SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    gift ideas, please!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

gift ideas, please! Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
My mom is turning 81, she just had a knee replaced, and the recovery isn't going so well - lots of pain and discomfort. I need some gift ideas for her birthday - I'm drawing a blank!

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4946 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
DVD's of favorite old shows...Johnny Carson etc.
TENs unite for knee pain.
Happy Birthday to Mom.

Posts: 1097 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
It's hard to give gift ideas, when we don't know what she is like, what she likes and dislikes.

Q

Posts: 27695 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
flowers and a nice card. A gift certificate to a favorite place. Take her out for lunch. It is not the gift but the idea at that age. Enjoy time together if possible.
Maybe make her a nice meal and bring it to her.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19807 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you live near or is this something that will be sent?

Posts: 1188 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
My experience is that the older crowd (myself included) doesn't really need or want any "item". At that age in life we have most everything we want.

How about a manicure and pedicure followed by a nice lunch or dinner at her favorite place. Or a visit from the grandkids?

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1443 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Everyone can use a machine gun.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32120 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Other than the machine gun… let me suggest flowering bulbs delivered monthly for a predetermined time frame.

My 94 yo Mom loves getting them and showing her neighbors. She can also replant the bulbs next year if she wants.

Here’s where I get them.

https://www.brecks.com/

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6482 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Does she already have a cold therapy machine that circulates ice water through a knee wrap? These are great for knee surgery recovery, and you can get one for $150-$200 on Amazon.

Posts: 33151 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mom went through the same surgery and wife sent her a collection of cards (from Amazon - I think Hallmark) that were blank inside and enough stamps for each envelope. Mom loved it.

Posts: 147 | Location: Chapel Hill, NC | Registered: June 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
An experience. As previously stated, we need to know likes/dislikes in order to help.

Possibly an aura frame that photos can be loaded on…old ones, new ones, etc.?

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5514 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A nice lunch or dinner. Kneaders, Cafe Rio, Zucalos?

I’m sure SLC has some upscale restaurants.

She likey doesn’t need anything, just your time.

P229

Posts: 3953 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Just spend as much time as you can with her. That is what she will appreciate the most.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5728 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
Just spend as much time as you can with her. That is what she will appreciate the most.

This. In spades. You just don't know how much time you have left and she, and you hopefully, will treasure it a lot more than some "thing" you got her.

And then, in case you can't give her your attention (or someone in your family's attention as alternate (like a grandchild's say), get her an experience over a thing any day. Something she can experience and remember.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 2084 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Physical therapy, four days per week, for two months

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55234 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Does she like a cocktail? A bottle of hooch?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53254 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FLKev
posted Hide Post
I gave this book to my Mom for Mother's Day and she absolutely LOVES it! She's 77. She is remembering things she had forgotten and is laughing and sharing everything from her childhood to current day. It will be an awesome piece of history for us to laugh about while reading for generations.

https://www.amazon.com/Mom-Wan...mFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

"It's gon' be some slow singing -n- flower bringing............ if my burglar alarm starts ringing"

Posts: 632 | Location: GATORLAND | Registered: August 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post