SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    To keep or not to keep - my truck
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

To keep or not to keep - my truck Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
2008 LX750. It's pretty capable machine. We had intended to use it's capabilities. Off-road, or at least off pavement. Kayak on lakes only accessible with 4WD. Drive / park on beaches lakeside (or ocean side). Visit snow country more often.

In the 3 or so years of ownership, we've gone to Moab once. We've used it on the beach once. We have used it numerous times to go kayaking but no place a smaller vehicle probably couldn't handle (subaru, Rav4, Highlander).

It's rugged. It's pretty capable. It's comfortable with several nice amenities. But it's probably overkill for how we're actually using it.

I'm wondering if I should sell it and get something smaller. I feel like I'm saving it for trips we will never take. Moab was fun but it was tedious and tiresome to drive there and back.

On one hand - it's in great shape, very capable and hate to sell it. On the other, it's expensive to own and maintain and I could probably buy something that's sufficiently capable, have money left over and be cheaper to maintain and operate.

Decisions, decisions....

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12734 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
What color is it?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30702 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Maybe 'downgrade' to a GX? Or to a higher trim 4Runner?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15347 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
It's a depreciating asset. If it doesn't suit your needs, what's the point of owning something that is less valuable every day you own it? What utility or benefit are you deriving from it? Get rid of it and move on.

If you ever want to get another, it will always be cheaper tomorrow than it was yesterday.

Posts: 13050 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Keep it if you don't fall out of the truck's bed. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16236 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
2008 LX750. It's pretty capable machine. We had intended to use it's capabilities. Off-road, or at least off pavement. Kayak on lakes only accessible with 4WD. Drive / park on beaches lakeside (or ocean side). Visit snow country more often.

It is a capable machine. But does it meet your needs?
I remember when you bought it... because I bought a 4Runner of the same year around the same time. I'm on my third 4Runner since, all 2008 models.
I still like the 4Runner of that era and don't find it expensive to maintain. But I think yours is a V8 and my experience is with the 4.0 V6.
If it no longer suits your needs... sell it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chellim1,

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24141 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
The devil you know is better than the devil you don't. If it's working for you, I wouldn't mess with it. If the goal is to save money...rarely do you come out ahead trying to sell one vehicle for another, especially when you're talking 12 y/o vehicles. Even if you only pay a few thousand on top of what you get for the '08, you can buy a LOT of gas for that. And you never know what mechanical problems/upgrades you're going to be out of pocket for when you buy a used vehicle. Not to mention the tax, plates, etc. that you have to shell out for when you purchase a car.

Now, if you're wanting to move it because you're tired of it, having major mechanical issues with it, or simply want something else, that's a whole different story. But unless it's an absolute mechanical nightmare right now, I highly doubt you're going to save significant dollars by trading it for something else.

Posts: 8594 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
quote:
2008 LX750

Being a 12 year old gas hog, I'd get rid of it. I ditched a Sequoia after two years of 14 mpg on the highway. (Assuming we are talking a Lexus LS570 rather than 750)

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I too remember when you bought it and the drama about whether or not you liked it.
Guessing you are just wanting to move to something different which is fine.
Most of the time you lose $ when you sell after figuring the expense's of owning it.
And the new one will cost more.
But if you are not happy with it. That is that.
There is always something else better to serve you needs Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19199 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
What have your costs been to maintain it?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25431 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Keep it if you don't fall out of the truck's bed. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
It's not that it doesn't meet my needs. It does more than I need it to do. I thought we would use its capabilities more than we are. My reservation is in how much it costs (gas is a big thing - premium at about 13mpg avg; 16-18mpg on the highway). Haven't done much to it - just maintenance per mileage as expected (oil changes; changed the rotors/pads in all four corners; changed all four tires; changed the rear height adjusting shocks; transmission fluid change). It's in good shape - should last another 100k miles easily.

I'm just not sure I should keep it - spending more in gas than I probably need to be since a smaller 4wd is probably sufficiently capable for trails and snow.

But as pointed out - it would suck to sell this (good shape, maintained) and buy something that ends up being a money pit - I'm not good a judging used cars. I think I got pretty lucky with this one.

It's not that it doesn't suit my needs. It's just that I'm probably paying extra for capabilities I'm not really using.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12734 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
The amount you spend on gas is minimal in reality. It really is.
You have easily put $2500 into it I bet.
A good quality lower mileage SUV that has some room and is completely capable of going to the store or a camping trip out in the bush is something I personally would keep.

But as I said if you are trying to talk yourself into another rig. Go for it.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19199 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Get a Tacoma nd be done with it. Smile

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4029 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Assuming 10k miles, I’m guessing up to about $1000/yr delta for gas between the lx and a smaller vehicle. You’re right, not really that much. Thinking about this more: I think what’s bothering me is that the lx just sits there unless we take the kayaks out or go on a trip. 3000 miles / yr. if I got something smaller, I’d just have one every day car instead of one car and one truck. More effective insurance and more garage space.

But it is nice to have a capable car just in case.

I’ll keep it for now again. I need to get out and use it more this summer.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
If your life works with one vehicle, then sell one of them. The insurance savings will pay for quite a bit of gas, so keep the LS570. It sounds like it does everything you need it to do, while your other vehicle doesn't.

I went the other way and bought a second vehicle to keep the miles off of my truck. I also drive enough miles that the fuel savings alone more than compensate for the second insurance payment. I still need the truck, but it's now dedicated to towing/hauling 100% of it's miles.

Posts: 10973 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
It's a depreciating asset. If it doesn't suit your needs, what's the point of owning something that is less valuable every day you own it? What utility or benefit are you deriving from it? Get rid of it and move on.

If you ever want to get another, it will always be cheaper tomorrow than it was yesterday.

That's actually not great advice when dealing with certain Toyota models like this one.

His LX has fully depreciated by now and still worth a whole bunch of money. They don't ever really depreciate past 20k if they are in good condition.

So he can continue to drive this vehicle and lose little to now value or he can sell it and buy something either further up the curve or with a steeper curve.

Unless he replaces it with a Tacoma, keeping it will probably be the better financial decision

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
You already have it. It is MORE than capable.

I'd keep it.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My only apparent accomplishment in life is being banned from an ancient forum
posted Hide Post
If it's paid off, every mile you drive in it saves you money compared to getting a new car.

Posts: 166 | Location: Washington State | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
If you do decide to sell...

What color is it and does it have lockers? I am always looking for Land Cruisers and their cousins.
E-mail in profile.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post