SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What would cause low water pressure in just one bathroom?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What would cause low water pressure in just one bathroom? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Water pressure is fine everywhere but the main floor bathroom.

Both the toilet and the sink have very low pressure.

And yes I checked and the kiddos did not partially close the valves.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25667 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Not to be too obvious but it sounds like you have some sort of blockage.

How old is the house?
Do you have a well?
As far as the faucet is concerned there is usually a screen/aerator on the end. You can unscrew it with your hands and blow out (or rinse out) any contaminants in there.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6467 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What type of plumbing do you have? Pex? If Pex is there a manifold with valves and one might be partially shut? Copper? Age of home? Is the pressure low on both hot and cold water?

Could be a split supply hose that's leaking under your slab, causing low pressure and flow to that bathroom. Could be the slab shifted and crimped the supply hose partially shut. Could there be ice in the line? Did you take the faucet screen off and see if it isn't simply blocked with debris?

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
In addition to the above, I'd start with the obvious and verify there wasn't some debris that stopped up both lines. Had some water work done in our neighborhood a couple years ago and somehow got dirt water for a minute and enough gunk that one toilet slowed down.

Taking apart the internal valve and then supply line still slow. Ended up having to remove the shutoff valve, shook out the pebble that was jammed up against it and was back in business.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12668 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Hot and cold supply?

Posts: 7631 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
First check the faucet aerator. This could be plugged with sediment/mineral deposits.
Same deposits could be in the ballcock on the toilet and depending on the style those can be cleaned out as well. Pix would help.
You can always disconnect the supply line going to toilet and see if you have good pressure by putting line in a bucket and turning back on. If you have good pressure there, the ballcock may have junk in it

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1116 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Probably low flow, not low pressure.

There are not usually "riser valves" isolating a single 1st floor bathroom, but that's where I'd start.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
We had an old water heater that was near its end. I guess there was a thermostat or something inside that had a fiber sort of sleeve on it. It broke up over time, creating slowdowns with small pieces collecting at the valve of a fixture.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8542 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
16 year old house
4 year old water heater
Copper pipes

————————————————

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
16 year old house
4 year old water heater
Copper pipes

Is there a shower in your main floor bathroom? How's that flowing?

Posts: 195 | Location: Smithfield, Utah | Registered: April 29, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had an old house with this problem. Turns out the electric was grounded to the iron pipes supplying water, and the slight charge in the lines caused minerals in the water to "electroplate" the inside of the pipes. When I pulled an 1 1/2 inch pipe supplying that bathroom, you couldn't see daylight, looking down the end. I do hope your problem is easier, and cheaper, to resolve.

Posts: 17253 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
Is your house on a slab or basement? Is the bathroom in question on the first or second floor? A buddy of mine owns apartments, all single story ranch on a slab. He found out all 12 bathrooms needs the plumbing replaced due to pin holes in the water supply lines coming up out of the slab. The pipes were rubbing on the concrete just due to expansion/contraction. Granted they are 1970's construction, but if they were done right, should not be leaking.

Have you noticed any water leaks? Obvious question I know.

If you have access to a thermal camera I'd run the water full bore and see if anything shows up.

Another thought, try replacing one of the faucets. With the newer ones, if the mixing valve begins to fail it can dramatically cut your water flow. This happened to use a few years ago in an upstairs shower. We replaced it and end of problem.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3648 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Has a basement.
Dishwasher and kitchen sink on the same level no issues there. I issues in the basement or upstairs.
No signs of leaking anywhere.

————————————————

Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I would check the sink faucet aerator. They can clog easy. Toilet can also clog but sometimes will clog with a slow continuous flow into the tank.

Any recent plumbing work down done upstream of this bathroom?

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16449 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Li6fof2uVc
[lugged aireator

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55173 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Li6fof2uVc
[lugged aireator

Perfect timing.
I went to take off the Aerator and sure enough a Delta with a hidden one like that. Was not sure if it was a snap or twist in.
Guess i’ll See if I can twist it out with a pick.

————————————————

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Well that thing is all sorts of calcified to the faucet (likely have found the pressure issue).
Can’t get it to budge. It’s Christmas Eve and don’t feel like rolling with it today.
I’ll pick up some CLR and soak it to see if I can get it out.

————————————————

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I was thinking the aerator too, but are you certain the toilet is having an issue? I suppose minerals could be causing problems for both but that’s certainly a strange coincidence if so.

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
I was thinking the aerator too, but are you certain the toilet is having an issue? I suppose minerals could be causing problems for both but that’s certainly a strange coincidence if so.

Yup. The toilet sputters and take a long while to fill.

————————————————

Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:

Yup. The toilet sputters and take a long while to fill.

Could be calcium buildup on the commode shutoff valve or the fill mechanism itself.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7273 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post