SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Resignation of Oklahoma Receivers Coach, Cale Gundy. The United States of America in the 21st Century
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Resignation of Oklahoma Receivers Coach, Cale Gundy. The United States of America in the 21st Century Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
quote:
Gundy apologized in his post and explained why he resigned. He said he noticed a player was distracted while he was supposed to be taking notes, so he picked up the athlete’s iPad and read the words on the screen aloud. He acknowledged that he said a word that he "should never — under any circumstance — have uttered," and said he was "horrified" when he realized what he had done.

"What I said was not malicious; it wasn’t even intentional," Gundy said. "Still, I am mature enough to know that the word I said was shameful and hurtful, no matter what my intentions."

This is the state of our country. A man who played at Oklahoma and then coached there since 1999 is out because he picked up the iPad of a distracted player in a team meeting and inadvertently, in reading the player’s iPad, read aloud what I assume was the “N-word.” Unbelievable.

Gundy Resignation

Posts: 13300 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Still, I am mature enough to know that the word I said was shameful and hurtful, no matter what my intentions."

No, man, you are an immature coward. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26464 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
No, man, you are an immature coward.

Most likely he was told to resign or be fired by the Wokelahoma University Athletic Department

Posts: 23560 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:

Most likely he was told to resign or be fired by the Wokelahoma University Athletic Department

Likely true.

Joe Mixon (former Oklahoma player) defends Gundy

Statement from Joe Mixon

Posts: 13300 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Miss the days of Bo and Woody. College football is quickly becoming a thing of the past. Once you go down that road. There is no turning around. A once great entity destroyed. Too bad.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19226 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I think the point Q is making - is that folks need to stop apologizing for being normal/traditional. Worked just fine for many millennia.

We don’t need to change in the way wokinati dictate. Resist with all your might.

The good news is that in my experience when the door closes another one opens and you are almost always better off. Even if you can’t see it in the moment.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just blacks talking to each other coach. Come on you should be WOKE enough to know blacks can’t be racists. So coach you did nothing wrong, you’re just not woke enough, yet. I bet ya got another job already.

Say, maybe that player should quit also, he wrote the dreaded N word. Fucking joke!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He was horrified when he realized what he had done? Yeah, I bet he was. He committed an act worse than cold blooded murder and he knew what was coming.
What about the player that typed the word that is the unforgivable sin? Was he expelled or did it all fall on the coach?

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3545 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine is a high school principal. He caught some heat a few years ago for something similar. He was speaking with a student regarding an online squabble where both parties used racial slurs.

Part of the required protocol was that the student was read what was said so that they could admit or deny what was said. The principal read the exchange, verbatim, which “offended” the student. News agencies were involved. I believe the policy on reading the material aloud has since been changed.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15727 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
I’d have more respect for him if he held his ground, what’s the difference he resigns under a cloud, fight for your principles, if the fire you, you didn’t sell out your values.

Posts: 2780 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:

Likely true.

Joe Mixon (former Oklahoma player) defends Gundy

Statement from Joe Mixon

That was a very well written and powerful statement from Joe, who definitely didn’t have to do that.

I don’t follow college football and don’t know anything about Gundy but I hope he lands somewhere.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15259 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kg5388
posted Hide Post
I would imagine it was resign and get the rest of the money from your contract or fight and be fined and then fired and loose the money for the rest of your contract.

Posts: 1847 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
The player has no ramifications for writing an offensive word on his ipad (likely team or university issued) while he was screwing off and not taking notes, but the coach who read it was in so much trouble he had to resign.

What is racism again?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37996 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spunk639:
I’d have more respect for him if he held his ground, what’s the difference he resigns under a cloud, fight for your principles, if the fire you, you didn’t sell out your values.

$50K, $100K, $500K? most likely they required he stand in stocks at the city center and read aloud his transgressions and pledge his fealty...

Point being, yeah standing up for oneself over this sounds good, but reality is he was outed, either by the player(s), other coaches and then publicly shamed for it.

Shouldn't we choose not to disparage the man for being publicly exposed by the university and the players and stand against the Wokelahoma University for tossing him to the wolves.

Posts: 23560 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
His resignation was definitely ghost written by a DIE administrator.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2389 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
I think the point Q is making - is that folks need to stop apologizing for being normal/traditional. Worked just fine for many millennia.

We don’t need to change in the way wokinati dictate. Resist with all your might...

Yup.

Q

Posts: 26464 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
And say my glory was
I had such friends.
Picture of Hunthelp
posted Hide Post
Gunny’s brother (head coach at Oklahoma State) was shaken down to the tune of $1 million for wearing the wrong apparel.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Hunthelp,

"I don't shoot well, but I shoot often." - Pres. T. Roosevelt

Posts: 1941 | Location: Chandler, AZ | Registered: June 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
OU got a new head football coach, Brent Venables, first game coming soon. The new head coach Venables was at OU previously as an assistant, went somewhere else, and came back this year as head coach. He and Gundy are not strangers to each other, they were both assistants at the same time.

I'll just about bet they didn't get along before, and this may be a revenge and house cleaning thing.

Posts: 11860 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
If you never fight the aburdness of Cancel Culture then you will be forever defeated.

Posts: 22940 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
OU got a new head football coach, Brent Venables, first game coming soon. The new head coach Venables was at OU previously as an assistant, went somewhere else, and came back this year as head coach. He and Gundy are not strangers to each other, they were both assistants at the same time.

I'll just about bet they didn't get along before, and this may be a revenge and house cleaning thing.

Venables could have cleaned house when he came in but decided not to, and kept Gundy on staff. Why wait and do it now... makes no sense and is complete conjecture.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10494 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post