SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Portuguese Dinner, Spanish Protection
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Portuguese Dinner, Spanish Protection Login/Join 
posted
So up here in the Pacific Northwest today it was overcast & about 65 degrees. Not a scorcher, so I could cook dinner in the crockpot today. Got my ingredients ready for Portuguese Pot Roast:

1 Chopped Medium Onion
4 cloves chopped Garlic
1 tsp. Allspice
10 whole cloves
20 whole peppercorns
3 tbs. Tomato paste
4 bay leafs
¼ tsp cinnamon
2 cups red wine
2 Linguica Sausage
Fresh green beans
Yukon Gold potatoes
5 Lb. Chuck roast (not shown)

First slice Linguica, and fry up in a skillet. When hot and seared, transfer to a plate w/paper towels.

Combine onion, garlic, allspice bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves, peppercorns, and tomato paste, and fry/saute in the left over Linguica grease. Cook for about 10 minutes. (I usually add about a teaspoon of olive oil):

When cooked, transfer to bottom of crock pot:

Next, brown pot roast on all sides in the skillet then transfer to crock pot(on top of the onion mixture):

Next, add the 2 cups wine to the skillet, and boil for about 5 minutes(this get any residual spices/yummy things out of the pan, and also makes it easier to clean):

Pour the hot wine mixture over the pot roast, add Linguica on top of the roast, add water to just cover the roast. Cook in the crock pot on high for 8 hours. After 4 hours, turn the roast over. After 6½ hours add potatoes (slice in two if needed to fit in pot. After 7 hours, add green beans.

Serve with sweet bread (Kings Hawaiian sweet rolls shown). Protection by a Spanish Astra 600/43.

Left overs are always good.......

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
That looks good but we don't have a Linguica sausage store here. What other, easily procurable type would be similar?

Posts: 27162 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
That looks good but we don't have a Linguica sausage store here. What other, easily procurable type would be similar?

I forgot to add, chopped bacon is a good standby, or any kind of a hickory smoked sausage will do.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Very nice. In the winter I make portugese kale soup if the temps drop.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5995 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post