SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    BMW M2 Competition -- Oh dear...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BMW M2 Competition -- Oh dear... Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted
This is going to be a tough one for me to hide from. By all accounts I've come across, this is the best "drivers-car" M ever. Surely one of my kids will opt for a trade school, or take some other path rather than a University.... right?

I mean, I'm just so used to seeing the modern stuff having something wrong. Only available in an automatic, for instance. And then, I'm like, free to not desire it. But this. This seems truly something special. And at a price that while not cheap, is vaguely imaginable to be possible -- like in the range of what many in my area pay for Giagantor-Deisel-pickups.

Anyway, I'm day dreaming of it. I know many will say that Euro cars are expensive to maintain. That's not really been my experience. I've always bought used order variants a generation behind current. Or in the case of my current 1998 E430, several generations behind. Obviously an M car won't be the cheapest to operate. But it'd be a summer fun car.

I had been tossing around the idea of a new Miata for quite a while. All I do is work for the most part, so driving is (aside from the gym) the only fun thing I do. And this seems more amazing, and yet more practice (four seats). "Practical".... wow. My Internal-justification-engine is running full throttle!

Posts: 11395 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Get ready to spend some dolladollabillz.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
That's a beautiful car, love the two door version. You only live once. That was my justification to buy a C7Z06.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
this is the best "drivers-car" M ever....Only available in an automatic,

Roll Eyes

Go get a Porsche Cayman/718.

Posts: 2327 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I leased an m235 for 3 years and it was both flawless and amazing to drive. Not enough superlatives to describe how much I enjoyed driving that car every day. But I needed an adult sized back seat so I moved on. Go for it. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

Posts: 830 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:
quote:

Roll Eyes

Cause we all know how “practical” they are. I tried to drive a late model boater the other day and my size 13 feet barely fit peddle compartment.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
Cause we all know how “practical” they are. I tried to drive a late model boater the other day and my size 13 feet barely fit peddle compartment.

I quoted the "best 'drivers-car'" section, and highlighted the lack of a manual transmission. A sports car, or sporty car, will almost never be practical. If you want practicality, there are dozens of models available.

If you want a "best driver's car", then a front engine sedan with an automatic transmission isn't exactly hitting the spot, when for the same price you can get a very good, mid-engined, manual transmission "driver's car".

Posts: 2327 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That’s a great car. In my opinion the M2 is one of the most exciting vehicles to come from BMW in a while. To me it carries on the spirit of the first M3 better than the current bloated thing wearing M3 badges. It’s the platform Toyota SHOULD HAVE USED for their “Supra”.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21122 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:

I quoted the "best 'drivers-car'" section, and highlighted the lack of a manual transmission. A sports car, or sporty car, will almost never be practical. If you want practicality, there are dozens of models available.

If you want a "best driver's car", then a front engine sedan with an automatic transmission isn't exactly hitting the spot, when for the same price you can get a very good, mid-engined, manual transmission "driver's car".

For clarity, the M2 Comp is absolutely available with a manual.

Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ah, that changes things quite a bit! In that case, I retract what I stated above. If this is more of spiritual successor to the classic M3, then it should be a fantastic vehicle.

Keep us updated, OP!

Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Love Doug's reviews! Drove an M5 in Germany, German specs, no limiter. Amazing how quickly you can get between places driving 120... Go for it!

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Ah, that changes things quite a bit! In that case, I retract what I stated above. If this is more of spiritual successor to the classic M3, then it should be a fantastic vehicle.

Keep us updated, OP!

Not at al trying to bash the Porsche, as I love it. The M2 MSRP is much cheaper than the Caymen and is being hailed as performing as well. I cut to the comparison in this link for brevity, but this guys full review is really nice if you've time.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
Love Doug's reviews! Drove an M5 in Germany, German specs, no limiter. Amazing how quickly you can get between places driving 120... Go for it!

It'd be costly, but I'm even toying with leasing it ONLY because I want to not worry about it like it's some sort of heirloom. It'd be cool to not put it away in the winter, but rather drive it in the salt and filth, and in three years, just trade it back. But the fear is, what have they got in three years. Some hybrid probably. Imagine that? And with an auto, right? Almost for sure.

Back in Black
posted Hide Post
I drove the M2, M3, and M4 at the M performance driving school and owned a current generation M3 for a while. The M2 Comp fixes one of the biggest problems, being under powered compared to the other two. The other issue is the weight. It weighs almost as much as the M3/4 despite being a good deal smaller. It is a fun car to toss around, but is too much of a compromise for my needs. I would rather have the practicality of a sedan since I have two children or go completely the other way and double down on the sport side with a Corvette or Porsche and supplement it with a daily driver. For a one car, no kids solution though, I could see the M2 being perfect.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:

It'd be costly, but I'm even toying with leasing it ONLY because I want to not worry about it like it's some sort of heirloom. It'd be cool to not put it away in the winter, but rather drive it in the salt and filth, and in three years, just trade it back. But the fear is, what have they got in three years. Some hybrid probably. Imagine that? And with an auto, right? Almost for sure.

Also, not sure if you have gotten some numbers, but the M2 leases horribly. Better to buy that one for sure.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Roll Eyes

I've got to agree. Although you can get the M2 in a manual transmission, I'd still take the Porsche. I love mid engines especially in adverse driving conditions like rain, slush, and snow. None of my Porsche's have ever been garage queens. They get driven all year and they do very well with the correct tires. That is my opinion, not a slam on BMW. R0gue, if the M2 is in your budget, go for it. You only live once.

Posts: 7562 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
An M2 would be fun. I rented an M3 for a day and ran it up to 158mph on the autobahn in September, that was fun!

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1893 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
I drove an M2 about a year ago. i liked it, but they then announced the Comp, I was going to wait. But ended up with a CPO M5 for the same money, back seat I can use, ocean of power.

*because of my up bringing, I have an aversion to coupes.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4621 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd love to get one of the BMW M cars but one thing I can't get past is the lack of seat ventilation in a car that costs nearly a 100K. How can they not include that in every car at that price point? Is it even available. I've been shopping this type of car for a couple of years now and haven't found a single BMW with cooled seats.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
I've got cooled seats.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4621 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post