SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Most bugs I don’t mind, but a centipede came in my house Sunday
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Most bugs I don’t mind, but a centipede came in my house Sunday Login/Join 
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Any particular reason a size 11 shoe and 200 pounds of weight above it wouldn't work?

I've had smaller versions of that centipede in my basement. Stepping and grinding on them only annoys them.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
You had the centipede when you poured acetone on it. All you needed was a match. Big Grin

Posts: 9032 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had a millipede in our house the other day and not sure how it got there.

Posts: 6871 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Shame about your house. I assume you burned it to the ground and/or nuked it from orbit. Just to be sure.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1951 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Trying to get rid of the crickets they feed on by setting glue traps in corners.

I have a cricket problem in my house which the 6 month old short haired female kitten takes care of. She happily stomps the shit out of them.

She always gets a nice treat afterwards.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
The bark scorpions in AZ

The most venomous scorpion in North America. They are the most common scorpion we see in these parts. They are also considered the only scorpion in AZ to be life threatening. If you really want to see how common they are, do as Rick Lee says and take a black light outside at night.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Dang.... ours don't that big around here. If I do see one that big the old jc higgins 410 is going to have a work out! Big Grin

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
My one and only experience with one of those happened on our porch while renting in Radium Springs, NM. I grabbed a shovel and proceeded to cut it in half. The two halves took off in different directions and it was in that moment that I knew I fucked up. I left in yet another direction and never saw another or those two again.

We also had sun spiders there and those were creepy. They had good vision and moved at speeds seemingly impossible when attempting to squash them. After a few sightings we got onto a routine commercial extermination plan.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I have never seen one of those nasty things in PA and I am ok with that. You must live somewhere warmer than me.

On an unrelated note, while others will move south when they get old, when I get to that point, I am moving north. I like my insects few and innocuous.

Posts: 3142 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
I have a cricket problem in my house which the 6 month old short haired female kitten takes care of. She happily stomps the shit out of them.
We had a cat that would dismember them. We simply picked up the pieces. Smile

Posts: 9032 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Is that a centipede from the Jurassic period?! Eek

Posts: 5071 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
^ ^ ^ No. the Jurassic was from about 200-145 million years ago. The critters were able to get so large during the Carboniferous because the oxygen in the air got up to about 35%. There were dragonflies with wingspans of over two feet.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
WHOA. Glad you got it before it got you.

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I believe they are misnamed, since milli and centi are fractional prefixes. They should be hectopedes and kilopedes.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Don't think the Bug-A-Salt is going to handle that one. May have to pick up a double in .410....

Posts: 6452 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
A seven inch centipede is more than I would care to see. My wife would melt down.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reminder to spray for bugs. Just finished hosing down the interior and exterior and yard…no bugs today

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11269 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post