SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Planet Fitness
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Planet Fitness Login/Join 
Picture of BrianC
posted
Anybody have experience with them? I'm looking to join a gym and there's one near me.

"Television is called a medium because nothing on it is well done." -- Fred Allen

Posts: 11139 | Location: Here. Now. | Registered: August 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Just got back from there. I'm 52 and it has everything I need. I have the $10/month membership. I can still attend a class or get instructor guidance. It's clean, and has lots of equipment. I give is 5/5 stars.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe it is worth much more than its monthly fee. Has good equipment and mine is well maintained.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fvyellowbird
posted Hide Post
Unless you’re a power lifter it’ll probably have everything you need. Wife and I both belong, can’t beat the price.

Hell, is other people! J-P S

Posts: 1140 | Location: St Simons Island, Georgia USA! | Registered: October 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
If you can get past the colour scheme, the dress code and the lunk alarm (I could not): They're well-equipped (except for free weights), clean, and you can't beat the price.

Personally, I'd be more likely to spend $1,500 or so to finish-up my home gym before going back to PF--I disliked it that much.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I guess it depends on your style of lifting and working out. Personally, I would never be able to tolerate that atmosphere (or maybe they wouldn't be able to tolerate me). I think everyone I know who has worked out there has been kicked out due to that ridiculous lunk alarm or whatever it's called.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I like them far better than others like LA Fitness who are super aggressive pushing personal trainers and other crap.

PF is pretty much a place to go to that has decent facilities and they won’t bother you. Prices are always better too, it seems like they’ve been 10 bucks a month for a long time now.

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depends what your goals are. I've done one day passes when out of town and they're pretty limited if you want to get serious.
Dumbells only went to maybe 75, no bench, no squat rack, etc.

So fine if you don't need medium/heavy dumbells and are fine using a smith machine.

Posts: 880 | Registered: October 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
The $10/month in a nice area is likely OK. Depends on where you live, the gym situation, and as others have said whether or not you're into heavier free weights.

However, if for example you live 2 miles north of PF and the hood is 2 miles south of PF you could end up with an undesirable element that would like to continue their lifting regiment now that they're out of "college." In that case, I'd rather pay more money to workout and it's more or less what I'm doing.

My Dad belongs to a PF. He lives in suburbia and there are a whole lot of gyms between him and the hood.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
It works for people at the medium level. Newbs kind of flounder around and dont get any help from the staff. Advanced lifters dont get the heavier weights and they only have smith machines.

I love cardio so its great for me. as they have a huge selection of cardio equipment. The whole judgement free zone is marketing BS because they judge everybody and I have never heard the lunk alarm and that makes me happy as it is a stupid concept.

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

the dress code
Tell me about the dress code, please.

I'm 82, some health problems, reinforcing hardware in my hip & thigh, and some balance problems. Doctor thinks I should walk, I don't feel safe walking in my neighborhood (some traffic, no sidewalks, and I'm not confident about my balance). I was thinking of joining a gym just so I could use a treadmill to walk for maybe half hour most days.

Planet Fitness is probably the cheapest around here.

What's the dress code you mentioned?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Please be more specific in your title. Why are you posting a thread about planet fitness? Say so in the title.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

Pretty sure you have to wear assless chaps. Big Grin

Posts: 13112 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
the dress code
Tell me about the dress code, please.

They'll give you the ol' heave-ho if they feel what you're wearing is "inappropriate." They've been known to boot guys for wearing those loose tank-top-looking things with arm holes halfway down their sides and girls with outfits they feel are too revealing.

The dress code didn't directly affect me, and I expect it wouldn't you.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
No short shorts or revealing clothing. No jeans, sweats ok. The one up the street has plenty of retirees as members. You are good to go.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
For 75 percent of gym dwellers, PF is a great choice.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
Pretty sure you have to wear assless chaps. Big Grin
Not a problem. That's what I always wear anyway. I was just wondering whether they mandate a color for OWB holsters.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
WTF is a lunk alarm?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
no jeans, boots, sandals, or string tank tops. Not to stifling really

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
WTF is a lunk alarm?

a buzzer/siren that sounds when a staff member see s lunk behavior like grunting, screaming and throwing weights around. Kind of a passive aggresive warning to follow the rules