SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fruits from supermarkets
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fruits from supermarkets Login/Join 
Banned
posted Hide Post
GREAT post. One of my pet peeves is supermarket fruit. Generally looks teriffic but has no flavor or doesn't ripen. We throw away or return so much of what we buy. I grew up on a place that had hundreds of various fruit trees and a huge garden. Store produce is very poor. NOT always but quite often. Long for the days of the produce I had as a kid.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
'S up with all them dang ID stickers on so many varieties?

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9874 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Like Doublesharp said;

Sample it prior to buying. Safeway will allow you to sample fruits. The produce personnel will even slice it for you. That’s the best way to buy.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4366 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Long shelf life and ease of harvest and shipping are valued above all else.

We here in the Midwest get mediocre produce year round because of this. You in the growing regions get the same shit because of us. About the only thing I can depend on is sweet corn (in season) and apples. Farmers markets for garden crops.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5237 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
'S up with all them dang ID stickers on so many varieties?

Ever wonder how they track a shit infested head of lettuce back to the field it came from?

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5237 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
what i don’t understand is why fruit and veggies coming from peru or chile or costa rica is so much more tasty than the same grown here. i buy peru onions almost exclusively now. and fruit from chile when available.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13115 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
Regions do make a difference but it's really all about the sugar content when picked. Fine edged sword. You get best flavor but you don't have shelf life if you harvest when ripe and mature. I spent 24 years as a produce buyer and the most important tool I had was my knife. Sample the product. Even when peaches or nectarines were hard if the sugar was there you could taste it.

Nothing beats buying local and harvest at peak ripeness. Very hard to find that at a supermarket.

Oranges now have either been in cold controlled atmosphere storage for several months or else they are from s of the equator. Most of what I see are storage from California and the season is dwindling. I like med lg size navels 80 or 88 count. Large 56 size do have thick peels from Cal. Peak season is Jan/Feb. Now a Fl navel has a thin skin and is delicious but seldom seen outside the state.

this,

and Cantalope,,

having grown up eating Turbeville Cantalope, all of the stuff you get in the grocery stores pale in comparison,

however, local season for lopes is fast approaching,,

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10594 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I was affiliated with the most successful markets in Louisville, Paul's Fruit Markets and helped him set up an air freight tomato operation back in the late 80s where we had a crew of tomato pickers pick out of Ft Myers Fl, started in Immokolee but later found a u-pick grower in Ft Misery nearer the airport. Tomatoes were picked showing color. Not dead red but breaking good, star pink was the usual term.

We packed in single layer 10lb boxes with a 1/2" foam liner on bottom and a bubble pack liner on top then we had a deal with UPS to pack their storage containers with the boxes of tomatoes and air ship to Louisville. Very labor intensive but also very successful and we had something no one else had. They had to come by air because riding on a truck was too slow plus the bouncing is too hard on ripe tomatoes. Fl tomatoes get a bad rap because most are picked solid green and gas ripened. If you pick Fl tomatoes ripe or near ripe they have good flavor.

Same time frame I'd live at a by the week furnished motel in Forest Park Ga during April-mid May buying southern vegetables off the Atlanta farmers mkt. I got 30 cents a package for buying and supervising loading the truck. Again it gave us something that other stores/markets didn't have. Paul's is still going strong but I got the chance to sell my store to his general mgr back in 97 and I've been living on mail box money since. Still have the real estate and it was still a market/deli until this spring. Now vacant. Small business casualty wuflu played a part in.

My market in the mid 90s

Posts: 4829 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Some foods are always going to be good and you can count on them.

Palisade Peaches from Palisade Colorado, Olathe corn from Olathe Colorado, are some I look for every year and buy a lot of. Hatch Chiles from Hatch NM.

I'm sure there are other items around the country, probably more regional.

Posts: 11995 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Vidalia Onions

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
Those Japanese berries could be from the US. They are known for buying up the top end of the supply - they will pay, several times what they could be sold for in the US.

They do import U. S. strawberries but mostly for use in cakes, pastries, frozen goods, etc. When they're in season, most of the fresh strawberries in the markets will be domestic. Regardless of where they're from, the origin will be clearly marked. Japanese strawberries are excellent, and many different areas have their own varieties. I was told by one of the farmers we visited that the shelf life of Japanese strawberries isn't as long as U. S. strawberries but they sure do taste good. Of course, we have some excellent strawberries too, but unfortunately, not in the supermarkets near me.

十人十色

Posts: 2109 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kramden:
GREAT post. One of my pet peeves is supermarket fruit. Generally looks teriffic but has no flavor or doesn't ripen. We throw away or return so much of what we buy. I grew up on a place that had hundreds of various fruit trees and a huge garden. Store produce is very poor. NOT always but quite often. Long for the days of the produce I had as a kid.
THIS!

Virtually all the watermelons we get here are the genetically engineered seedless variety. When they took the seeds out they also took the flavor. Bring back the big ole oblong seeded watermelons. My Dad had a knack for picking 'em.

Posts: 9297 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:
Originally posted by kramden:
THIS!

Virtually all the watermelons we get here are the genetically engineered seedless variety. When they took the seeds out they also took the flavor. Bring back the big ole oblong seeded watermelons. My Dad had a knack for picking 'em.
Yes!! Those old big watermelon were so good.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I'm uncertain how accurate this is, but I've heard that now with all the GMO seed companies, and the money to be made, that they've made it really difficult to buy the old fashioned seeds that made the wonderful taste and quality of the old days.

We used to get lots of Black Diamond watermelons around here, but nowadays they're so hard to find, the growers have difficulty getting the seed.

Posts: 11995 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
I cut back significantly on the fruit I eat after going low carb in early 2018. Through a lot of my reading, supermarket fruit have been modified from natural to be more sweet - to the detriment of good health if over eaten.

About the worst thing you can consume is fruit juice - whether or not it has sugar added. Right up there with coke or pepsi or big gult whathaveyou. Goes straight to your liver and fattens it right up.

Back to fruit..., only a few showed up being recommended - most of them are berries, and of course, avocados. As far as getting them from the supermarket, I use these lists to see which fruits or vegetables are more likely to have pesticides in them, whether to buy organic:

EWG’s 2020 Shopper’s Guide to Pesticides in Produce

Clean Fifteen

Dirty Dozen

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I worked 9 years in the Produce dept of a local Supermarket and can tell you the quality,taste,color,size,etc.,of fruit and veggies can change with the seasons and growing conditions and what country it comes from.This is really true with fruit,usually early season fruit will come from South and Central American countries and later in the season from the U.S.and even local growers especially tomato’s and sweet corn.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post