SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What kind of knot would you recommend ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What kind of knot would you recommend ? Login/Join 
posted
The task: keeping a fire wood bundle together with natural fiber rope.

12 or 15 pieces of split fire wood weighing 16 pounds total.

To put on display for sale.

Plastic wrap not an option nor plastic bags.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54658 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Truckers hitch

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6234 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
When tying something like that together, I first use a series of half hitches along the length of the bundle, but most important is to finish off with the “parcel bend” knot (extremely useful for other purposes as well):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyvw0iwOxF8

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Why not use a simple square knot?
Are you looking for functional or decorative like a present?

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6327 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Probably absurd in selling firewood, but perhaps a Turks head/some other decorative knot as a distinguishing attribute?

Posts: 5741 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10971 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Function only, pretty not essential.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54658 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
A couple lengths, about 1/3 in from each end, square (aka: reef) knots. Easy, fast, and functional.

Understand the difference between a square/reef knot and a granny knot--the latter of which a double-slipped version is how most people tie their shoes and is not stable. (Which is why their shoes don't stay tied.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
Truckers hitch

Concur, and using a Bowline knot on one end so the entire rope can be untied and used again.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
The "Constrictor Knot" is ideal for this purpose. It consists of a half hitch with an additional bend over the hitch that holds it in place. Tying it requires two loops around the bundle.

I have also used a bowline on the end of the cord and loop the free end through in a rudimentary pulley arrangement. This aids in getting things nice and tight, but puts a lot of strain on the cord due to the two 180 degree bends where the loop bight and free end cross.

A Turk's head would indeed be very attractive, but tying a sizable TH takes a lot of time. The TH's I tied on the ends of my bike handle bars (17 x 8 IIRC) took 40 hours each to tie, double and tighten. This was just to cover the area from the brakes to the end. There are much simpler sennets (e.g. the common braid) that will look almost as decorative, but require far less work.

Posts: 6489 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
One piece of rope with a clove hitch on each end of the bundle would keep it together and serve as a carry handle.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3516 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bowline on one end so you can draw it tight then a couple half hitches…

Posts: 458 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
"Hatchet Knot"...... requires the use of a "hatchet" to release.... Chuckle / Chuckle........... drill sgt.

Posts: 2013 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Love bowlines, use them all the time. Use a bowline on the end and a trucker’s hitch to tie down the tarp around the hay stack, but I wouldn’t get that fancy for bundles to sell. Twine tied with square knots should do fine.

Posts: 6920 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
Love bowlines, use them all the time.

Same here. Every piece of rope that I own has a bowline on one end. 

According to Jethro Gibbs, sailors pronounce this bolin.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10788 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
One piece of rope with a clove hitch on each end of the bundle would keep it together and serve as a carry handle.

I like this suggestion

Posts: 13283 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
"Hatchet Knot"...... requires the use of a "hatchet" to release.... Chuckle / Chuckle........... drill sgt.
Aka: "If you can't tie a knot, tie a lot" Wink

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
Every piece of rope that I own has a bowline on one end. 

May I ask why? I like a bowline and can tie one blindfolded with one hand, but really only use it to tie a line around something. I use a figure eight if I want a nonslip loop at the end of a line. If I want to tie a line to something and don’t want to slip, I use a clove hitch followed by two half hitches. Tying a hammock to a tree for example.

Posts: 10971 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two half hitches. First to tighten the bundle, second to keep the knot tight.

-c1steve

Posts: 4057 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
Every piece of rope that I own has a bowline on one end. 

May I ask why?

First, I'm not that good [can tie one blindfolded with one hand]. Makes it very easy to start a tie down or bind, then finish the other end with a variety of knots, like clove hitches, constrictor knots, etc. Almost all of my use is binding or tying down a load (same as tying around something). I also use square knots quite a bit.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10788 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post