SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who should be able to vote?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who should be able to vote? Login/Join 
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
21 year old, living US citizens who show a photo ID.

On a side note, why can’t we get the voting thing right?

I’ve got an idea, almost everyone pays their taxes online, why can’t we figure out a system like that. You put in your SSN, it populates the candidates in your district. You vote and confirm who you cast your ballot for. It gets transmitted, just like taxes do and then your ssn can’t be used again till the next election cycle. That way only citizens are voting and only once. And to offset the “poor people don’t have computers” argument. Set up in libraries or schools on Election Day.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
US citizen, 18+ y.o., no felonies. Vote in person with photo ID, excepting military personnel deployed/stationed overseas.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Like Mike
Picture of CEShooter
posted Hide Post
US citizen, 18 years and older, You must show a photo ID in person and there would be some narrow allowances for absentee voting that I haven’t figured out yet. I’ve traveled a lot for work and can’t accept that there isn’t some reliable way to vote that doesn’t involve everyone being back in their home town on a single day. I could be talked into a week of sealed ballot voting that is done in person but the devil is always in the details with that.

---------------
"Structural engineering is the art of moulding materials we don't understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot really access, in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." Dr. A. R. Dykes

Posts: 2229 | Location: 500 Miles from the homeland | Registered: February 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Property owners who are citizens of this country and no one else.

With valid Photo ID in person, or absentee ballot with in person request for each election after showing valid photo ID.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of btgoanna
posted Hide Post
I would add the requirement to pass a civics test to some of the above

Posts: 832 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: November 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Start With Only:
Living people...
US citizens...
Tax payers...
People who can prove who they are...

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
No one on government assistance should be allowed to vote. They will always vote for more aid while the rest of us work our asses off.
How do you define "government assistance"? My income is primarily a military pension and Social Security, both of which I earned by prior actions.

I do think that only residents of a state should cast votes within that state, and that residency should not be valid until some reasonable length of time has passed--6 months seems reasonable to me. US citizens who have moved within that time frame should apply for and use Absentee ballots from their prior residence, and such should be a one-time activity, following which they should be removed from the rolls of the losing state.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
A military pension and social security isn’t government assistance. I think he’s referring to welfare and the like.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't own property.

When I was a kid, dirt poor, my mother worked two jobs, sometimes three, with a broken back. We lived in abandoned property, and we still took help anywhere we could, including welfare.

Someone tells me I can't vote, fuck them. I'll defend it not with my life, but at the cost of theirs. It's not a fucking privilege. It's my fucking right. Come and fucking get it.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Of legal age (18+), without felony convictions, with ID.

I'm good with this. I don't understand why anyone with a felony conviction would be allowed to vote.

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1. US Citizen and prove it via enhanced voter ID at pole provided by government.
2. Vote via website, even at poles, using unique # on ID and your SSN as second verification, also cannot owe a substantial amount of past taxes.
3. You can at any time login and see your previous votes, and with a mouse click challenge one if its fraud and vote anywhere online.
4. Online voting opens at 8am the day of voting, all voting closes at 8pm local time, with no ballots of any kind being received after 8pm, votes will be counted no later than midnight.
5. Absentee ballots require proof of need, as online voting would be available.

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oregon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Of legal age (18+), without felony convictions, with ID. Who's to say, beyond those basic requirements, who is or is not "worthy?"
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
Property owners.

Leaving renters out? Not everybody can or wants to own their home.

Property owners have skin in the game. They have proven they’re responsible. That’s why the Founders said only they could vote.

Good luck with that. Big Grin

"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"
-Dr. Thaddeus Venture

Posts: 6086 | Location: PDX | Registered: May 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
What about people who can afford to own homes in different states. Example, Main in the summer, Florida in the winter. Do they get to vote twice?

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm good with this. I don't understand why anyone with a felony conviction would be allowed to vote.

That undoubtedly seems quite reasonable to most law-abiding citizens, probably largely because they can't envision themselves ever committing a felony.

Reading Three Felonies a Day: How the Feds Target the Innocent by Harvey Silverglate may result in reconsidering that position.

Posts: 7314 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Taxpayers. You need to show your 1040 from the prior year in order to vote. A W-2 or 1099 works too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16094 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Net tax payers. If you’re too incompetent to be off the dole, you’re too incompetent to participate in management decisions.

Doesn’t mean you don’t have every other right, but voting is management.

Posts: 5739 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Property owners who are citizens of this country and no one else.

I agree that voting should be by citizens only. But why punish those who are not "property" owners! How many non-property simply choose not to own property, or cannot afford to buy it?

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
My dogs think they should

Posts: 4701 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I'll say citizen property owners and US Military members.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6487 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you should have to perform some form of public service. I don't just mean the military as there are plenty who don't for plenty of very legit reasons but you should have had to serve in some form before being able to vote and before being able to run for office.

Property owners sounds good at first but if we just go off of property owners there are plenty of good people who live in a condo or something due to where they live.

If we go off of taxes that is a bit closer perhaps but we also get 16 year old working at MickeyDs voting.

No matter what I think everyone can agree we need a serious reform of the voting process and public offices from top to bottom.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post