SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    British Gun Activist Loses Firearms Licences after Saying French Should Have Been Able to Defend Themselves with Handguns Following Bataclan Massacre
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

British Gun Activist Loses Firearms Licences after Saying French Should Have Been Able to Defend Themselves with Handguns Following Bataclan Massacre Login/Join 
posted
A shooting activist says he has lost his firearms licences after his YouTube videos advocating gun rights became a 'forum for extremism.'

Callum Long Collins, who runs the English Shooting YouTube channel, confirmed that the police are not going to reinstate his licences after they were revoked in 2016.

Mr Long-Collins, 28, from Fareham, Hampshire, said the police took action after he called for the French to be able to use handguns for self defence in the wake of the 2015 Paris terror attacks.

The clip, titled: 'Paris Attacks: Time for Self Defence' which has now been deleted, was one of a number attracting comments which the police said were 'promoting views that were not in line with legal firearms ownership in the UK.'

Callum Long Collins (pictured) who runs the English Shooting YouTube channel, confirmed that the police are not going to reinstate his licences after they were revoked in 2016.

According to The Times, in a message to his 17,000 YouTube subscribers, Mr Long-Collins said: 'I was told that due to repeated comments from other people on the videos, [the police] felt that the channel was a forum of extremism and it was promoting views that were not in line with legal firearms ownership in the UK.'

He told the paper: 'The main issue was a video that I made around the Paris attacks where I advocated the French to be able to use handguns for self-defence because of the frequency of attacks that were happening at the time.'

Mr Long-Collins lost an appeal against the decision to revoke his gun licences in 2016 at Portsmouth crown court.

Mr Long Collins (pictured in an image on his Facebook page) said in a BBC interview in 2016 that it felt 'illegal' in the UK to have any sort of opinion on gun rights and using guns for self defence

He has been told by police recently that they are unlikely to reinstate the licences in the near future, The Times reports.

In a BBC interview in 2016 Mr Long Collins said it felt 'illegal' in the UK to have any sort of opinion on gun rights and using guns for self defence.

Mr Long-Collins told the times that police had reviewed his licences over 'a false allegation of assault.'

But he said they then became concerned about his social media output.

Mr Long Collins, pictured on a shooting range, said police took action after they became concerned about the 'social media output'

Mr Long-Collins said that he wanted to 'open up the conversation'.

Tony Hill, the head of firearms licensing at Hampshire police, said that when certificates were revoked it was 'because we have real concerns that public safety could be at risk.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...rearms-licences.html

Posts: 387 | Location: NYC | Registered: October 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
If it's not an absolute right, it's permission. Permission can be rescinded.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29704 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Man, our Founders sure knew what they were about when they wrote our Constitution and Bill of Rights.

Imagine having your RKBA infringed upon for expressing political views.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
This is what happens when you have neither a second amendment right to keep and bear arms nor a first amendment right to freedom of speech.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
something something to seek permission is to seek denial

Posts: 1801 | Location: Possum Kingdom, TX | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Kneel before your Lords, subject.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
This is the difference between a Subject to a crown and a free citizen protected by a Constitution.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37966 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
This is what happens when you have neither a second amendment right to keep and bear arms nor a first amendment right to freedom of speech.

We are, at best, one election or one executive order away from losing completely both rights and more.

Who here thinks we have First Amendment rights to free speech when we don't dare wear a MAGA hat in public, and the Border Wall funders have to disguise their emblem? How many governments, state and local, for example, require that you not support the NRA if you want to do business with them? I mean, besides California and Chicago?

In every state but two (I think), RKBA has been surrendered to those states where a CCW is required to actually bear those arms.

As far as I'm concerned, our First and Second Amendment rights are nearly gone already. National gun control started in 1934 and became total in 1968, with total disarmament a resultant possibility that has been staring us in the face ever since. First Amendment rights have been savaged since at least the J Edgar Hoover era of the FBI (see MLK and Frank Sinatra files, for a beginning point).

And somehow, we're supposed to be good with this gradual erosion. No, the Bill of Rights is supposed to protect the People from the Government. It's not intended to be the basis for a set of rules written by the Government for us to be subject to.

Sorry, I try to avoid ranting like this, since I have enough trouble sleeping at night as it is. I just see us as a country being closer to England, France, and Germany than we think we are.

"Love your Country, but fear its Government!"
--Daniel Webster

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9161 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I’m not the least bit surprised. And sadly, the British citizenry lost their ability to defend themselves from an overreaching government a long time ago.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15584 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:

We are, at best, one election or one executive order away from losing completely both rights and more.

That's quite ridiculous, isn't it? One executive order away? Come on. I simply have to disagree with that.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Are Long Collins and Long-Collins one or two people?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20825 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OMCHamlin:
I forget, don't we have a few "Subjects of the Crown" here? I'm sure they'll be along shortly to explain all of this...

Or dismiss it with a "Well, you American cowboys are all crazy anyway..."
What is the purpose of taunting your fellow members? Does this help in any way? Just cool your jets.

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
I'm certain that there are many Brits opposed to this type of over-reach by their elected leaders and protest it, but I place the blame squarely on the British citizens who either voted for politicians that carry out this type of tyranny or who fail to vote at all, and on the shoulders of the citizens who, by lack of action, allow this type of tyranny to continue... and I apply this same standard to the U.S. citizens who allow examples of government over-reach to exist and continue unchecked.

As willing as some elected representatives are to seize power and exceed their authority they generally don't get into office without the support of citizens who voted for them, or failed to vote at all, and failed to protest excess.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
How do the liberty loving law abiding UK citizens push back? How do they say no, this is heavy handed bullshit. What can they do? They are outnumbered by nanny state loving sheep and idiots. I feel bad for the gun enthusiasts there who have to live under such an oppressive evil government.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21109 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OMCHamlin:
I forget, don't we have a few "Subjects of the Crown" here? I'm sure they'll be along shortly to explain all of this...

Or dismiss it with a "Well, you American cowboys are all crazy anyway..."

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
I'm certain that there are many Brits opposed to this type of over-reach by their elected leaders and protest it, but I place the blame squarely on the British citizens who either voted for politicians that carry out this type of tyranny or who fail to vote at all, and on the shoulders of the citizens who, by lack of action, allow this type of tyranny to continue... and I apply this same standard to the U.S. citizens who allow examples of government over-reach to exist and continue unchecked.

As willing as some elected representatives are to seize power and exceed their authority they generally don't get into office without the support of citizens who voted for them, or failed to vote at all, and failed to protest excess.

Although I am a marginal Brit - 1/8th to be exact, I nevertheless live here, and have to abide by the laws, just like anybody else. There are over 65 million people on these crowded little islands - a voting population of around 30 million, I'd guess.

There are less than 2 million shooters in the entire population, and our voices, as a group, are not listened to. Back when our handguns were taken away in the late 90's, we had a march into London to present a petition. There were over half a million signatures on the petition, and around 100,000 law-abiding and calm and collected marchers. There were, incidentally, only 57,000 handgun shooters in total in Great Britain - there are more in Nacogdoches County TX.

We, and our petition, were firmly ignored.

It's not lack of action - it's the way that government is organised that gets in the way. And over twenty years after the Dunblane Massacre, and in spite of admitting that the mainland GB handgun ban has done nothing to curb gun crime, ANY member of parliament who stood up at prime minister's question time in the morning and asked the House to consider a review of the 1997 Firearms Act would be looking for a job after lunch.

Callum is not a friend of mine, but I have supported him and his Youtube articles - English shooting' since the onset. Yes, he has been shat on, and no it's not fair, but that, friends on the SIG forum, is what we who live here have to put up with on an almost daily basis. No other body of sportsmen/women has to go through the hoops that we do in order to pursue our sport. We open our past and present lives to the authorities, give assent to our medical histories being open to perusal if necessary, are bound by so many laws, rules and regulations regarding the use and secure storage of our firearms, that it's hard to see why we bother at all.

Nevertheless, we do, in spite of endless attempts by 'huggers' to take away what we still have.

Coming on this site for the last sixteen years or so might have been one of the biggest mistakes I ever made, as some here have reminded me from time to time, but back then, it was to put right a comment that here in UK we are all nothing but a bunch of 'sheeple', 'panty-waisted cowards' and 'yellow-bellies', content to bow our heads to the PTB in order to have our few guns. At that time we were in the middle of a war in the Middle East, with over fifty thousand British military personnel right there with you, so I felt a mite aggrieved to read stuff like that on a forum like this.

Thankfully, most here know that is far from the truth, but that is mainly down to the 40 -50 per cent of my posts that try and correct the ignorance of those who post this stuff.

I'll tell you now, again, that for the average politician here in UK, the matter of gun ownership is not any kind of an issue - it is simply so far outside their remit as to be a sport that happens 'in another country'. Shooting sports are hardly ever mentioned here, unless somebody has won a medal in some games.

I'll continue to post here, correcting any misconceptions that I am able to, but I'm now saying that henceforth ANY shitty remarks heading my way will be ignored. I'm not here to get shat on by anybody, but will gladly share gun stuff within my limited accessiblity.

A very few here have actually met with me here in England, and know from first hand experience what it's like for those of us who shoot for fun and relaxation. One of them likened shooting here to simultaneously firing off a gun and tearing up twenty dollar bills whilst also tearing your hair out in frustration.

I guess that about sums it up.

Posts: 11329 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
So you can have a gun as long as you don't want to use the gun?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
For those not familiar with Callum's postings on Youtube - they were a very calm and collected set of well-constructed posts about LEGAL shooting here in UK, how we go about it, what we CAN and CANNOT have, and how to go about getting into shooting. If he posted anything else, somewhere, I know nothing about it, but if he is reading this, I want him to know that I fully support his comment that a citizenship that carried legal concealed arms my have resulted in a different outcome in Paris at the time.

As for his name, doubling of a surname is not uncommon here, nor in the USA either - just be grateful that I don't post MY full name, of which 'tac' is just a partial acronym.

Posts: 11329 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
Coming on this site for the last sixteen years or so might have been one of the biggest mistakes I ever made, as some here have reminded me from time to time, ...

Only you can be the judge of that, but I, for one, appreciate your presence and your efforts to correct the record.

quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
I'll continue to post here, correcting any misconceptions that I am able to, but I'm now saying that henceforth ANY shitty remarks heading my way will be ignored.

With age, comes wisdom, they say Smile. Maybe it's finally taking hold with me, as well. Witness a convo I had on another forum, recently:

Complainant: "This piece of gear is doing <this> and <that> on my network."
Me: "That is often an indication of issues with the network gear."
Complainant: "It can't be my network gear."
Me, noting that, in his response, he listed some of the network gear most often found to be at fault: "If you say so." (Meanwhile thinking...)

Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
We sometimes here take for granted that we have the US Constitution. Maybe take a moment and think about how different our country would be today without just the first and second amendments being recognized thereof.

Or if we didn't have the Electoral College. We have huge advantages over other countries in regards to maintaining our freedoms despite ourselves. God bless our Forefathers.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post