SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Oooooolllldddd Gold Ring Scam
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Oooooolllldddd Gold Ring Scam Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted
This old con has been making the rounds lately, and I got hit this morning on the freeway on-ramp. Someone pretends to have car trouble or be out of gas. They are foreigner (often from Dubai for some reason) and have no money on them. If you would be so kind as to give them a bit of cash, you can have this gold ring (or necklace, or Rolex).

I gave the gentleman a piece of my mind and drove off. Fortunately I'd recently seen several Youtube vids on this scam, and I suspected as such before he even started talking. I did report him to the local po-po.

Anyone else run into this lately?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16382 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I have zero sympathy for people who are dumb enough to fall for this crap.

That guy should be embarrassed beyond belief he gave the guy $2500, he deserves to lose it.

Posts: 33862 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I got hit up by a Latina in the back seat of a rather decent SUV. As I walked back to my car in the lot of Jerry's (a Home Depot type store) I was offered a gold ring for cash to help the "unfortunate" SUV people. I refused and they drove off.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6321 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
If it is too good to be true, then it is.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
A couple years ago, I was approached by a Gypsy looking family in an SUV in front of a Lowe's. They handed me a gold ring and wanted $40. I dropped it back on their lap and preceded to walk into the storefront while they kept trying to call me back for a deal.

Posts: 7424 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
"Only cheat the cheaters, boy; you can't cheat an honest man!"
-Mordecai Jones

"The Flim-Flam Man"

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43918 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Greed, on both him and the scammer.

Posts: 426 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
About 2 years ago someone tried the "extra speaker from an install" con on me in a parking lot. I thought that one went away a loooong time agao also.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10730 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
-Mordecai Jones

"The Flim-Flam Man"

Glad to see your back monkey.

Posts: 12730 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

That guy should be embarrassed beyond belief he gave the guy $2500, he deserves to lose it.

Agreed, being helpful is one thing but when the greed kicks in and you go for getting something for nothing then you are going to get deservedly burned. Frown

Posts: 22940 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
-Mordecai Jones

"The Flim-Flam Man"

Glad to see your back monkey.
Didn't realize he was gone.

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
As seen in Zombieland. Didn’t realize people actually pull this.

Posts: 17195 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
When I was stationed in Jacksonville FL there was a need gas scam that people were trying to pull all over. They approach you with a sob story of driving long distance to see family, but they're not home and they're almost out of gas. After seeing the same guy at the same station three days running I loudly asked if his sister was home yet, and how did he mamage to stay here for three days with no gas, money, or food?

Posts: 7076 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
As seen in Zombieland. Didn’t realize people actually pull this.

That was a great scene.

This seems to be spreading worldwide, probably fueled by Youtube vids. That's how I first learned of it, in fact just days before it actually happened to me.

Here's the scam being run in Prague...

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16382 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

No. He is dumb, but no one deserves to be robbed.

I don't want to sound like Pollyanna, but we shouldn't have to worry about scammers.

I don't blame someone who doesn't lock their doors and gets robbed, even though I think it is dumb not to lock your door.

These scams are old, sure, but there is a new crop of ignoramuses and greedy people all the time.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
About 2 years ago someone tried the "extra speaker from an install" con on me in a parking lot. I thought that one went away a loooong time agao also.

I got hit with that about 26 years ago when I was a teenager. Amazingly they had an extra pair of speakers available and were willing to sell them for just $125 (about the amount of my paycheck from the grocery store that week).

I bought them and actually thought they were decent full size speakers with 12" subwoofers. I sold them later for a few hundred bucks. Guess I was the scammer then...

Posts: 2017 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:

I've never heard of this, but I think some moron coworkers of mine fell for this a few months ago. They were bragging about buying some $5,000 set of home audio speakers out of the trunk of some clown in a parking lot for about $500. I didn't think of it as a scam until just now, I figured they bought some stolen goods. Either way, I know I would've walked.

Posts: 17195 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
A friend parted with $20 for a ring, if gold, would have been worth 3-4 thousand. Middle-eastern, beater car, "on way to airport with cash-flow issues". I told friend I would not pat $1.50 for the ring.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got hit with the "flat tire" scam 3 days in a row when going to work, same con artist. My wife and I got hit with the flat tire scam with a woman who "had a flat on Blazer Drive" two weeks in a row. My wife told her she needed to keep her ass of Blazer if it kept flattening her tires.

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post