checking out new places we have not been to.

Waco and San Antonio, TX is what my wife kept on mentioning after our last trip. We saw a VA facility around Waco, TX. Transferring there is an option for me for the last 3 years of my employment before deciding to retire.

Posts: 1887 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
Caution - state taxes can be very complicated.

Make sure you consider both property and income tax. Case in point, we moved from Texas to NC (job related). My NC income and property tax were less than my property tax in Texas. The NC house was actually more expensive.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
Anywhere close enough to visit Canada, that doesn't snow a lot. Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:
Here is what is on our wish list/requirement:

6. No (minimal) snow

quote:
Maybe Mid-West, and up North (close to Canadian border).

?

I would have sworn that the Midwest and North (let alone the Canadian border) would be great places to go if one _loved_ snow.

Posts: 1887 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Yeah buddy, no state income tax.

Texas has no state income tax, but property taxes are outta sight, just crazy.

I think you should look at Tulsa OK, and to the East and a little North and South.

Low cost of living, nice environment.

There is an Oklahoma State income tax but it is low enough, and coupled with the low cost of living, it's a good enough deal. Check it out.

Posts: 11859 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
My comment is based on currently owning waterfront property in three different countries and two different states. As an example, one property is 5 acres with 165’ of frontage on a lake where current prices are $1,000 a front foot. It’s located in a state with lots of snow, high property and income taxes, and an hour away from the nearest city with a Home Depot. The nearest Target store is at least two hours away.

I’m in one of the least expensive waterfront areas in Florida. $100,000 is the starting point for a lot on a lake and 5 acre no waterfront lots run $50,000.

Posts: 10995 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anywhere close enough to visit Canada, that doesn't snow a lot. Big Grin

Well the flyover states: Wyoming, the Dakotas, Nebraska, etc. have areas with reasonable (under 35" / year) snow but the temperatures can be down there along with wind chills. Many check all your other requirements. That said lakefronts invariably are remote to urban areas and medical facilities.

Having grown up in an area back East that got 180" to 200" per year of the white stuff, this area I'm in is downright pleasant. LoL

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16250 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Yeah buddy, no state income tax.

Texas has no state income tax, but property taxes are outta sight, just crazy.

I think you should look at Tulsa OK, and to the East and a little North and South.

Low cost of living, nice environment.

There is an Oklahoma State income tax but it is low enough, and coupled with the low cost of living, it's a good enough deal. Check it out.
I have a cousin who lives in Claremore, Oklahoma, about an hour SE of Tulsa and almost on the Arkansas border. He's actually outside the main part of town and loves it there--no neighbors (don't know his acreage, though, but it's pretty big).

Claremore is the home of the Will Rogers Museum and the J.M. Davis Arms and Historical Museum, both of which are nice to visit and to take guests to see. Tulsa is close enough to use for support.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
One coworker just retired in the Rusk, TX, area and is trying to talk another into one of the nearby big manmade lakes - Lake Jacksonville and Lake Striker

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23305 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

I have a cousin who lives in Claremore, Oklahoma, about an hour SE of Tulsa and almost on the Arkansas border. He's actually outside the main part of town and loves it there--no neighbors (don't know his acreage, though, but it's pretty big).

Claremore is the home of the Will Rogers Museum and the J.M. Davis Arms and Historical Museum, both of which are nice to visit and to take guests to see. Tulsa is close enough to use for support.

flashguy

A point of clarification, Claremore is not SE of Tulsa, it's NE and about 15 miles from Tulsa, and is closer to Missouri than Arkansas.

Sometimes a state with no income tax is more expensive than one with an income tax. You have to remember that once you retire you won't be making as much in income and your tax bite will be much less. Texas has outrageous property taxes as others have mentioned, in fact a few houses we were looking at in Texas were about 1800sq ft. and prop taxes ranged from $3800 to over $6000. That's more than I would pay in OK for the same sized house and paying their income tax.

Also, those states with no income tax are being flooded with refugees from other high tax states. For instance, Knoxville is pushing 1 million people. A few years ago it used to be around 300k which means land and housing prices are rising.

Good luck!

"Evil can never be dead enough" Brevard County, Fla., sheriff Wayne Ivey

Posts: 83 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: April 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
That's a lot of requirements. I believe you're going to prioritize your list and make a few concessions. Central Tennessee probably comes as close to what you're looking for except water front and has a lot to offer. There is winter and some snow. Know thought what you are seeking is what a lot of retirement people are looking for, so parcels are scarce.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henkelphoto:
A point of clarification, Claremore is not SE of Tulsa, it's NE and about 15 miles from Tulsa, and is closer to Missouri than Arkansas.
OK, mea culpa. I'm not too good at geography. Where my cousin lives (on the west edge of Claremore) is more than 15 miles from downtown Tulsa.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Good luck and I hope you find property you are looking for. I live in Central Texas and 6 years ago my wife and I bought 5 acres of retirement land 12 miles NW of Bastrop, TX that is heavily wooded. It was $60K back then and now $130K for the 5 acres and not even close to a lake. We are still a good ways off from retirement time, but almost started to build right when COVID and a few other challenges hit. We have postponed building for a while.

I think you will have a tough time finding raw lake front property for that price range. Heck probably hard just to find raw lake front property at least here where I am.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingfoot
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is exactly the reason why I posted this question here. A lot of information and suggestions from folks who have real life experience and have first hand information on the topic. I really appreciate the feedbacks.

We are heading out on another 3 week road trip early Spring 2022. Will be checking out new places we have not been to.

Waco and San Antonio, TX is what my wife kept on mentioning after our last trip. We saw a VA facility around Waco, TX. Transferring there is an option for me for the last 3 years of my employment before deciding to retire.

I lived in Waco in the 90's and really liked it a lot but ended up getting laid off and the job prospects for my line of work were zilch. My wife and I've visited a couple of times over the years and are looking at going back to visit possibly this fall. I would say it it would be a fine place to retire and I'm sure a nursing job wouldn't be that hard to find there. My wife is a BSN RN and she sometimes talks about doing he RV thing and travel nursing, I think it would be fun, for a while.

Posts: 1843 | Location: Peachtree City, GA | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
Good luck and I hope you find property you are looking for. I live in Central Texas and 6 years ago my wife and I bought 5 acres of retirement land 12 miles NW of Bastrop, TX that is heavily wooded. It was $60K back then and now $130K for the 5 acres and not even close to a lake. We are still a good ways off from retirement time, but almost started to build right when COVID and a few other challenges hit. We have postponed building for a while.

I think you will have a tough time finding raw lake front property for that price range. Heck probably hard just to find raw lake front property at least here where I am.

A California movie studio just bought 550 acres in Bastrop to build a new studio there, so real estate in Bastrop is going up, up, up.

Posts: 3187 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
Point Roberts, WA, You will need a passport to come and go easily.

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henkelphoto:
Sometimes a state with no income tax is more expensive than one with an income tax. You have to remember that once you retire you won't be making as much in income and your tax bite will be much less. Texas has outrageous property taxes as others have mentioned, in fact a few houses we were looking at in Texas were about 1800sq ft. and prop taxes ranged from $3800 to over $6000. That's more than I would pay in OK for the same sized house and paying their income tax.

Exactly.

For example, my taxes for last year in Arkansas were roughly:

$1900 state income tax
$1900 real property (house) tax
$150 personal property (car) tax

That's just under $4,000 total tax burden. That's less than property taxes alone would be in some areas of Texas. In other recent threads about Texas property taxes, some members have reported anywhere from $5500 to $12,000 per year just in property tax.

And that's just one easy example because I have access to my tax records. Arkansas isn't even one of the lowest tax states out there. There are other states, like Oklahoma, Arizona, and West Virginia, that beat it despite all those states also having income taxes too.

So "no state income tax" isn't always all it's cracked up to be. Especially for retirement, where you taxable income will likely be less. Instead, you'll want to look at total tax burden.

Posts: 32538 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of people buy lake front or water front property and then find in summer, they are inundated with idiots on jet skis, drunks with speedboats and an obnoxious party crowd all summer long. Choose wisely. Another fun water front problem is varying water levels. You can have high water conditions that encroach on your property and in other times, low water conditions that put a weedy muddy mess between you and the water line.
Quite a few folks here in the Yoop deal with these situations.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16110 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post