SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question about wireless computer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about wireless computer Login/Join 
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted
Just bought new Dell desktop which operates wirelessly with no problems. Of course it's situated close to the router.

I intend to connect it to the router via ethernet cable. Would that automatically override the wireless function or is there something that should be disabled or uninstalled? Want to avoid any potential conflict.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1490 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Once connected via Ethernet cable, go to the little wifi icon on the taskbar and right click it. It will give you an option for settings.
Turn off wifi. You should be good to go.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4031 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
Once connected via Ethernet cable, go to the little wifi icon on the taskbar and right click it. It will give you an option for settings.

I know about the icon, it's on the laptop, but missing on the Dell. Only thing I can find is on the Win 10 Settings where there's an option to turn on/off Bluetooth. Right now it's on.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1490 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
It'll probably automatically turn off WiFi when it senses an Ethernet connection. My laptop running Linux does. I think it does running MS-Win7 Pro, as well.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Like what has been mentioned before it most likely disable the WiFi but even if it didn't there would be no harm.

Posts: 22943 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogB:
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:

I know about the icon, it's on the laptop, but missing on the Dell. Only thing I can find is on the Win 10 Settings where there's an option to turn on/off Bluetooth. Right now it's on.

Bluetooth has nothing to do with WiFi. If you're not connecting BT accessories to your computer, turn it off. Leaving it on really does no harm, it's just another thing running that you don't need. Once you connect via cable, just go to the settings and turn off WiFi as again that's just something running that you don't need.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Shouldn't make a difference if its on or off.

As long as both network adapters are active when connected they work. No real reason to turn it off (wifi)when on a hard line.

You should be able to click on the network icon down by the clock, then you'll see the option to turn on and off wi-fi.

Posts: 23585 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post