SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    showdown at Walmart
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

showdown at Walmart Login/Join 
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted
Last week I was on extended hunt-and-search mission for my Sweet Bride. The huge SuperCenter, which to this day I have only minimally explored, had entire wings & aisles I've never visited. And at the very edges of my explorations, was some kind of intermittent beep-beep-beep thingie that seemed to keep moving regardless of whether humans were near or not. I could never confirm where the noise originated.

There was a flashing yellow light attached, but I paid little attention to it. The noise seemed to come & go, closer & farther away as I moved about the compound. Focus on my mission of discovery kept me occupied. I left having achieved my primary assignment.

Yesterday I returned to WallyWorld, a different subsection of their complex. Again, a distant yet closer beep-beep-beep and flashing light.

Perhaps over-focusing on my mission, I ignored my immediate surroundings. Finally satisfied with the precise insertion & execution of my orders, the path to closest exit was in sight.

More beeping, closer, imminent, demanding. I turned to face the aggressor.

It was a machine resembling the mating of a zamboni and a roomba, on a self-selected course to clean all the walkways of the hive. In the place of 'driver' was an odd festive decoration resembling a blend of Mr. Potatohead features imposed on a moderate size stuffed teddy-bear type animal.

It neither paused nor hesitated, and was gone before further observation could be made. The flashing light continued and the beeping continued about every 5 or 10 seconds. Our Silicon Life form buddies are growing bolder.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
IMO the device is a preliminary screener for the intergalactic transporter.
Set your phaser on stun and let the time slide roll.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will get by
Picture of Rustyblade
posted Hide Post
Like when the Deficraps came out from 2-faced talking to plainly telling the Americans the evil they have planned for us, robotic envoys masquerading as useful tools for humans are now operating out in the open. Indeed, they will even holler at you when impeded.

Do not necessarily attribute someone's nasty or inappropriate actions as intended when it may be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Posts: 1291 | Location: Delray Beach | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
It was a machine resembling the mating of a zamboni and a roomba, on a self-selected course to clean all the walkways of the hive. In the place of 'driver' was an odd festive decoration resembling a blend of Mr. Potatohead features imposed on a moderate size stuffed teddy-bear type animal.

That sounds.....terrifying.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Exterminate . . . exterminate . . .

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
Early form of the Daleks.

Posts: 3239 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, a good chance exists that you have been probed.

Posts: 1971 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
a good chance exists that you have been probed.

well that right there would 'splain a number of mysterious questions....episodic need for PrepH, the sound of electronics in my middle ear, the odd recurring pucker in my new Speedos....

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
quote:
a good chance exists that you have been probed.

well that right there would 'splain a number of mysterious questions....episodic need for PrepH, the sound of electronics in my middle ear, the odd recurring pucker in my new Speedos....

Haha...hopefully only the data gathering module was inserted...the behavior modification module is much more problematic.

Posts: 1971 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
There is another thread about such a device.
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/9710018674

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
Love your description. Smile

Posts: 1827 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hate and despise Walmart, especially the local. I would have likely gotten better service from the bot than the punk I dealt with Sunday. I actually told him to grease his cell phone, because the next customer he ignored was likely to.....well, you know.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Fredward,

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
The food chain. Wally World doesn't hire from the top of it.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post