SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Explosion rips through Russian lab housing smallpox, Ebola and plague
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Explosion rips through Russian lab housing smallpox, Ebola and plague Login/Join 
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted
A massive gas explosion has sparked a fire at a Russian lab that houses viruses ranging from smallpox to Ebola, authorities have said.

The State Research Centre of Virology and Biotechnology has said a cylinder exploded in lab which is one of two places in the world that houses the smallpox disease which has been eradicated in the world.

Other highly lethal diseases that are stored there include Anthrax and Ebola.

Located in Koltsovo, in the Novosibirsk region of Siberia, the site is thought to be where biological weapons have been made.

A massive gas explosion has sparked a fire at a Russian lab that houses viruses ranging from smallpox to Ebola

A cylinder exploded in lab which is one of two places in the world that houses the smallpox disease

Firefighter and rescue teams responded to the explosion before it was realised what the possible implications could be.

Russian media have reported that the “the situation was quickly upgraded from an ordinary emergency to a major incident”.

Well, this isn't good news

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6142 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
which is one of two places in the world that houses the smallpox disease

Ah ha. Roll Eyes

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17281 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Oopsie!

Posts: 26922 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Russia- the assclown of the world

Posts: 107651 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Angus the Kid:
A massive gas explosion has sparked a fire at a Russian lab that houses viruses ranging from smallpox to Ebola, authorities have said.

The State Research Centre of Virology and Biotechnology has said a cylinder exploded in lab which is one of two places in the world that houses the smallpox disease which has had been eradicated in the world.

^^^^^ Fixed it.

A lot of explosions in Russia lately.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I just watched the latest Mission Impossible movie last night so I'll refrain from any speculation. Wink

Posts: 10850 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Yeah, um, they got's themselves 'splodin' submarines, 'splodin' Hinds, 'splodin' labs, 'n' stuff.

Home Boy will never go back to Russia again, at least not as every thing be 'splodin', and whatnot. Last time Home Boy was there, they be gassin' theaters, and stuff. Homes don't want none of that all up in his grill, dawg.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Smallpox is fairly fragile in its natural form; it usually dies within 24 hours outside of a host. I’m not sure if it is possible to engineer it to be hardier or not. Ebola is even more fragile.

Anthrax can survive in the environment for a fairly long time, but even intentional attacks with it have poor results.

An explosion in Russia doesn’t really make me nervous.

“A cylinder exploded in lab which is one of two places in the world that houses the smallpox disease”.

Guess where the other is?

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15601 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Sure is a lot of shit blowing up in Russia lately.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Too much Vodka passed around?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
All bad disease burn in fire. No worry <cough>
- Russian Lab Spokesperson

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37986 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
The State Research Centre of Virology and Biotechnology: " Our business is Life itself."

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15903 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
I really don't think we need to worry about climate change killing off the human race. More aptly, we're likely to handle that all by ourselves.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bigdeal,

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
A really hot fire following the explosion would be reassuring

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
aannnd, they are towing a nuclear reactor on a barge to northern Siberia. THAT won't end well!!

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Hey, Chernobyl turned out OK....right? Right? Assclown deluxe. Big floppy clown shoes.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
<snip>

“A cylinder exploded in lab which is one of two places in the world that houses the smallpox disease”.

Atlanta?

Posts: 10974 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:

USAMRIID ?

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10788 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
And the hits just keep on comin'. Is there a whole suite of accelerated development programs going on over there or something? Or just an overidealization of a glorious Soviet past? Or maybe a spike in the supply of bad moonshine born of Putin's campaign to make vodka harder to come by? Something is giving those guys that bad case of clown shoes.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Is there a whole suite of accelerated development programs going on over there or something?
No, they're just a bunch of drunken assclowns.