SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My Brisket Oh Crap Moment
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Brisket Oh Crap Moment Login/Join 
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted
I'm 7 hours into smoking a 7lb brisket in the Big Green Egg. Two hours prior to the end, I pulled the brisket to wrap it in a foil packet. The plan was to dump a cup of coffee into the packet with it. After I got the brisket back into the Egg, I noticed the cup of coffee was still on the counter, full.

That's odd, I thought. That's when I noticed that my cup of Diet Dr. Pepper next to it was empty. Eek

SONOFABITCH!

I quickly retrieved the packet and replaced the liquid. I'll let everyone know how it turns out. Who knows? Maybe I stumbled onto a winning recipe modification.

DAMMIT.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Laugh

I hope your inadvertent experimentation turns out.

Posts: 11159 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Dr Pepper brine or injection is pretty common in Texas. Diet Dr Pepper not so much...

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
That's what I get for rushing. Red Face

quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Dr Pepper brine or injection is pretty common in Texas. Diet Dr Pepper not so much...

That's basically how I explained it to the wife. Smile

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I’ve used Dr Pepper to brine with good results, I am sure it will be fine.

Posts: 2951 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I think you’ll be fine. Let us know how awesome it turns out. Smile

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
It's rernt!

Send it to me, I'll dispose of it following proper hazardous waste protocol.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
It’ll be fine, I’m sure it’ll give you the meat sweats.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I am lost.
~ Every Texan

Just kidding, kind of……I have never heard of adding coffee, or any liquid, to a smoked brisket. I do realize that brisket as a cut of meat is cooked many ways by different folks but I have never heard of slow smoking then finishing in a liquid. I have spritzed a pork but with apple juice but never wrapped any meat on a smoker with a cup of introduced liquid.

Is this a common thing widely done or a regional practice specific to your location?

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
7lbs is kinda light. Flat?? If flat only than I guess I understand using liquid. I’ve only done full packers, As any real Texan would. But I’m from Massachusetts so…

All that being said I’ve seen tons of recipes include Dr. Pepper in bbq. I’d have let it ride.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12423 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Well, seems like you’ve just reached the statutory age of senility. Welcome to the CRS CLUB too.
You just need some “Make ‘Em Eat It.” You can put that stuff on anything and it will make them eat it. Big Grin

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
UPDATE:

Well...it was pretty damn good. It was tender and had a nice bark on it. It was juicier than it looks in the photo. The liquid addition was something I'd seen in a few recipes, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Plus, I included ground espresso beans in the dry rub. I used apple wood chunks for the smoke in the BGE. I would do it again, though I don't know if the Diet Dr. Pepper added anything or not.

quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
7lbs is kinda light. Flat?? If flat only than I guess I understand using liquid. I’ve only done full packers, As any real Texan would. But I’m from Massachusetts so…

All that being said I’ve seen tons of recipes include Dr. Pepper in bbq. I’d have let it ride.

It was actually half a brisket; there's only four of us, and two are under 8 years old. The other half I'm saving for next time.

posted Hide Post
Glad it turned out well!

As for the other half- two words:
Pa
Strami

Wink

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8336 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
I am lost.
~ Every Texan

Just kidding, kind of……I have never heard of adding coffee, or any liquid, to a smoked brisket. I do realize that brisket as a cut of meat is cooked many ways by different folks but I have never heard of slow smoking then finishing in a liquid. I have spritzed a pork but with apple juice but never wrapped any meat on a smoker with a cup of introduced liquid.

Is this a common thing widely done or a regional practice specific to your location?

I have not added liquid to a brisket, but when I smoke a large chuck roast(Mimi-brisket) I smoke it for 2-3 hours, then double wrap it in alum foil, and I add 1/2 of a yeasty beer before closing it up and putting it back into the smoker for another 3-4 hours. Works like a charm and is super tender and juicy.

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
I think the Dr Pepper would of been a good addition in place of the coffee ... would of turned out well either way.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a diet Brisket. Glad it turned out good. My dad used to put root beer in his water pan when doing ribs

Posts: 1568 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
A few tips:
  • If you want to incorporate liquid, do it prior to smoking in the form of an injection. Regular (not low salt) beef broth will boost flavor and increase moisture, and it's dirt cheap. There are competition injections but they're pricey.
  • If you want to incorporate Dr. Pepper, try regular (i.e. not the diet kind) Dr Pepper or Cherry Dr Pepper.
  • If you want to foil (aka Texas Crutch), use it to break through "the stall" at ~150F (i.e. use it to save time). The stall can last 4 to 6 hours, and tightly wrapping in foil can save 2 hours. The stall is actually the meat sweating so moisture is evaporating instead of temperature rising. If you foil, all of the evaporation pools in foil (i.e. no need add liquid when wrapping) and leave foiled until 203. If the bottom bark became soggy, sear it.
  • Testing things out is fun. However, do it eyes wide open knowing there is a lot of myths when it comes to BBQ so many of the tests just increase time and cost rather than improve the final product.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of jbcummings
    posted Hide Post
    Somewhere I read that once a meat gets to 130-ish, it quits taking on smoke. But you can wrap it and finish the cook for your desired time/tenderness. The additional part was that you could open it back up near the finish and “bast” the meat with an appropriate liquid. The liquid would also hold smoke and add to the flavor.

———-
    Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    You have cow?
    I lift cow!
    posted Hide Post
    Looks dam good. Brisket is what they serve in Heaven, breakfast lunch and dinner.

I'm not sure what would happen if you put Diet Dr Pepper on it, but I'm sure I'd still eat it. Big Grin

------------------------------
    http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6963 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post