SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Most bugs I don’t mind, but a centipede came in my house Sunday
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Most bugs I don’t mind, but a centipede came in my house Sunday Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted
So most bugs I don’t worry about. Spiders, ants, wasps, scorpions, none of them really bother me.

Last week we were talking about Fleseatingvirus’s chicken that ate a centipede. Well, one of those nasty mofos came in my house. 8:30 Sunday morning, headed to Home Depot, and this little shit was chillin on the garage floor. I didn’t have any bug killer, so I grabbed a can of acetone and doused him. It didn’t kill him. I ended up putting a bucket over him and hosed him with bug spray when I returned from Home Depot.

I really hate centipedes.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4030 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Personal hatred aside I keep seeing that those are actually beneficial as they are vicious predators and kill just about every other insect in your home.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37997 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Those pics are Eek. Can't say you didn't warn a feller though.

Posts: 1060 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Mor’ chikens’

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Personal hatred aside I keep seeing that those are actually beneficial as they are vicious predators and kill just about every other insect in your home.

There will be no more insects in my home. While at Home Depot, I picked up a really nice USA made Dewalt sprayer. I stopped at Tractor Supply and picked up a bottle of Bifenthrin concentrate. Sprayed the interior just like Conn Pest used to do. Sprayed the exterior pretty liberally.
Since it rained a lot this week, once the rain is out of the forecast, I’ll hit the exterior again.

I was getting the pest control guy to stop by from time to time, but they are too busy, unless you are in their regular contracted annual service.

I spent $80 on a sprayer and the bifen, and have enough to treat my house for a damn long time.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4030 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Looks like you need a bit of poultry in your life…

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17297 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a cousin who lived back in the woods in the 1960's. He said he woke up to an uncomfortable pain on his earlobe. He pulled one of these little devils off of his earlobe and smashed it.

I asked why such a panic response and he said it reminded him of a miniature version of "The Tingler" from that famous horror film off the 1950's. I have to admit their shape and color tend to make them VERY EVIL! Eek

Posts: 1627 | Registered: February 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Any particular reason a size 11 shoe and 200 pounds of weight above it wouldn't work?

Posts: 20125 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43918 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
This is why, when camping, you need to shake out your shoes before putting them on.

Posts: 27990 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
This is why, when camping, you need to shake out your shoes before putting them on.

When camping, heck. If you live in the desert, you shake them out every morning before donning.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10790 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Jesus, man! You have “people” (or shall I say chickens aka nyx). Ship that bird over and point her in the right direction.
Beneficial or not, I just couldn’t let that thing live in my home…

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5342 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
I really hate centipedes.

The Giant Desert Centipede.

I have learned that in the desert we have a "Giant" version of just about every bug/arachnid.

The Giant Root Borer:

The Giant Hairy Scorpion:

I gave that critter to a neighbor who teaches elementary school. Her class posed it in its normal state, and it was declared the "Hassayampa Elementary Bug of the Day".

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10790 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Any particular reason a size 11 shoe and 200 pounds of weight above it wouldn't work?

Because it’s 9” long and fast as fuck. If I catch half under the shoe, the other half can twist and get in the shoe. The legs could easily pierce my shoe. Those little legs will bury themselves deep in anything when provoked.

quote:
The “lol” thread

Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Henry, I had one of those scorpions a few weeks ago. He was pretty cool. He spent a few days in the glass, and I took him a ways away and turned him loose.

quote:
The “lol” thread

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Years ago my bride killed one of those big centipedes in the living room with the little shovel from the fireplace tools. Made me pretty proud of her.

Posts: 26937 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
When we lived in southern Yavapai County, not far from henryaz, I got up one night and walked out into the kitchen in the dark. I stepped on one of those centipedes and it stung me on the top of the foot. That hurt like fire! To make matters worse, the bastard scurried under the stove and got away.

quote:
It has been said, and truly, that everything in the desert either stings, stabs, stinks, or sticks. You will find the flora here as venomous, hooked, barbed, thorny, prickly, needled, saw-toothed, hairy, stickered, mean, bitter, sharp, wiry, and fierce as the animals.
- Edward Abbey

Posts: 13300 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

Because it’s 9” long and fast as fuck. If I catch half under the shoe, the other half can twist and get in the shoe. The legs could easily pierce my shoe. Those little legs will bury themselves deep in anything when provoked.

Eek

I'd be going after it with a 12ga then. Sheesh, our centipedes are maybe an inch long and harmless.

Posts: 20125 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
The bark scorpions in AZ glow bright green under a black light and you can see them from 50' away. I killed 10 in the backyard last night, been averaging 7-8 per night recently. I use a torch and black light. Very satisfying. I've been stung in the house three times and I'd make those fuckers talk first if I could, that's how much I hate them. Spraying has done nothing. Trying to get rid of the crickets they feed on by setting glue traps in corners. That tends to work pretty well.

Posts: 3549 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Be thankful you didn't live in the Carboniferous period (~360-300 million years ago). Then there were centipedes that were over 8ft long.

Google 'arthropleura' (or not). Eek

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15487 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post