SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What A19 60w equivilent LED bulbs have you found best?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What A19 60w equivilent LED bulbs have you found best? Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
Have all but run out of the old school incandescent bulbs and have started looking at LED replacements (non-dimmable 2700-300K). Holy cow its overwhelming. Figured I'd ask here about what folks have found favor with.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16509 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CREEs were the gold standard early on but then they had a batch or more that had issues of burning out very quickly. In all honesty, I converted my house to all LED around January 2014. I have some Utilitech, Sylvania's, and CREE, and have only 1 burn out, out of all of them and it was a CREE. They're all about the same.....I've had good luck with the $1.xx Utilitechs from lowe's or Sylvannia's I got for $1.50 each at BJ's......I went with 2700K color, which is the same as a regular A19 lightbulb.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I tried a few different ones and now I used the CREEs exclusively.

I have 60w, 75w, 100w, and 3-way 50-100-150w equivalents throughout the house.
I use the "daylight" style for outside and in the garage and the softer light for inside living areas.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3899 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been buying the sylvania Ultra (in warm white) when they're on sale - Almost the whole house is converted over. After it is I'll probably be replacing fixtures before bulbs again. Haven't seen a real change in power consumption though, but it's tough to judge that month to month. I'll have to do that when I've been here longer and compare year to year.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1766 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
The Cree LEDs don't last long at all for me - I won't buy them any longer.
I've had much better luck with Philips LEDs.

There must be a thousand different brands on the market, and I would bet they're all made by only a couple Chinese companies.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16631 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I have had bad luck with GE floods and standard looking bulbs.

Though most of my lamps have been swapped to GE LED light sticks and they are going 3 years strong.

Power company gave me some TCPs a little over a year ago and they are still rolling.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25665 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I believe Phillips were what we've primarily used. Tried an off brand (EarthSmart or something like that) & hated the color 'temp' of them.

Recently picked up some 'Edison bulb' style LEDs in red to 'Halloween' the front porch. Decent brightness so far.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15970 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been buying Great Eagle from Amazon and have been happy. Probably only have about 1 year on the oldest. No failures so far. I have about 30 interior br30 100 watt equivalent floods plus a number of a19s. The floods do make a little noise/creaking as the plastic heats up and cools off but no failures yet. no issue with the a19s. Check out amazon reviews. Their floods seem to mimick the look of traditional incandescents that best of the brands i have tried.

Posts: 512 | Location: Pearland, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Tried some off Amazon but for where I wanted to put them the high bases didn't do right. Might try rough service incandescent ones. They should still be available.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5671 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I use Cree, Philips, or FEIT. Can't complain about any of them.

Be SURE to read the fine print on the package as some have longer life than others, can work at colder temperatures, and can work in an enclosed fixture. I bought some cheap ones from HD a while back and one burnt out in a day in an enclosed fixture which I found out was not supported after reading the fine print. It can get cold here in the winter so I look for LED bulbs that can start at -13F as many won't work sub zero. I use FEIT flood LED in my outside security lights and so far so good. Amazing how bright a LED flood that uses 13 watts can be.

Posts: 9824 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasonEuc
posted Hide Post
GE soft white, bought at Sam's Club in a 4 pack are really good for normal indoor use. Dimmable, too.

Posts: 1313 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Phillips here, the 4 bulb value pack soft white, from Amazon. IIRC, I bought a case of 4 packs (16 bulbs) at some savings. But I have done no comparisons, just went with and stuck with Phillips.

Posts: 10874 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
About 3 years ago I put 20 or so CREE LED bulbs in my house. Since then I have had 4 or 5 go bad.

I've replaced those with Phillps and have had zero issues.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4575 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Smile Interesting food for thought although Philips certainly seems to have the most recommendations.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16509 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Converted about 70% of the household lights about 3 years ago. Mostly tcps. I think we had one fail so far.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also, don't forget to check whether your local electric utility offers subsidized LED bulbs at a fraction of the cost of retail. Our local energy supplier in Cincinnati (Duke) offers deeply discounted LED bulbs of all shapes and sizes; just check their webiste. I maxed out on the amount of each type of bulb you could buy.

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TAllen01:
Also, don't forget to check whether your local electric utility offers subsidized LED bulbs at a fraction of the cost of retail.

Out here in flyover country we have electric utility coops. Only program they have is for water heaters. We're on our own for bulbs.

That said I appreciate your post as it may very well help out some other member.

quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
Be SURE to read the fine print on the package as some have longer life than others, can work at colder temperatures, and can work in an enclosed fixture.

Same for the advice here. Much appreciated!

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I use the WalMart 60 watts that run about $2.17. I picked up a 75 watt today that was $3.24. I have been using the WalMart Great Value for about a year and have had no failures.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gre...ite-1-count/40507614

Posts: 11881 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
A few years back I bought a lot of Cree bulbs. 40 to 50 of them. Every single one has failed since, as have a few of the replacements.

The Phillips bulbs I have purchased have been trouble free. I also just recently purchased some 150 watt equivalent (not 3 ways) from XMPrimo. Never heard of them before, but they were one of the few options available. They have been trouble free thus far.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15846 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have converted my interior lighting to all LED.
I watch for sales and have a mix of Phillips, Sylvania and FEIT.
Good results so far.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16375 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post