SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Resignation of Oklahoma Receivers Coach, Cale Gundy. The United States of America in the 21st Century
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Resignation of Oklahoma Receivers Coach, Cale Gundy. The United States of America in the 21st Century Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
A friend of mine is a high school principal. He caught some heat a few years ago for something similar. He was speaking with a student regarding an online squabble where both parties used racial slurs.

Part of the required protocol was that the student was read what was said so that they could admit or deny what was said. The principal read the exchange, verbatim, which “offended” the student. News agencies were involved. I believe the policy on reading the material aloud has since been changed.

Same situation with a school principal in San Francisco. Called an assembly, spoke to teh study body about the use of offensive words, insults and slurs to include the magic N-word. Predictably, even though she was pointing out why the word was bad, parents and administrators called for her resignation.

Posts: 14687 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I don't understand, how a word that is so offensive that it cannot be uttered, nay even thought by most.

Yet one race uses it profusely, humorously, as a noun, verb, adjective, it abounds in lyrics and videos.

This is the definition of double standard and is glaring here. The writer is fine and goes on with life, the readers career ended.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37993 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Orwell wrote about this crap … seems like most Americans didn’t read his works. Or Ayn Rand, or and and and … so hard to watch people abide this totalitarianism take over via cultural revolution.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Originally posted by spunk639:
I’d have more respect for him if he held his ground, what’s the difference he resigns under a cloud, fight for your principles, if the fire you, you didn’t sell out your values.

$50K, $100K, $500K? most likely they required he stand in stocks at the city center and read aloud his transgressions and pledge his fealty...

Point being, yeah standing up for oneself over this sounds good, but reality is he was outed, either by the player(s), other coaches and then publicly shamed for it.

Shouldn't we choose not to disparage the man for being publicly exposed by the university and the players and stand against the Wokelahoma University for tossing him to the wolves.

If he’s not going to fight for himself, defend himself, defend his own actions, own it and fight it, why would “we” fight the wokeness. If he won’t stand up for himself say and say “No I didn’t use the word to inflict a racial epithet on a player, but read aloud what they were writing each other and distracting the team and other players,” why should anybody defend him?

Posts: 2780 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Anyone remember the high school football coach from Washington state, fight seven years until he got to the Supreme Court and won, for just taking a knee on the field?

Didn’t we just get the ruling less than 60 days ago?

Freedom of speech is in the same damn amendment if I recall correctly.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
I don't understand, how a word that is so offensive that it cannot be uttered, nay even thought by most.

Yet one race uses it profusely, humorously, as a noun, verb, adjective, it abounds in lyrics and videos.

This is the definition of double standard and is glaring here. The writer is fine and goes on with life, the readers career ended.

that is the total hypocrisy of it... I'm assuming this coach is white if he had been black there would have been nothing said about it.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Well, my brother knows someone who’s a real college football insider, having worked in the programs at Nebraska, Kansas, and Texas A&M. He has gone out for beers with Gundy on several occasions. This guy says there is no way Gundy was run off just for reading the words on a player’s iPad. There has to be more to the story. Yellowjacket rightly points out that Venables and Gundy knew each from Venables’ previous tenure at Oklahoma, and that Gundy could have been easily let go when he came in as HC. Something’s fishy

Posts: 13300 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post