SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Video: Security guards take down gunman in devil mask at famed Florida strip club
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Video: Security guards take down gunman in devil mask at famed Florida strip club Login/Join 
posted
TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) — A security guard at Mons Venus in Tampa fought off a gunman who tried to enter the gentleman’s club early Sunday morning, police said.

The Tampa Police Department said at about 1:15 a.m., Michael Rudman, 44, tried to force his way into the well-known club while armed with a handgun and a devil mask. He also had the words “kill” and “dark one” written on his arms, police say.

Kevin Fox, wrongly charged in daughter’s 2004 death, dies in crash
“I noticed the devil mask and I was like ‘OK, it’s not Halloween,'” security guard Manuel Anthony “Manny” Resto said.

Resto, who was once a professional wrestler known as “The Puerto Rican Punisher,” spotted Rudman’s gun as he tried to walk in and moved to stop him, knocking the weapon out of his hand.

Surveillance video showed the devil-masked gunman fight with Resto who eventually grabbed the gun himself and pointed it at Rudman.

“I had no intention of shooting; I just wanted to scare him and get him on the ground,” Resto said.

Resto said he was hit several times in the head and almost lost consciousness, but he was determined to make sure Rudman was not a threat.

“I was not gonna let him win,” the guard said. “He was not gonna hurt nobody.”

Rapidly spreading fungus already in 28 states, including Illinois, presents ‘urgent’ threat, CDC warns
However, Rudman kept fighting until other guards came and got him on the ground.

Resto said Rudman kept trying to get back up, but the guards kept him on the ground in case he had more weapons besides the gun.

“He kept coming back up like he was the Undertaker or Michael Myers or something, and it was all quiet, silent, deadly,” the guard said.

Michael Rudman (Mugshot from Tampa Police Department)
Police said the gun fired one round into the club’s front door during the fight. Resto said he wasn’t sure when the gun went off.

“I heard the shot go off, and I was like ‘who burst a lightbulb?'” said Danny Baham, another security guard who assisted in taking Rudman down. “And well I thought, ‘that was a stupid thought. That was a gunshot.'”

Baham said they quickly checked to make sure no one was wounded before continuing to subdue Rudman.

Responding officers found additional ammunition, knives, and firearm accessories inside Rudman’s truck, which was parked at the club, and two full magazines in his pocket, according to the department.

“There is no question that the security guards who disarmed this suspect saved dozens of lives through their heroic acts, and I am thankful that our officers were able to take this individual into custody before he had the chance to carry out whatever he had planned,” said Interim Chief Lee Bercaw. “We will continue to actively and thoroughly investigate this case to get a better understanding of what led up to this thwarted incident.”

Officers said they do not know what Rudman’s motive for entering the club armed was, but they did learn he had visited Mons Venus the night before.

Baham said this is not a typical occurrence and that the club does its best to prevent any type of violence.

“Everyone in that building, that’s our people,” he said. “Customers, entertainers, the staff, that’s our people. We’re there to have a good time and laugh,” Mons Venus, which has been in business since 1981, is also known to viewers of the Netflix true crime documentary “The Girl in the Picture.”

Authorities said Rudman had a risk protection order on him out of Pinellas County at the time of the incident. They also said he had an arrest history including charges of domestic violence, battery, reckless driving, and DUI in Pinellas County.

He now faces charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, battery, aggravated
battery with a deadly weapon, and purchasing, possessing, or receiving a firearm while under a risk protection order.

Officers said they do not know what Rudman’s motive for entering the club armed was, but they did learn he had visited Mons Venus the night before.

Baham said this is not a typical occurrence and that the club does its best to prevent any type of violence.

“Everyone in that building, that’s our people,” he said. “Customers, entertainers, the staff, that’s our people. We’re there to have a good time and laugh,” Mons Venus, which has been in business since 1981, is also known to viewers of the Netflix true crime documentary “The Girl in the Picture.”

Authorities said Rudman had a risk protection order on him out of Pinellas County at the time of the incident. They also said he had an arrest history including charges of domestic violence, battery, reckless driving, and DUI in Pinellas County.

He now faces charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, battery, aggravated
battery with a deadly weapon, and purchasing, possessing, or receiving a firearm while under a risk protection order.

https://wgntv.com/news/nationa...med-florida-strip-cl

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
The devil made him do it.

Posts: 1971 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
That bouncer better get an all expenses paid trip to the Caribbean and a weeks paid vacation out of this.

Job well done!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20825 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Those "gentlemen" inside owe the guard their lives.

Q

Posts: 26404 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
This thread is useless without PICS...

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
go to the link

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
We often talk about self defense & security here. One of the simplest of tenets mentioned is to be mindful of those you associate with. I think this(unknown to me) individual came up short in that department.

Posts: 6168 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Local Tampa News report has the video of what happened.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately the openly crazy ones are easy to spot and stop.

It's the one that walks in in a coat and tie or polo shirt and dockers with a friendly attitude that are hard to identify and stop.

How long does this have to go before someone finally realizes that a robust mental health care system is needed again?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37966 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
How long does this have to go before someone finally realizes that a robust mental health care system is needed again?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sadly a long time. There are not enough trained psychologists and way too many patients. Poor insurance coverage for mental health is another problem. State hospitals were a snake pit{See One flew over the Cuckoos Nest} and all were closed with no plan for followup care. The public mental health system is lacking as well.