SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How do you satisfy your guests that want WELL DONE Roast Beef?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you satisfy your guests that want WELL DONE Roast Beef? Login/Join 
Picture of SIGfourme
posted
Roast beef or Prime Rib should be cooked--I understand that.
I aim for an internal temperature of 120.
Slow roasted for hours- the temperature continues to rise when I stop cooking.
18-20 pound roast.
2 pieces will meet the criteria for medium--the ends.
Microwave? Take a slice of rare and throw it on the BBQ for 2 minutes?

Posts: 2370 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You could probably cut a few slices off the ends when you are down to about 30 minutes and let them cook alongside the rest of the roast. Exposing the thin slices on both sides would get them to well done pretty quickly.

Posts: 9023 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Take a slice of rare and throw it on the BBQ for 2 minutes?

That's usually how I do it. I've used a screaming hot griddle in the past as well for those who want to eat tasteless hockey pucks.

Posts: 324 | Location: GA | Registered: August 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Send them to Arby's !

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4652 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I ask them to leave

Posts: 5532 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Slice it somewhat thin and dunk it in a pan of fairly warm au jus. Be sure that your au jus is flavorful and salted enough though, or else it waters down the flavor of your beef. Obviously I use the drippings in my au jus, but also supplement with either "Better Than Bouillon" beef base, or "Minor's" au jus base.

The upside is that dipping people's slices in the au jus just adds extra flavor to everyone else's au jus!

Posts: 1731 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I have had that happen on steaks ,my responce ,grill is still on and there are the tongs.

Posts: 22420 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
You could probably cut a few slices off the ends when you are down to about 30 minutes and let them cook alongside the rest of the roast. Exposing the thin slices on both sides would get them to well done pretty quickly.

This will result in a dried out and ruined roast. Don't do this.

Cook as normal and then destroy only the slices that need to be well done. Either a grill or a hot skillet can be used.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cut their slices off and finish them on a grill or in a skillet, good hard sear on the sliced part.

Posts: 1186 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
Some people might ask this question a bit different.

How do you satisfy your guest that want RARE Roast Beef?

I, for one, will not eat meat that is rare. I always ask for medium well - well done. And that is how cook all my meat.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4226 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Microwave?

All that will do is make the meat hotter. If run long enough (it would have to be a really long time), you could get this:

But there is no "in-between" with the microwave.

Posts: 28645 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gjgalligan:

I, for one, will not eat meat that is rare. I always ask for medium well - well done. And that is how cook all my meat.

Rare roast beef? Reminds me of being forced to attend some bad holiday buffet, where the male guests wore cheesy, velvet blazers and puffy turtlenecks.

I like my meat well-cooked with a bit of bark; something to exercise the teeth & jaw. If I’m going to lite a fire, use the fire. Plus, the longer cooking time allows one to pour another drink.

I understand that some have opposite taste and prefer rare. I just don’t understand why one would waste fuel just to gloss raw meat with a touch of heat.
Smile

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
Send them to Arby's !

Good answer. I

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I once cooked a large brisket low and slow for 16 hours and after it was sliced one of my guests was poking around at the platter looking for "the well done" part. I think what he was after was burned ends so I dug that out of the scrap pan and he was happy once he poured gravy on it so he could chew it.

All of our meat is cooked on the smoker. I cut the portions off for those who want well done meat, whether roasts or burgers or steaks, and leave it on the grate while the medium rare is resting. I found that two additional minutes per side at 425 degrees will turn a nice medium rare into a medium well done.

I grew up on a farm with a feed lot where we raised USDA Prime beef. My Mom was of the old school and would cook a prime steak to the consistency of shoe leather. They had been taught in the early part of the 20th century to cook everything, especially pork and poultry, well done as a food safety measure. Once I learned about medium rare beef I never turned back. I have found that the preference for the doneness of meat is as much cultural as anything. To each his own, bon apetite' and Merry Christmas!

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4371 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FHHM213:
quote:
Originally posted by gjgalligan:

Rare roast beef? Reminds me of being forced to attend some bad holiday buffet, where the male guests wore cheesy, velvet blazers and puffy turtlenecks.

I like my meat well-cooked with a bit of bark; something to exercise the teeth & jaw. If I’m going to lite a fire, use the fire. Plus, the longer cooking time allows one to pour another drink.

I understand that some have opposite taste and prefer rare. I just don’t understand why one would waste fuel just to gloss raw meat with a touch of heat.
Smile

Why not skip the middleman and just eat the charcoal briquettes if that is what you turn your meat into? Smile

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
Big difference between well done beef and how some of you picture it. It does not have to be a "hockey puck" or a "briquette".

Well done does not mean burnt.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4226 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Pan sear. A little oil in the pan, a splash of red wine maybe.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I do a standing rib roast on my smoker. The probe thermometer is set for an internal temperature that equates to rare. When I pull the roast from the smoker I then wrap it in two layers of heavy duty foil and let it rest for 20-30 minutes.

AFTER the roast has rested I will slice the ends off for those who prefer medium temperature. Anyone who likes medium well to well done gets slices which I take out to the grill and finish up by searing for a minute on each side over a very hot grill (650-750 degrees).

I figure the people I invited are my guests and the extra time really costs me nothing. One small extra step isn't a big deal to me.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If it’s so hard to deal with, why do people invite guests to a dinner that potentially involves so much angst?
I believe very few people will object if chicken or pork is served cooked; either of those meats is therefore unlikely to cause demands for a range of doneness from parasite-friendly to charred.

The other thing I don’t understand is the attitude of, “If you don’t like what I serve, leave.” Somewhere along the line some people evidently missed the memo about what it means to invite guests to our homes. Unless it’s a homeless beggar off the street who is pleading that he’s starving and should be happy with whatever he’s served, the idea is that we’re trying to entertain them, and that includes serving food that they will like.

There are of course limits, but we should explore them in advance of an invitation before deciding whether to extend it, especially if we’re planning something that most of us know that tastes vary about, such as sushi or steak tartare, but even roast beef. Or if they show up and unexpectedly make an outrageous demand (“I don’t eat chicken eggs; only wild-caught partridge eggs for me”), even then we should try to muddle through as best as possible while just quietly resolving to never invite the XYZs ever again.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47678 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
can you just grill them two top sirloins for the last 15 minutes of the cook?

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10571 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post