SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Saving pumpkin seeds?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Saving pumpkin seeds? Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted
Wife unit bought a yuge pumpkin last fall for the yard decorating. It was about 75 lbs.
When done with it I saved the seeds and have planted a few of them in small pots to sprout. I have no idea the variety.

But now I wonder if they will reproduce true or be something crappy because of cross breading or hybrids.

Should I not waste my time and space with them, or is it worth following through? If the odds are not in my favor I may just forget planting them, toast and eat the rest and call it a day.

Thanks
TD

EDIT to change: huge to yuge Big Grin

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I suspect they will not produce anything yuuuge.

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid my mom used to roast them on a cookie sheet with some salt. Yummy Smile

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
IMHO just roast them.
You plant one hill of seeds and it will take over a hundred square feet or more.
You can manage it to grow only one pumpkin,meaning you have to prune it almost daily.

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Personally, I'd save a few of the seeds and grow at least one of them to see, just as a fun project. They aren't hard to grow but take some space.

If I was purposely trying to get another 75 pounder, though, I'd order some specific giant variety seeds and dedicate my efforts and space to those.

Posts: 15023 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Yea prolly not worth the trouble. I used to grow a lot of cantaloupes, planted at the edge of the garden and directed them to grow out into the surrounding yard. I would mulch with straw and move them and mow until they got to big to move around etc but it was a pain. I expect pumpkins would be even worse.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My yuge pumpkin seeds produced yuge pumpkins. I finally ended up digging the plant out, it kept spreading when I didn't pick the pumpkins.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/result...+pumpkin+seed+saving

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54607 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post