SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why does Apple not have restart button on their phones?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why does Apple not have restart button on their phones? Login/Join 
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted
I'm an admitted Android user/Apple hater (Galaxy S20 for personal use) but am stuck using an Apple SE (2nd gen) for work Frown

After restarting my phones today (I will do so every few days or so) I thought about how easy it is to restart my Galaxy but how much of a PITA it is to restart that stupid iPhone.

Why does Apple not have a restart button on their phones?

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Not an expert, but, I simply turn my iPhone off for 10 seconds. Then I turn it on again.

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
The hard restart is to simultaneously hold down the home and power button.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
FYI, my iPhone 11, needs to be off for greater than 30 seconds before trying to start back up. No idea if the SE is the same way, but something to keep in mind.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38677 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:

so not too hard!!!

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
They had a reset button or I guess you could call it a method by which you could force a hard reset. The thing with Apple you have to understand is they have a true and unshakeable commitment to changing things on their phone after it’s been a feature long enough for people to discover it and get used to it.

I won’t say anything bad about Apple. In my love / hate relationship I have learned to appreciate their robust devices.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Isn't there two methods for a hard restart on that phone? One is a little complicated (press UP VOLUME, press DOWN VOLUME, press SIDE BUTTON, slide off when slider appears), but the other is relatively simple (press and hold SIDE BUTTON, slide off when slider appears).

You're supposed to try the simple method first, but if that doesn't work, use the alternate complicated method.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16354 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:

Newer iPhones have no home button.

Also if your screen frozen then follow the above procedure with volume buttons but hold side button until it restarts (Apple logo). My iPhone X has been having frequent screen freezes lately.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12437 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
My Galaxy is simple. Hold the power button and this pops up:

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
^That method doesn't work with your SE (using the side button)?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16354 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:

No. I have to hold the power button for 10 seconds or so, then the phone powers off. I then have to wait, push the power button again and the phone powers up. I then have to enter my secret code and then the phone will boot up.

And don't get me started on not being able to use my thumbprint until after the phone has had the secret code put in after the phone has been re-booted the 1st timeRoll Eyes (I have to have a secret code for work because I have my work email on the phone.) I do like the fingerprint reader (after the code has been entered.)

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Apple says there are 4 different methods depending on which iPhone you have.

https://support.apple.com/guid...one-iph8903c3ee6/ios

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by remsig:
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:

No. I have to hold the power button for 10 seconds or so, then the phone powers off. I then have to wait, push the power button again and the phone powers up. I then have to enter my secret code and then the phone will boot up.

Well, I think that's the procedure I described. Press the Side Button (you do have to wait for about 5 seconds), then the Slider Button appears. Slide off, then wait another 5 seconds.

To turn back on (after waiting the 5 seconds), press and hold the Side Button again (yes, for about 5 seconds), wait for the Apple, then wait for the log-in code screen.

It's not really as complicated as it sounds once you get used to it.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Actually, what iOS are you running on your phone? Maybe it's a different version with a different procedure.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I would honestly say there's something wrong with your iPhone, if you're restarting it every few days. I can't remember the last time I had to restart my phone outside of an update.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
^Could be an app, too. I have an older app on my 8 that's a bit buggy. Have to restart fairly often only because of the one app.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I hold the power and volume up buttons simultaneously.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
^Hey, that works, too. Also works with the down button.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by remsig:
I'm an admitted Android user/Apple hater (Galaxy S20 for personal use) but am stuck using an Apple SE (2nd gen) for work Frown

After restarting my phones today (I will do so every few days or so) I thought about how easy it is to restart my Galaxy but how much of a PITA it is to restart that stupid iPhone.

Why does Apple not have a restart button on their phones?

I have three old iPhone SE's here, and the way to "reset" them has already been mentioned; hold the home button and the power button down at the same time until it restarts! My iPhone 6S Plus is the same way, and personally I don't want a higher model!

Cheers!

Posts: 4585 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
I would honestly say there's something wrong with your iPhone, if you're restarting it every few days. I can't remember the last time I had to restart my phone outside of an update.

It's version 14.7.1. While I don't like the phone I take care of it. I've had it maybe a year now with no issues.