SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Rapidly Dropping...Nevermind...Rapidly Rising Gas Prices
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rapidly Dropping...Nevermind...Rapidly Rising Gas Prices Login/Join 
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
spring break

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Heading back up here in Florida.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Oh will you look at that, another refinery "explosion" just in time. Roll Eyes

West coasters, you are about to get HOSED

California refinery explosion sparks massive fire, temporarily closes 405 freeway near Los Angeles

Posts: 33812 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

Do you really think that the oil companies caused this fire intentionally so that they could charge more for gas? It sure looks like that’s what you’re implying. Do you really think that making an extra $.10 or $.20 a gallon at the retail level would make it so that causing tens to hundreds of millions of dollars in damage, not to mention being swarmed with regulators for a few weeks, would be a profitable endeavor?

Look nobody wants to pay more for gas than is absolutely necessary. And I totally believe that there is all kinds of market manipulation going on in the oil and distillate markets whose sole purpose is to raise profits. But causing a refinery fire to raise the cost of gas is a bit absurd if you ask me. Wouldn’t it just be easier to claim to have some sort of unscheduled maintenance or an unknown breakdown as an excuse to lower production of refined product? I just can’t see this fire or the last one, or the one before that, etc. being intentionally caused as an effort to stick it to the consumer, that’s crazy.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5578 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lt CHEG:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

Do you really think that the oil companies caused this fire intentionally so that they could charge more for gas? It sure looks like that’s what you’re implying. Do you really think that making an extra $.10 or $.20 a gallon at the retail level would make it so that causing tens to hundreds of millions of dollars in damage, not to mention being swarmed with regulators for a few weeks, would be a profitable endeavor?

Look nobody wants to pay more for gas than is absolutely necessary. And I totally believe that there is all kinds of market manipulation going on in the oil and distillate markets whose sole purpose is to raise profits. But causing a refinery fire to raise the cost of gas is a bit absurd if you ask me. Wouldn’t it just be easier to claim to have some sort of unscheduled maintenance or an unknown breakdown as an excuse to lower production of refined product? I just can’t see this fire or the last one, or the one before that, etc. being intentionally caused as an effort to stick it to the consumer, that’s crazy.
Lt CHEG, good post but it’s even more absurd than you’re stating it. If anyone looks up both refinery owners and EIA refinery capacity data (ie publicly available data) they’ll see that in the 2 explosions in this thread:
  • the 5th largest refinery in the US blew up and its owner cannot make up the revenue with its other Gulf Coast refineries to supply refined product to PADD 1C (90+% gulf coast), PADD 1B & 1A (~50% Gulf Coast), PADD 2, and PADD 3.
  • Marathon’s largest refinery in PADD 5 blew up and they cannot make up the revenue with its other PADD 5 refineries to supply refined product to PADD 5.

Refining is a for profit business that runs off single digit cents per gallon margins, and nobody is going to blow themselves up so their competitors can make money while they lose money.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23261 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of lkdr1989
    posted Hide Post
    Just filled up at Costco, $2.48 regular, same as last Friday, when I filled up.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of bushpilot
    posted Hide Post
    All my oil stocks are down now. They all pay some dividends now so I am not selling them for a loss but will hang on until they recover, and they will recover. Have faith as the pump price rises and falls on rumors more than anything.

****************************************************W5SCM
    "We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Lt CHEG
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    Lt CHEG, good post but it’s even more absurd than you’re stating it. If anyone looks up both refinery owners and EIA refinery capacity data (ie publicly available data) they’ll see that in the 2 explosions in this thread:
  • the 5th largest refinery in the US blew up and its owner cannot make up the revenue with its other Gulf Coast refineries to supply refined product to PADD 1C (90+% gulf coast), PADD 1B & 1A (~50% Gulf Coast), PADD 2, and PADD 3.
  • Marathon’s largest refinery in PADD 5 blew up and they cannot make up the revenue with its other PADD 5 refineries to supply refined product to PADD 5.

Refining is a for profit business that runs off single digit cents per gallon margins, and nobody is going to blow themselves up so their competitors can make money while they lose money.

• Well said. Nobody loves that gas prices are settled over $2 per gallon nationwide, but accounting for inflation it’s probably not too bad and not too far off from the $1.20 I used to pay when I first started driving almost 25 years ago. It is definitely clear that there is nowhere near enough margin in refining that they could afford to sabotage millions of dollars worth of equipment in the hopes of raising prices a bit. Fuel is becoming a lot like tobacco products, that is the only ones making a killing on the sale is the government with all their taxes.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5578 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Not really from Vienna
    Picture of arfmel
    posted Hide Post
    Went down a nickel per gallon here today, after holding steady at $2.79 for weeks.

Posts: 26906 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of P250UA5
    posted Hide Post
    $1.979/gal for 87 at the HEB by my house.
    $1.999/gal for 87 at the Exxon where I normally get fuel.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15327 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Dances With
    Tornados
    posted Hide Post
    $1.78 at OKC Costco

Posts: 11846 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    1.759 for regular today at the Costco in Memphis.

Posts: 1127 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post