SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A little schooling on automatic gate openers please.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A little schooling on automatic gate openers please. Login/Join 
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted
I’m thinking about installing a 12 ft. driveway swing gate and later an automatic opener. The gate will weigh less than 500 lbs.
I’m leaning toward Ghost Control, but don’t know if there is a more reliable brand available. Some product choice and installation tips would be appreciated.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put 2 six foot Gates on my driveway and used Liftmaster actuators and controller. The only problem I had was getting the geometry of the actuators figured out. It isn't rocket science but if you get it wrong the actuators will hit the gate or even break the gate. I started off doing solar but ended up running a wire to be sure.

Posts: 868 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lift master/ chaimberlane is the only way to go on gate openers, tried two other cheap brands first. Now all I own are lift master.

Tommy

Posts: 140 | Location: Midland, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
I believe I have a 16' livestock gate. Went to tractor supply and got a mighty mule and a solar panel. Then went to Walmart and got a battery and case.

Installed by myself, might have spent 4 hours, but I wasn't rushing.

A minimum of 4 cycles (open/close) per day in the work week and at least 1 cycle per day on weekends.

No issues in a year of use.

It is a screw drive so it isnt fast, but it works. I honestly haven't timed it, but guessing in the 20 second or less to open range.

Make sure your mechanism is level. Measure twice. Adjust as needed. Since I was by myself, I used zip ties as a spare set of hands to hold things. Found a YouTube video of the install process and watched a few times before attempting. All went well.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an Apollo 1550. Lots of folks around me use the Apollo. I have used a couple of different openers before and none held up. I have a heavy 16 foot ornamental steel gate and in a very windy area. Apollo was bought out by NICE sometime in the last couple of years or so. They offered the 1550 with the NICE/Apollo name up until recently. They now have a new model, the Titan, that appears to take the best features of the old Apollo and adds some new features but it looks like the substantial construction has remained. These are not cheap over $1000 but buy once cry once.

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Mighty Mule from Tractor Supply. Got the solar panel and key pad also. Bought a battery and box from Academy.

It’s installed on a double gate made from welded steel built by my wife’s uncle. It’s fairly heavy. I installed it myself and have had zero issues. Gate does open slowly but that would be the only negative.

It cycles about five times a day. Never had an issue with battery charging even during winter.

GW.

Posts: 642 | Location: Auburn, AL | Registered: August 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter01:
I have an Apollo 1550. Lots of folks around me use the Apollo. I have used a couple of different openers before and none held up. I have a heavy 16 foot ornamental steel gate and in a very windy area. Apollo was bought out by NICE sometime in the last couple of years or so. They offered the 1550 with the NICE/Apollo name up until recently. They now have a new model, the Titan, that appears to take the best features of the old Apollo and adds some new features but it looks like the substantial construction has remained. These are not cheap over $1000 but buy once cry once.

Apollo for the win. 15 years ago when Lance, the guy who had put a lot of fencing in for us was having trouble getting the operator he put in for the orchard deer fence gate to perform up to snuff he called the John, local “gate guy”, (who it turns out really knows his stuff). John scrapped whatever Lance had put in and replaced it with an Apollo. On an 18’ x 7’ deer fence over pipe gate (not heavy, but big) that sees at least a dozen cycles per day on average it has been bomb proof. A few months ago I put just a little oil (robbed from the dipstick on the Tacoma to give you an idea how much) on the bolt attaching the arm to the gate, and around the same time we trimmed back the oak trees that were starting to shade the solar panel. Other than that the only maintenance has been replacing the battery when necessary, typically around five years or so.
The entry gate is a big heavy roller driven by a 240v Customline unit with a Dooking telephone entry system, and It is great for the application. However, for any solar powered swing gate I don’t think I’d bother with anything but an Apollo (or Nice now I guess).

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Well, I do like quality and reliability, but I’m not sure about the pricier models. A neighbor has a Mighty Mule on his gate and it’s been chugging along for the last three years without a hitch. I can live with that kind of reliability and at that price. Thanks for the info guys.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
Well, I do like quality and reliability, but I’m not sure about the pricier models. A neighbor has a Mighty Mule on his gate and it’s been chugging along for the last three years without a hitch. I can live with that kind of reliability and at that price. Thanks for the info guys.

Up until your wife phones you from the end of the 1000 foot driveway during a freezing rainstorm and informs you the gate will not open and wants to know what you are going to do about it. Big Grin

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Up until your wife phones you from the end of the 1000 foot driveway during a freezing rainstorm and informs you the gate will not open and wants to know what you are going to do about it.

In that case, I’d better get some used line pipe, build her an oilfield style bump gate and a full time paint and body man. Smile

Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
I have a linear pro. Xl2000.
Works great on a 12' aluminum.
Gto openers.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter01:
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:

Up until your wife phones you from the end of the 1000 foot driveway during a freezing rainstorm and informs you the gate will not open and wants to know what you are going to do about it. Big Grin

That is why I started out solar but broke down and ran the wire out there. Easier in the long run.

Posts: 868 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post