SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Eheat wall-mount heaters, anyone?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eheat wall-mount heaters, anyone? Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
I hope this doesn't turn into another "space heaters are evil" thread, but I wanted to ask about this wall-mount heater I've seen advertised for several years.

It's a product called Envi, from Eheat.

I've got a small room in the garage, roughly 10' by 12', that currently has a baseboard heater. The former owner of this house had that room built as his office -- I don't spend much time there (block walls, no carpet) but would like to make it more comfortable so that I could. The baseboard heater stinks when it runs, and it takes up valuable wall space where I'd like to place or build a cabinet. I'd like to remove it. This panel seems very affordable, isn't nearly as wide as that baseboard unit, and could be moved easily to a different wall if I wanted to rearrange the room later.

Anyone here dealt with one of these? Got good or bad experiences? Is the device truly safer than the average space heater (which I don't want to use)?

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Is the device truly safer than the average space heater (which I don't want to use)?

No, it's still a device which plugs into a standard electrical outlet.

Buy a heater which is hardwired and on its own properly sized circuit.
Marley and QMark make good heaters. They have in-wall and flush mounted heaters in 120 and 240 volt.

https://www.electricsupplieson...Z4KIqbhoCj00QAvD_BwE

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I couldn’t testify to safer but a friend of mine who also is on this forum uses some of those and loves them. They aren’t blast furnaces but for a small space, given a little time it should heat the room adequately.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
At only a 4A max current draw, I wouldn't worry about stressing any circuits, unless the circuit has other loads. That unit looks far safer than any portable unit.

You didn't ask about this, so perhaps it's out-of-bounds, but have you considered a small DIY mini-split? It could heat and cool, and would use far less power than any resistance style heater.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8218 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
No, it's still a device which plugs into a standard electrical outlet.

For what it's worth, the company offers hardwired versions as well.

quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
You didn't ask about this, so perhaps it's out-of-bounds, but have you considered a small DIY mini-split?

I hadn't, but I'd be willing to learn. The previous owner stuffed a window-style A/C through the wall for some cooling. I haven't used it in forever, but it pours a ton of hot air into the garage (which is already too warm in the summer). Please tell us more about DIY mini-split systems.

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Another vote to consider a mini split unit.
We just had a dual zone split system installed in the house we bought and it is whisper quiet.

Ours is a Mitsubishi unit and I’ve even seen ones that are geared for homeowners to do a self install but I didn’t feel comfortable going that route. It will cost more but could be worth it.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6317 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would have to be a real small space for 500 watts to do much good.

I have been using the Lasko 1500 watt heater to heat 10x10 st ft heat less area in the winter.

Works well used them for decades.

Takes a wile to get the room to temp.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post